Anyone up for a real-life MLB baseball game?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Jim

Anyone up for a real-life MLB baseball game?

#1 Post by Jim »

I am interested in going to a real-life MLB baseball game with real-life GMs/owners of PEBA/LRS teams.

If you would be interested in going to a real-life MLB game this season, please pick the city of the MLB team you would like to see.

I think after we choose the location, we could then sort out which date would be best for everyone.

Tyler, I know you've been working on the map, and mentioned something along these lines which actually put the seed into my brain. I hope I haven't stepped on your toes by starting this thread.

I was going to make this a poll, but later decided that if people put their criteria in words, they would have more flexibility in specifying what suits their needs. For example, someone might be willing to fly to any city if necessary. This type information cannot easily be specified by poll.
Last edited by Jim on Thu May 03, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Anyone up for a real-life MLB baseball game?

#2 Post by Tyler »

Cliff Hangers wrote:Tyler, I know you've been working on the map, and mentioned something along these lines which actually put the seed into my brain. I hope I haven't stepped on your toes by starting this thread.
Not at all! :D

Based on the map (which is incomplete), I think either Cleveland or Chicago are our best bets, with Milwaukee, St. Louis, Detroit, and Pittsburgh as equally non-ideal-but-possible alternates.

I can make most any weekend game (which I assume is what we would target) all season given enough notice.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Leones »

A very cool idea!
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Jim

#4 Post by Jim »

Saint Louis would be my top choice, but it doesn't look like there are many other owners near Saint Louis.

My next choice would be a city I could make a one day road trip to.
Kansas City
Chicago
Cincinnati
Milwaukee

My next choice would be a road trip where I'd need split the driving across 2 days.
Detroit
Atlanta
Cleveland
Minnesota

I would next consider flying to anywhere else, but squeezing the money out of my budget might be very difficult.
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Mike Dunn »

Alleghenies wrote:Based on the map (which is incomplete), I think either Cleveland or Chicago are our best bets, ...
Does Cleveland have a major league team?

:lol: Jussssst kidddinnnng :grin:
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Bill »

Ghosts wrote:
Alleghenies wrote:Based on the map (which is incomplete), I think either Cleveland or Chicago are our best bets, ...
Does Cleveland have a major league team?

:lol: Jussssst kidddinnnng :grin:

Yes, in fact they have a first place baseball team :wink:

(for at least one more day)

Good idea about a baseball game. Not sure if I could swing it. I burn my one "Man's Weekend" for my fantasy draft in March. But I would try to come.
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Arroyos »

Warriors wrote:
Ghosts wrote: Good idea about a baseball game. Not sure if I could swing it. I burn my one "Man's Weekend" for my fantasy draft in March. But I would try to come.
If you get one "Man's Weekend," do you get one "Woman's Weekend" too? We could all dress in drag so you could get out of the house. ;-7
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Lions »

I would consider flying to Chicago or New York. Seattle is the only major league city close enough for me to drive to. I have family in Chicago and close enough to New York that I could potentially make a weekend trip out of it with my family. I'd feel bad leaving my wife with both kids by herself at home.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

Chicago is within driving range for me. I'd certainly be up for a trip if there are enough interested members to make a day of it.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Hitmen »

I would be up for Chicago as its driving distance as well. I believe Duane brought this up in another thread in the past as well as seemingly there are a bunch of us around the Chicago area.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Nigel »

Chicago is a city I've always fancied going too but I don't think the finances are there this year .... but give me a months notice and I mi ....ght be able to sort something
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Tyler »

If we want to start thinking about getting a little more specific (as it looks like we have a pretty decent number of members interested), the Cubs and/or White Sox have home games on every day this summer except:
  • May 10, 21, 31
  • June 4, 11, 21
  • July 2, 9-12, 16, 20-22, 26
  • August 2, 16-19, 23
  • September 6
That's actually pretty good coverage for pretty much any weekend this summer (I assume we would want to target a weekend for those also visiting their families/travel time).
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by John »

I'm eying the Blue Jays-White Sox game on Saturday, July 7 @ 3:10 p.m. CT. School is out at that time, so members with children may find it easier to make this a family outing. It's a weekend afternoon game, making it more convenient for those of us who have to drive a distance to get there. Thoughts on this date?
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Tyler »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:I'm eying the Blue Jays-White Sox game on Saturday, July 7 @ 3:10 p.m. CT. School is out at that time, so members with children may find it easier to make this a family outing. It's a weekend afternoon game, making it more convenient for those of us who have to drive a distance to get there. Thoughts on this date?
I'm going to essentially withdraw from planning since I will be able to make virtually any game already living in the city.

(Based on John's criteria, btw, the Cubs-Astros game on Saturday, June 30 @ 3:05 PM CT would work, as would Cubs-Diamondbacks on Saturday, July 14 @ 3:05 PM CT and Cubs-Reds on Saturday, August 11 @ 3:05 PM CT. But the Cubs use a tiered ticket-pricing system, and all three of those games feature the most expensive tickets.)

The White Sox use "dynamic ticket pricing" all year, so tickets can change prices up or down for any game at any time. In practice, I have no idea how common or varied this is. Currently the cheapest tickets are $19, which is better than the Cubs. StubHub currently doesn't feature anything below face value but that will change as we get closer to the game date.

I think John has nailed the ideal date*/time/price, so now it's a matter of seeing what works for people.

*It's Alexie Ramirez bobblehead day! I wish I cared! :P
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Jim

#15 Post by Jim »

I would be completely flexible to go to any game in Chicago. Except in the rarest circumstances, I'd be able to arrange my schedule around our plans with enough advance notice.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”