Tell us about your fantasy baseball team(s)

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tell us about your fantasy baseball team(s)

#1 Post by John »

It's that time of year: fantasy baseball drafts are starting up all over the place. Those of us who participate in the Let's Go Tribe! leagues have already drafted.

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but this is the area where PEBA has had the biggest out-of-game impact on me. Used to be that the start of the fantasy season would be a big deal for me. Not even remotely so this year: I barely am paying attention at all. OOTP, with all its depth and intricacies, has spoiled me for basic fantasy leagues. Plus I must confess that I'm more interested in the fictional players of PEBA than actual major leaguers. Show me one MLB'er with as interesting a back story as Jack Cobb!

Still, I'll dutifully be participating in my fair share of fantasy leagues. Chris of the Tempe Knights runs an outstanding league that will easily be the one I pay the most attention to this year. I'm also in a keeper league that I've won two years straight, although I won't be paying nearly as much attention this year.

And then there's the aforementioned LGT H2H league. My lack of preparedness really showed up in my poor draft. I picked 9th overall. There were 8 players I was really interested in... and all 8 went before I was up! :-P Props to the LGT'ers for their astute picks. Here's how my draft played out:

1. (9) Nick Markakis OF - Very disappointed with this pick
2. (16) Robinson Canó 2B - Never been a fan, but the drop-off at 2B after him is huge
3. (33) Carlos Peña 1B - Best power potential remaining at this point
4. (40) Roy Halladay SP - A solid workhorse to anchor my staff
5. (57) Mariano Rivera RP - My only closer better have a solid year!
6. (64) Daisuke Matsuzaka SP - I believe a better 2nd year is in order
7. (81) Josh Hamilton OF - Risk/reward; could be big, could be perpetually injured
8. (88 ) Hank Blalock 3B - See above
9. (105) José Guillén OF - Absolute worse pick of the draft. :-P
10. (112) Jason Varitek C - Another crummy pick; I'll probably start Navarro more and I got him 8 rounds later
11. (129) Yuniesky Betancourt SS - Scraping the bottom of the barrel, but there's hope for improvement at least
12. (136) Frank Thomas Util - A decent power source this late
13. (153) Justin Duchscherer RP - If he stays healthy, starter innings from the RP position
14. (160) Ervin Santana SP - Crossing my fingers for a bounce-back
15. (177) Carlos Gómez OF - Pretty much my one serious SB threat
16. (184) Kevin Millwood SP - 2005 is long gone...
17. (201) Jonny Gomes OF - Again, a decent late-round power source if he gets playing time
18. (208) Dioner Navarro C - I probably like him better than Varitek
19. (225) Andy Sonnanstine SP - Not expecting much, but the BB/K ratio last year sure was nice
20. (232) Wilson Betemit 1B,3B,SS - If only he somehow wins a starting spot in that Yankees lineup...
21. (249) Manny Delcarmen RP - Not a bad final pick; he may be 1st in line for saves if Papelbon goes down
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#2 Post by Tyler »

I just accepted the following trade offer in a 16-team keeper league:

I give up:

Ty Wigginton
Francisco Liriano
Grady Sizemore :cry:

I get:

Joe Borowski :lol:
Tom Gordon
Ken Griffey Jr.
C.C. Sabathia :grin:

My team is deep in outfielders, absolutely overflowing with top-notch pitching, and completely devoid of relief help and power bats. If this isn't a steal for me then I don't know what is.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Ghosts »

I've got this team, there's named the Bakersfield Bears.

And i fantasize about them every single day.

Oh, you meant other fantasy teams? none! who needs them?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

Bears wrote:Oh, you meant other fantasy teams? none! who needs them?
I echo these sentiments. :grin:
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Coqui »

Bears wrote: And i fantasize about them every single day.
So many jokes...
Badgers

#6 Post by Badgers »

It would take me a long time to post my team, one that I am not that pleased with. :(
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Duane »

I am in 5 DMB leagues (2 with actual winnings on the line)
No way I can get into these at this time.
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Ghosts »

Longshoremen wrote:
Bears wrote: And i fantasize about them every single day.
So many jokes...

for the record, that was intentionally self-deprecating. though i'm glad somebody bit.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#9 Post by Matt »

I echo the sentiments about not being that much into the fantasy leagues this year. I am much more into PEBA and the total experience. I haven't participated in a single practice draft yet, and the two main leagues I play in are drafting Sunday. Going by the seat of my pants this year, but the fact that I listen to MLB on XM religiously all day long 365 days a year while driving the highways will probably serve me well.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Denny »

Yes, I too am much less interested in my fantasy team this year--only one team instead of two or three, and barely caring about that one. I hadn't expected PEBA to affect me this much, but it's just so much more immersive. It's like, um, well, I don't know....something simple, unrealistic, and sorta pedestrian compared to something complex, realistic, and all-consuming.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by John »

For the record, my keeper league roster:

Mauer, Joe C MIN
Fielder, Prince 1B MIL
Upton, B.J. 2B TB
Braun, Ryan 3B MIL
Furcal, Rafael SS LAD
Abreu, Bobby OF NYY
Burrell, Pat OF PHI
Milledge, Lastings OF WAS
Cueto, Johnny SP CIN
Hamels, Cole SP PHI
Kennedy, Ian SP NYY
Lincecum, Tim SP SF
Myers, Brett SP PHI
Percival, Troy RP TB
Soria, Joakim RP KC

BENCH:
Betemit, Wilson 1B,3B,SS NYY
Bush, Dave SP MIL
Damon, Johnny OF NYY
LaRoche, Adam 1B PIT
Sonnanstine, Andy SP TB

I should mention that Paul Bober of the Reno Tenpinners competes in this league as well. Some of his stars include Albert Pujols, Ryan Zimmerman, Jason Bay and a crazy rotation of Beckett, Bedard, Matsuzaka, Mussina and Sabathia. My team is called "TransAction Jackson" while his is "Bober's Bombers".
Matt
VIP
VIP

#12 Post by Matt »

My team sucks. I have a Yankee. Although team morale seems to have climbed since he went on the DL.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by John »

You don't know how down I was about having three Yankees on my team. I let out an audible, dejected sigh when I selected Johnny Damon.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Tyler »

Only one Yankee on my team, the aforementioned Damon. :lol:
Matt
VIP
VIP

#15 Post by Matt »

At least I didn't get steroid boy and his brittle hammy this year. Just HGH boy and his back spasms. Writhe in pain you bastard!!!

Did you see my teams performance in SBL today? 6 homers so far, would have been 7 had I started Gutierrez.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”