Video game sales update thread

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video game sales update thread

#1 Post by John »

Use this thread to alert league members to hot video game sales!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video game sales update thread

#2 Post by John »

Since I know we have some turn-based game fans here, I'll being up that Steam is having a sale on the Worms series. For $20, you can get the Worms Complete Pack. It contains the latest Worms game, Worms: Reloaded, plus all the DLC for that game and a number of older Worms titles. If you just want Worms: Reloaded, you can pick that up for $5.

It has been a long time since I played a Worms game, but I adored the first two games in the series. If you ever played the old classic Scorched Earth, you'll be familiar with the style of game play here. The series has been criticized for creative stagnation over the years, but newcomers won't have to worry about that; they can just enjoy the classic Worms gameplay. And it's playable online, so you can blow up your wormy friends when you're finished with the single-player game! Not a bad deal for just $5.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Mike Dunn »

Steam of course is still in the midst of its holiday sale, which include daily deals and discounts through the 2nd.

Just reduced to a whopping $2.50 is the wonderfully titled space sim "Space Pirates and Zombies" or better known by its acronym SPAZ.

Reasons you should get this:

1) It is indie in the truest sense of the word. It was made by two guys working out of their garages who funded it themselves.
2) Its gotten some raves, including from noted game critic Tom Chick and the Rock Paper Shotgun site in Britain.
3) It's $2.50, which is probably less than the cappuccino you just bought.
4) There's a demo you can try if you don't want to commit to the $2.50
5) Who doesn't loves things set in space? With pirates? And zombies?
6) I suck at space sims and didn't find this one too hard.

Also on sale is the grand strategy game Hearts of Iron III. If this screenshot gets you excited, you should grab it:
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#4 Post by Zephyrs »

I bought HOI 3 a while ago and couldn’t figure out the game. It was painfully boring but, I am guessing that I just didn’t know how to play well enough to enjoy it.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Evas »

I have been eating this Steam sale up all week. I picked up a bunch of games cheaply. Even if I only enjoy them for one afternoon, it is easily worth it for these prices:

Here is what I have bought so far:
Audio Surf ($2.50) - Turns your music in to a track that you navigate, collocting blocks. Very fun. Worth it.
Atom Zombie Smasher ($2.50) - Fun strategic view zombie plague fighting game. Worth it.
Sequence ($1.25) - Rhythm game, which I am apparently physically unable to do. Not worth it.
Solar 2 ($2.50) - 2D space physics sandox game. I hadn't played a game like it before I enjoyed it. Worth it.
Revenge of the Titans ($2.50) - RTS/Tower Defense. Just bought it. Fun so far. Worth it.

Lot's of good stuff there. Steam is the best.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by John »

Evas wrote:I have been eating this Steam sale up all week. I picked up a bunch of games cheaply.
Yeah, I've been dabbing my toes into it, too. Picked up King's Bounty: Platinum Edition for $8.74, Worms Reloaded for $4.99, and Bastion for $5.09. Great deals on some really fun games (and thankfully, the kind of games where I can play for just a few minutes at a time... usually, all the time I have!).
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Mike Dunn »

Evas wrote:I have been eating this Steam sale up all week. I picked up a bunch of games cheaply. Even if I only enjoy them for one afternoon, it is easily worth it for these prices:

Here is what I have bought so far:
Audio Surf ($2.50) - Turns your music in to a track that you navigate, collocting blocks. Very fun. Worth it.
Atom Zombie Smasher ($2.50) - Fun strategic view zombie plague fighting game. Worth it.
Sequence ($1.25) - Rhythm game, which I am apparently physically unable to do. Not worth it.
Solar 2 ($2.50) - 2D space physics sandox game. I hadn't played a game like it before I enjoyed it. Worth it.
Revenge of the Titans ($2.50) - RTS/Tower Defense. Just bought it. Fun so far. Worth it.

Lot's of good stuff there. Steam is the best.
Thanks for the recommendations. I may try Revenge of the Titans and AZS.

Steam is also apparently the best for these indie developers, even when the games prices are slashed 75%. I read that one such developer whose game was a daily deal on Steam made more money in 90 minutes than he had in one entire month prior to that -- this, after the price was cut.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by John »

Based on Mike's recommendation, you can now add Space Pirates And Zombies to the list of games I've bought during the Steam Holiday Sale. Come on, $2.49 for 20-30 hours of gameplay? Can't shake a zombified stick at that! Thanks, Mike! ;-D It'll be waiting for me when I get home, but I doubt I'll get a chance to dive in tonight... it's gonna be a long one with the Neo-Tokyo Cup wrapping up and all the start of the post-season tasks ahead.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

Mike hooked me on Space Pirates and Zombies, and now this fun indie game is on sale via Steam for $3.99. The deal only lasts through this weekend. Give the game a try!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by John »

For one day only, Amazon is offering a number of PC and Mac downloadable games at deep discounts. Have a look; you may find something that interests you.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Cole

#11 Post by Cole »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:Since I know we have some turn-based game fans here, I'll being up that Steam is having a sale on the Worms series. For $20, you can get the Worms Complete Pack. It contains the latest Worms game, Worms: Reloaded, plus all the DLC for that game and a number of older Worms titles. If you just want Worms: Reloaded, you can pick that up for $5.

It has been a long time since I played a Worms game, but I adored the first two games in the series. If you ever played the old classic Scorched Earth, you'll be familiar with the style of game play here. The series has been criticized for creative stagnation over the years, but newcomers won't have to worry about that; they can just enjoy the classic Worms gameplay. And it's playable online, so you can blow up your wormy friends when you're finished with the single-player game! Not a bad deal for just $5.
Man I used to love both Scorched Earth and Worms, might have to get on that to do some reminiscing. Can't really argue with that price.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by John »

Steam's Midweek Madness sale is Killing Floor. Through Thursday, the game is 85% the normal $20 cost. For just $3, here's what you get:
Killing Floor is a Co-op Survival Horror FPS set in the devastated cities and countryside of England after a series of cloning experiments for the military goes horribly wrong. You and your friends are members of the military dropped into these locations with a simple mission: Survive long enough to cleanse the area of the failed experiments!
  • Cooperative gameplay for up to six players against multiple waves of specimens
  • Persistent Perks system, allowing players to convert their in-game achievements into permanent improvements to their character's skills and abilities
  • Over 170 Steam Achievements, including “Dignity for the dead” for killing 10 enemies feeding on dead teammates' corpses and “Hot Cross Fun” for finishing off 25 burning enemies with a Crossbow
  • Slow-motion “ZEDtime” to better watch those crucial and violent creature deaths, even in multiplayer
  • Solo game mode for offline play
  • Ten different monster types trying to eat your face off, armed with everything from teeth and claws, to chainsaws, chain-guns and rocket-launchers
  • 33+ weapons for the players to chose from, ranging from knives and fire-axes to pump shotguns, rifles and a flamethrower
  • Equip your team with welders, medical tools and body armor to help your odds of survival
  • Choose which Perks to play with to best balance out your co-op team against the horrors
  • Open, non-linear play areas: choose when and where to fight — or run; weld doors closed to direct the monster horde down alternate corridors
  • Fully-configurable, allowing players to change the difficulty level, number of creature waves, or even set up their own favorite waves of monsters
  • Support for Steam Friends and other Steamworks features
  • Includes Windows-only SDK for the creation of new levels and mods
I've not played the game myself, but $3 for a well-rated co-op shooter seems like a pretty good deal. Pay $4.78 and you get the full Killing Floor DLC bundle, including the game and six DLC packs.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by John »

Here's a great sale for anyone who wants to purchase all-time classics that run on both Mac and PC, require hardly any computer horsepower, come with no nasty DRM, and feature some of the best stories in gaming history. Good Old Games is having a special buy one, get one (plus another one free sale. Buy any one Dungeons & Dragons game at the regular price of $9.99 and get another one free, plus you will also receive The Temple of Elemental Evil at no extra cost.

The impressive list of qualifying games includes the superlative Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series, plus Planescape: Torment (arguably the greatest CRPG of all time) and Neverwinter Nights (still a modder's dream). TToEE is a fun game, too. This is definitely not a sale to miss! The offer ends after February 27, so take advantage while you still can.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Tyler »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:The Tempe of Elemental Evil
Boy, Alan's already got himself quite the reputation in Arizona! :wink:
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by John »

Alleghenies wrote:
PEBA Commissioner wrote:The Tempe of Elemental Evil
Boy, Alan's already got himself quite the reputation in Arizona! :wink:
Curse my lazy fingers! Fixed. :oops:
John Rodriguez