Video game sales update thread

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Denra44

Re: Video game sales update thread

#31 Post by Denra44 »

Got it :D
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#32 Post by Mike Dunn »

PEBA Commissioner wrote: There are a number of reasons to consider jumping on this deal before it expires Monday afternoon:
You're not helping John! I successfully resisted the Civ V deal, and then Warlock, and was hoping to avoid the temptation to grab this! Again, cash is not the issue at this dirt-cheap level, just lack of time to play, and a huuuuge gaming backlog. That backlog includes Civ IV (barely touched even the base game) and Paradox's biggest grand strategy game, Europa Universalis.

Hadn't heard about the Game of Thrones mod, though, that could prove the tipping point :grin: .
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#33 Post by John »

Ghosts wrote:You're not helping John! I successfully resisted the Civ V deal, and then Warlock, and was hoping to avoid the temptation to grab this! Again, cash is not the issue at this dirt-cheap level, just lack of time to play, and a huuuuge gaming backlog. That backlog includes Civ IV (barely touched even the base game) and Paradox's biggest grand strategy game, Europa Universalis.
I totally feel you, Mike. I'm collecting this backlog of games - Skyrim, Civilization V, Warlock - that I would just love to spend quality time with, yet I know that there are things on my plate that are just too important to rob time from. So for the moment, the games sit. But... but!... there will come a day when everything clicks, hard work has paid off, and I will actually have some free time. And when that day arrives, I'll be so glad to have these games waiting for me. I'm going to lock myself in a room for 72 hours and just play, eat, and sleep. ;)
Ghosts wrote:Hadn't heard about the Game of Thrones mod, though, that could prove the tipping point :grin: .
It so happened to be the tipping point for me. :grin:
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#34 Post by Mike Dunn »

Well, this might prove the tipping point for me over Warlock: the strategy gaming podcast Three Moves Ahead talks about Warlock for 1 hr+, and the participants are raving about its post-release AI improvements (and the game overall). And these guys usually don't mince words, they are prone to bitching. Little bitching is done about Warlock.
Mike Dunn

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#35 Post by John »

Ghosts wrote:Well, this might prove the tipping point for me over Warlock: the strategy gaming podcast Three Moves Ahead talks about Warlock for 1 hr+, and the participants are raving about its post-release AI improvements (and the game overall). And these guys usually don't mince words, they are prone to bitching. Little bitching is done about Warlock.
Ghosts wrote:You're not helping...
What is this, payback? !+)
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Denra44

#36 Post by Denra44 »

Crusader Kings 2 reminded exactly like EU3 except more characterized. YOU are the King, Duke, Baron, Count. Not you are the godlike character who manages it all.
Iyou Seigyoki
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#37 Post by Iyou Seigyoki »

When I read here that Warlock was down to $10, that was all I needed to see and I dove right in. I'm not sorry I did--my wife is--but not me.

Warlock is just fun, fun, fun! It throws you right into the fray right from the start and I found sheer joy in the Civ 5 formula (one unit per hex) being expressed so elegently.

The AI does a pretty good job, overall, but it does a few dumb things like using units to attack other units that are immune to it, ad nauseum. Overall, though, the AI keeps you hopping and adjusting. I personally enjoy the watered down diplomacy in favor of just engaging in what pretty much amounts to all out war versus all your neighbors. They will honor a truce for a few turns (if it suits them) but mostly they're at your throat. This is a refreshing change from Civ where one can go centuries without so much as a skirmish.

Once thing you might like, John, is that there is a fog of war even in the way the game is presented. There is no handy resource to tell you how the tiles affect battle and movement. There is also no spell tech tree. There's a lot of trial and error with this game which is not necessary a bad thing.

For the first time in years I actually lost track of time, and got that almost forgotten "look" from my wife. :grin:

Well, I took her to Cracker Barrel and she got over it!
Last edited by Iyou Seigyoki on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#38 Post by Mike Dunn »

Shisa wrote:When I read here that Warlock was down to $10, that was all I needed to see and I dove right in. I'm not sorry I did--my wife is--but not me.
With about an hour left to the sale, my resolve crumbled and I bought it also. Downloaded and installed, hope to try it for real tonight. Glad to hear you're likin' it.
There is no handy resource to tell you how the tiles affect battle and movement. There is also no spell tech tree. There's a lot of trial and error with this game which is not necessary a bad thing.
Seek and yea shall find!

Beginner's Guide
Tech trees
Video tutorial

Onward!
Mike Dunn

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#39 Post by John »

Too bad Jon of Charleston isn't with us anymore; he was a big Total War fan. This weekend, you'll have a chance to try out Napoleon: Total War for free until Sunday afternoon. If you like the game, it will be 50% off ($10) all weekend long on Steam. Not a bad price!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Denra44

#40 Post by Denra44 »

I left the total war series after MTW 2 i loved that game so much, then i hugely disappointed in Empire.
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#41 Post by Zephyrs »

Does anyone have any thoughts on Crusader Kings 2? I am specifically interested in the Game of Thrones mod. I missed the sale but I may buck up if it is good.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Denra44

#42 Post by Denra44 »

got CK2 it is great, according to steam in a week i have recorded: 55 hours
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#43 Post by John »

Zephyrs wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Crusader Kings 2? I am specifically interested in the Game of Thrones mod. I missed the sale but I may buck up if it is good.
I only got to spend about 15 minutes with the Crusader Kings II: Game of Thrones mod last weekend, so I'm probably not the one to give you an impression. The game is almost too much for my feeble mind to handle... it's complicated (I'm talking Crusader Kings II as a whole, not just the mod). Still, I got a sense that the mod would be great fun... if you understand Crusader Kings II gameplay (which I don't).
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#44 Post by Zephyrs »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:
Zephyrs wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Crusader Kings 2? I am specifically interested in the Game of Thrones mod. I missed the sale but I may buck up if it is good.
I only got to spend about 15 minutes with the Crusader Kings II: Game of Thrones mod last weekend, so I'm probably not the one to give you an impression. The game is almost too much for my feeble mind to handle... it's complicated (I'm talking Crusader Kings II as a whole, not just the mod). Still, I got a sense that the mod would be great fun... if you understand Crusader Kings II gameplay (which I don't).
I bought a game called Hearts of Iron 3 because it looked great. I played around with it for days but couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do. The game collects dust now. :-B
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#45 Post by John »

Zephyrs wrote:I bought a game called Hearts of Iron 3 because it looked great. I played around with it for days but couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do. The game collects dust now. :-B
You may want to avoid Crusader Kings II then... both it and Hearts of Iron III are developed by the same company (Paradox Interactive), and Paradox games are known for being incredibly deep and complex.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”