Favorite Game Day Brew

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Ghosts »

Thoroughbreds wrote:Do we have 2 Minnesota guys???
nope, but i've visited there and some guys i know from minnesota once were going on and on about it.

i'm an ohio guy in chicago, and you'll all be happy to know that Great Lakes has cornered a huge chunk of the beer market here. it's really incredible.
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Duane »

You are in Chicago? I'm at the IL/WI border - Chain-O-Lakes
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#18 Post by Apollos »

Where about in Chgo. Duane and I are in the collar counties.

How do you like your new Cook County sales tax :-?
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

near north/west side...

#19 Post by Ghosts »

Sandgnats wrote:Where about in Chgo. Duane and I are in the collar counties.

How do you like your new Cook County sales tax :-?
right off the blue line on division and ashland.

as for the sales tax? the property tax is already killing me, i don't even want to think about the sales tax.

ah, but when you've got a fearless leader like todd stroeger, you know it will all work out. :-o
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#20 Post by Apollos »

How did he get in there. I thought his father had a stoke and the next thing his kid is elected. Was he even on the ballot or was his name the same.

Fortunately I live in McHenry County which is not bad, although the property taxes are bad all over.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#21 Post by Denny »

Bears wrote:
Thoroughbreds wrote:They still make Grain Belt? Or is this your secret 20 year stash???
I think it's been "revived" by a larger brewery, though I've never seen it outside Minnesota.
Mr. Bears is correct, sort of--In I think the late 70s, Grain Belt was purchased by G. Heileman (makers of, yes, Old Style :-o ) for a while, then taken over in the 90s by a local concern called the Minnesota Brewing Co. (which also made a beer called "Pig's Eye"--Bill/Duane, is that the other beer you were thinking of?) which went belly up as well. Then the brand went to a family-owned brewery, August Schell Brewing in New Ulm, Minn., and is still there today. (Schell's other beers are a little more "crafty" and also quite good.)

Three cheers for Grain Belt! :D
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#22 Post by Ghosts »

Sandgnats wrote:How did he get in there. I thought his father had a stoke and the next thing his kid is elected. Was he even on the ballot or was his name the same.

Fortunately I live in McHenry County which is not bad, although the property taxes are bad all over.
you don't even want to know. stroeger sr. had a stroke a couple of days before the county board election. they kept it pretty much under wraps (or at least how serious it was) until after the election and then -- voila -- his son was slated to take his place.

you should have seen sr.'s "signature" on the official documents...it looked like it was done by a 3 year old...and dude has never been seen or heard from since.

gotta love chicago!
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#23 Post by Ghosts »

hey codgers...what's this with knocking old style.

it practically flows from the water fountains here in chicago.

naturally, this doesn't mean it's any good. it just means my chicago pride has kicked in (oddly, though, it's actually brewed in milwaukee...apparently anheuser busch was on strike in the 1970s and they had to choose which few markets they could supply, and chicago wasn't on the list. old style filled the demand and to this day you'll find plenty of bars that remain loyal).
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#24 Post by Apollos »

Sadly - Illinois will go the way of California when it comes to debt and taxes.

I think we have been run by gangsters since prohibition.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”