All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Board Games
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:23 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Harpoon wrote:
And Bob, surely the list of games suggested by bottom of the ninth is missing one? How about "The Five Minute Warning" where players once they hear the nuclear sirens go off try to commit the most good deeds or crimes in the time allowed lol

I think you've got a winner, Nigel!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:08 pm 
Double-A
Double-A

John wrote:

Speaking of baseball simulation games, here's a couple to keep an eye out for. History Maker Baseball (2013) might be the modern torchbearer for APBA and Strat-O-Matic. There'll be bookkeeping, just like in those older games, but the game seems very robust.

Thanks to John’s recommendation for this game, I have managed to source a copy from an English seller on eBay (for what seemed a very reasonable £32 including postage. Now to figure out what league to do? I fancy a small six-team league with a 40-60 game schedule so I can play out every game without being committed to a thousand odd games lol.

Appointed 2028

A Ring from the past

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:36 am 
Triple-A
Triple-A

So, Nigel. Have you received the game yet? Just wondering what you thought - looks interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:56 pm 
Double-A
Double-A

Yes, I've just received it on Monday, but I'm still chasing my tail catching up on all the writing etc I missed while I was away for the week. It does look better and better the more I look into it with websites and You-Tube but my original hopes of games using real baseball cards appears to be remote as I failed to réalise that with my fading eyesight most cards print the stats too small on the back for me to read lol.

So on the game's website www.plaay.com there is a raft of free stuff that you can print out including the World Series teams from 2018, 17 & 16 so I might try a six-team small league with them to see how feasible bigger leagues are with the timewise. I hope to start that up next week and will probably put a few posts up here to see if anyone's interested in reading about it.

Appointed 2028

A Ring from the past

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:11 pm 
Triple-A
Triple-A

Excellent! I, for one, would definitely be interested in reading about it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:10 pm 
Double-A
Double-A

That’s great to know Vic, I’ve now lined it up as a six-team league which will feature the Red Sox (2018), LA Dodgers (2018), Houston (2017), Cleveland (2016), Cubs (2016) and the Cincinnati Reds (1975) for no other reason than those are the teams I have. They will probably play a sixty game schedule just to test how long it takes.

I’m slowly settling it up in amongst everything else and I reckon the Opening Day will Monday if all goes well. I’ll set up another thread here in the off-topic to set it all out and publish updates.

Appointed 2028

A Ring from the past

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11