Baseball Movies

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#31 Post by Apollos »

I thought you might like that. I was trying to key in off your Reagan era message earlier. The movie was on my list anyway.
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#32 Post by Apollos »

The Kid from Left Field (1953) Here is Dan Dailey again. This time he stars as Pop Cooper, an ex-ballplayer who must sell concessions at the park becaue his temper put him out of baseball. His kid talks to the players and starts to pass them tips on their game (that he gets from his dad). The players start to play better (a lot better) convinced the kid is a genius. A young Lloyd Bridges (one of the players), Anne Bancroft (always nice legs) co-star. Fess Parker (Disney's Davey Crockett) is also in the film. Cute film. You have to believe it’s possible that a team would make a kid the manager. The film is much better than the remake. Not an easy find.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#33 Post by Ghosts »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:Indeed, my knowledge of baseball movies is woefully atrocious. :oops: On the other hand, I have an encyclopedic knowledge of Reagan-era action films! Clearly I have my priorities in order. :roll:
this is clearly not an attempt to engage in a political discussion....in fact, that's probably a really bad idea. but...

this comment is funny to me. i have a buddy that's going to have a book published soon called "dirty harry republicans and easy riding liberals" and the central premise of the book is that the modern republican movement in the 1970s through 2000 was innately connected to the idea of the "action hero"....the guy who gets results even though the bureaucratic chief is always getting in his way.

anyhow, this comment is pretty funny in how it -- like we all do -- makes a subtle connection between reagan and action heroes without even really thinking about it.

in any event, if you guys see it you should check it out. it won't be out until the fall, i think.
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#34 Post by Apollos »

Sounds interesting. I will make a note of it. thanks
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#35 Post by John »

Sandgnats wrote:Here's my next installment. This is the most popular of all baseball movies. Based on the life of Lou Gehrig, this could very well be the best baseball movie ever made.

Pride Of the Yankees (1942) It casts Gary Cooper perfectly as the Iron Horse with Teresa Wright (she looks hot) and Walter Brennan in supporting roles. Babe Ruth, Joe McCarthy, Bill Dickey, are seen in short cameos. I believe Bill Dickey and Gehrig were best friends. The movie was nominated for best picture, Teresa Wright was nominated for best actress. Most people find the final sequence to be extremely moving but I felt that the whole movie was moving. As my children would say “I laughed, I cried, It really moved me”. This film reflects a time when America was innocent and it’s people honest and good. When a ball player did his job and related to the common fan. The chemistry between Wright and Cooper was very appealing to me. I never grow tired of watching this movie.
This film has just been re-released as a Collector's Edition DVD. Extras include a making of, Lou Gehrig doc, a look at the Gehrig memorabilia at the Baseball Hall of Fame, a look at the disease that took Gehrig and more. Considered to be one of the classic baseball films of all time, this is definitely the version to get if you're interested.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”