The Oscars

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Oscars

#1 Post by John »

I'm not a huge movie guy. My tastes are extremely "plebe" when it comes to movies, I suppose you could say. That said, I did manage to catch two of this year's Oscar nominees for Best Picture. Michael Clayton was a decent film, but I was very impressed with There Will Be Blood. Daniel Day Lewis was just fantastic and should easily walk away with Best Actor. The story was inherently interesting and I loved the ending. Definitely worth a viewing if you haven't seen it. I was very much hoping to see No Country For Old Men (the film most likely to challenge Blood for Best Picture) but didn't make it. Anyone here see that one?

Now while definitely not the best movie of the year, I'd have to say the most fun movie I saw in 2007 was Shoot 'Em Up. Hilariously over-the-top! Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti were great fun. Fair warning: this is rated "R" for a reason!

What are your picks for best/most fun movies of the year?
Matt
VIP
VIP

#2 Post by Matt »

I didn't see anything that was critically acclaimed, and I don't go to many movies to begin with, but there were two that I liked a lot. The latest in the Bourne series was, in my opinion, better even than the first two, and I have enjoyed the entire series.
The other was Stardust, a fantasy flick which seemed to fly under the radar a bit, but I thought it was a pretty good movie, and I'm not generally into that type of movie. I was dragged kicking and screaming to see it by my girlfriend, and turned out that I enjoyed it. Fun little movie to see.
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Duane »

If you count Harry Potter movies as acclaimed then I actually have seen a recent movie. Single dad, don't get to see much these days
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

Calzones wrote:I didn't see anything that was critically acclaimed, and I don't go to many movies to begin with, but there were two that I liked a lot. The latest in the Bourne series was, in my opinion, better even than the first two, and I have enjoyed the entire series.
The other was Stardust, a fantasy flick which seemed to fly under the radar a bit, but I thought it was a pretty good movie, and I'm not generally into that type of movie. I was dragged kicking and screaming to see it by my girlfriend, and turned out that I enjoyed it. Fun little movie to see.
I hadn't heard of Stardust until now. The IMDB voters seem to really dig it and I see it has Robert DeNiro in it. May be something worth taking a look at!

Looks like I'm going to get a chance to see No Country For Old Men before the Oscars after all. I got invited to go see it this evening. I've heard so many good things about this movie and I definitely want to see how it stacks up to my current Best Movie pick, There Will Be Blood.

By the way, my vote for Worst movie of 2007 easily goes to the execrable Transformers. Just Michael Bay doing what he does best: making crappy films. At least I didn't pay to see it!
:sweat:
Badgers

#5 Post by Badgers »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:
Calzones wrote:I didn't see anything that was critically acclaimed, and I don't go to many movies to begin with, but there were two that I liked a lot. The latest in the Bourne series was, in my opinion, better even than the first two, and I have enjoyed the entire series.
I hadn't heard of Stardust until now. The IMDB voters seem to really dig it and I see it has Robert DeNiro in it. May be something worth taking a look at!

Looks like I'm going to get a chance to see No Country For Old Men before the Oscars after all. I got invited to go see it this evening. I've heard so many good things about this movie and I definitely want to see how it stacks up to my current Best Movie pick, There Will Be Blood.

By the way, my vote for Worst movie of 2007 easily goes to the execrable Transformers. Just Michael Bay doing what he does best: making crappy films. At least I didn't pay to see it!
:sweat:

You won't be let down by No Country for Old Men. I saw both that and There Will be Blood. No Country for Old Men takes the cake, easily.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#6 Post by Matt »

DeNiro's role in Stardust was interesting I thought. You get a little of his comic side in part of it, so something a little different. DeNiro's acting in recent years has been hit or miss,or maybe I've just been down on him since that dreadful "The Fan".
Pfieffer's character was convincing, perfect casting for her part I thought. The storyline was sort of fun, though the ending was just a wee bit cliche and sort of fairytale like for my tastes.
It's out on DVD recently, worth a look.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

Well, after seeing No Country I'm really torn between it and Blood. They're both excellent movies. I think I'm going to agree with the Nutmeggers and give the slight edge to No Country as movie of the year (at least for the ones I've seen). It was extremely well done and really had that Cohen Brothers vibe to it. My favorite movie of these since Raising Arizona.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”