How did PEBA come to be?

Matt
VIP
VIP

Re: How did PEBA come to be?

#76 Post by Matt »

I remember another conversation about Burton, but it's not in the linked thread. Maybe we had it privately? Can't remember. I do remember not liking Burton at all, mostly because of his size.
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#77 Post by Cole »

Bulldozers wrote: I think I've mentioned this before, but to confirm John's sense that our league name has been a highly visible brand I can report that when I started my search for an online league to join I was overwhelmed by the number of choices. So the first thing I did was limit my search to leagues with interesting names or unique characteristics. PEBA had both.
This is similar to what I did to find a league. Even though I am new to the game, I still knew that I wanted an established league that I can count on to be around for the long haul. I know that I am willing to invest a lot of me free time to this endeavor and I want some return on my time. I had no clue, by reading all of the available league "want ads" as to which were reputable and which may be new enterprises that feature a commish that has no real experience. John's ad, if that even is the proper term, was clearly the best of any. I figured that any owners that would commit to the requirements, as set forth for PEBA, had to feel similar to me. The rest is history, albeit a short history at this point. I am very pleased with my choice.
Bulldozers wrote: Sinkerball pitchers would have no success, the ball simply wouldn't sink. But knuckleballers would thrive. And the Eephus pitch would make a comeback. No batter would be patient enough to wait for an orbiting pitch to return to the moon's surface. It'd be like watching slow-pitch softball on qualudes.
Anyone remember, I think his name was Steve Hamilton and his pitch called the "Folly Floater" ?
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#78 Post by Borealis »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:
Featherheads wrote:Edit for a trip down memory lane:
John would draft Michael Burton over Hancock :-#
I really did believe that! :oops:
Aurora could find their way to trade such a great talent as Michael Burton to Tempe for Hancocky. It would be a tremendous strain on our minors, but I think we could manage that deall
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#79 Post by Arroyos »

Badgers wrote: Anyone remember, I think his name was Steve Hamilton and his pitch called the "Folly Floater" ?
Good memory, Bob. Hamilton and his Folly Floater. Gadzooks, I haven't thought about that in years. And with a quick Google, I found a clip from a game when he threw the pitch on YouTube. [Correction: he didn't throw the pitch on YouTube, silly me. I found the clip on YouTube.] An amazing pitch. Maybe we'll see one in this fall's playoffs. ;-7
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#80 Post by Cole »

Bulldozers wrote: Good memory, Bob. Hamilton and his Folly Floater. Gadzooks, I haven't thought about that in years. And with a quick Google, I found a clip from a game when he threw the pitch on YouTube. [Correction: he didn't throw the pitch on YouTube, silly me. I found the clip on YouTube.] An amazing pitch. Maybe we'll see one in this fall's playoffs. ;-7
Thanks Bulldozer Bob, but I don't know about my memory, just showing my age :wink:
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#81 Post by Arroyos »

Badgers wrote: Thanks Bulldozer Bob, but I don't know about my memory, just showing my age :wink:
A few advantages to being old geezers like us remain. Relish them.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#82 Post by Duane »

Bulldozers wrote:
Badgers wrote: Thanks Bulldozer Bob, but I don't know about my memory, just showing my age :wink:
Does this mean that CL GM Dean Giesey is no longer the 'old man' of PEBA???
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#83 Post by John »

Thoroughbreds wrote:
Bulldozers wrote:
You are correct, sir. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#84 Post by Cole »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:
Thoroughbreds wrote:
Bulldozers wrote: A few advantages to being old geezers like us remain. Relish them.
You are correct, sir. :D
Am I glad that I don't feel as old as this thread makes it sound :grin:
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#85 Post by Apollos »

Thoroughbreds wrote:
Bulldozers wrote:

Hey come on! The only people that are old were born that way. I was born young and will stay young. It's just that my body is getting old.
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#86 Post by Arroyos »

Sandgnats wrote:
Thoroughbreds wrote:
Bulldozers wrote: A few advantages to being old geezers like us remain. Relish them.
Hey come on! The only people that are old were born that way. I was born young and will stay young. It's just that my body is getting old.
I want some of whatever you're drinking/smoking/breathing/stoking. Cuz I was born young and felt young till just a couple years ago when my body caught up with my age. Now everything aches, even my brain.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Nigel

#87 Post by Nigel »

I think this thread should be stickied as you gain such an insight into not just the physical history of the PEBA but also into the human aspect. Just reading this thread shows you why this league is held in such high regard.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#88 Post by John »

Nigel wrote:I think this thread should be stickied as you gain such an insight into not just the physical history of the PEBA but also into the human aspect. Just reading this thread shows you why this league is held in such high regard.
Well, why not? :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#89 Post by Cole »

This thread was a huge benefit to me at the start of my tenure here at the PEBA. Very informative! ;-D
Now that I am a "Veteran" owner, I still go back and review it occasionally. :D
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Neil Thomas

#90 Post by Neil Thomas »

I love going through this thread every once in a while. It is informative and funny as hell. This is my first and last online league. I have a new love for Japanese baseball.

Return to “League News and Articles”