How did PEBA come to be?

Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: How did PEBA come to be?

#61 Post by Tyler »

Nutmeggers wrote:I always assumed that "Extreme" implied "at the far end of", as in as far away from the earth's core as possible. I'm still confused why we don't have any teams in Nepal.
Us poor IL teams already have to deal with frequent flights to Europe - have some pity! :-L
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#62 Post by Apollos »

Bulldozers wrote:
Badgers wrote:
Bulldozers wrote:
LOL, This is hilarious! Especially the Yuman beings :lol:
I appreciate your chuckling at my feeble witticisms, but remember, Bob of Kazoo, I will be trying to trade you some of those Yuman beings for some of your Kalamazoons.
Great names :D
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#63 Post by Arroyos »

Nutmeggers wrote:I always assumed that "Extreme" implied "at the far end of", as in as far away from the earth's core as possible. I'm still confused why we don't have any teams in Nepal.
Nepal! Kathmandu's no further from the earth's core than any other mile-high city. In fact, according to the WickedPedia folk, Kathmandu is slightly less elevated than Denver.

No, we need to think big. We need a team … on the moon!
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#64 Post by Duane »

Bulldozers wrote:
Nepal! Kathmandu's no further from the earth's core than any other mile-high city. In fact, according to the WickedPedia folk, Kathmandu is slightly less elevated than Denver.

No, we need to think big. We need a team … on the moon!
The Moon Dogs ... a bunch of howlers
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#65 Post by Arroyos »

Thoroughbreds wrote:The Moon Dogs ... a bunch of howlers
I have a team in another league named the Moondoggies, after John Lennon, of course. But what a great name for a PEBA team. And think of the home field advantage! How big would the stadiums have to be to contain fly balls in such reduced gravity? Or would we come up with a gravity ball that neutralized the effects of the moon's weak gravitation? Of course, playing ball in those astronaut suits would slow down baserunning, in fact, watching a game would be like watching baseball in slow-mo, all the time!

Sinkerball pitchers would have no success, the ball simply wouldn't sink. But knuckleballers would thrive. And the Eephus pitch would make a comeback. No batter would be patient enough to wait for an orbiting pitch to return to the moon's surface. It'd be like watching slow-pitch softball on qualudes.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Let's realize the full potential of our league name. Let's move the Bulldozers to the moon!
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#66 Post by Lions »

Bulldozers wrote:Sinkerball pitchers would have no success, the ball simply wouldn't sink. But knuckleballers would thrive. And the Eephus pitch would make a comeback. No batter would be patient enough to wait for an orbiting pitch to return to the moon's surface. It'd be like watching slow-pitch softball on qualudes.
Actually, the knuckleball wouldn't knuckle hardly at all. It requires air build up against the seams and an irregular vortex behind the path of the ball to generate the knuckling action. I imagine that most knuckleballs would end up just beyond the outfield fences on Mars.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#67 Post by klewis »

I would imagine playing on the moon... you could bunt balls for doubles and triples? But of course, fan support would probably suck. There wouldn't be many fans attending the games. Even if they were, you wouldn't hear any sound from them.

Speaking of Moondogs, what about Chris "Moondog" York... I guess I now have ideas of how his name came about.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#68 Post by Arroyos »

Nutmeggers wrote: Actually, the knuckleball wouldn't knuckle hardly at all. It requires air build up against the seams and an irregular vortex behind the path of the ball to generate the knuckling action. I imagine that most knuckleballs would end up just beyond the outfield fences on Mars.
I'm not entirely convinced the knuckler wouldn't work on the moon. Though there's no air on the moon, there is wind. Solar wind. It might take a little practice, but certainly knuckleball pitchers could learn to use the solar wind to create the vortex behind the ball which is responsible for the knuckler's erratic path to the plate.

In fact, if a pitcher would dare to expose his face to the elements, he could blow air behind the knuckler he throws, and with no atmosphere to interfere, one breath would push the ball a long ways!

I'm ready to sign up with NASA to be the first to throw a knuckleball on the moon.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#69 Post by Borealis »

Bulldozers wrote: I'm not entirely convinced the knuckler wouldn't work on the moon. Though there's no air on the moon, there is wind. Solar wind.
Can you have wind without air?
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#70 Post by Duane »

Borealis wrote:
Bulldozers wrote: I'm not entirely convinced the knuckler wouldn't work on the moon. Though there's no air on the moon, there is wind. Solar wind.
Can you have wind without air?
Solar winds
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#71 Post by Bill »

If a ball knuckles on the moon and nobody is there, does it make a sound?
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#72 Post by Leones »

Borealis wrote:Can you have wind without air?
Depends on two factors. How good your spacesuit seal is and how many beans you ate in the lunar lander last night. :geek:
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#73 Post by klewis »

Battousai wrote:
Borealis wrote:Can you have wind without air?
Depends on two factors. How good your spacesuit seal is and how many beans you ate in the lunar lander last night. :geek:
That puts a whole new meaning to a pitcher throwing gas.

Edit for a trip down memory lane:
John would draft Michael Burton over Hancock :-#
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#74 Post by Tyler »

Featherheads wrote: Edit for a trip down memory lane:
To that I will add: I knew it on draft day. 8)
Coal Sox wrote:I have escaped my self-imposed prison long enough to check on the draft and say:

How in the world did Rafael Suarez fall to me? :-B

:catcher:
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#75 Post by John »

Featherheads wrote:Edit for a trip down memory lane:
I really did believe that! :oops:
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...