Roger Clemens

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

Roger Clemens

#1 Post by Jason »

To anyone who watched the congressional hearings yesterday it was obvious either Roger Clemens or Brian McNamee was lying through his teeth. To me Clemens' legacy as one of the best pitchers I have ever seen is permanently tarnished and it would take some major revelations for it to be restored. However, there is the camp that feels he may still be innocent despite the fact that even his BFF Andy Pettite is now indicating Clemens cheated. My question to you my fellow PEBA owners is this: what are your thoughts on this?

Is say the time is now for PEBA to begin the crackdown on performance-enhancing drugs!!!!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

I believe in innocent until proven guilty. I also believe that Clemens isn't doing himself any favors with his contradictory testimony. At this point the evidence is swinging very strongly against him. I would say that I don't take him to be very credible at all, and while I don't take McNamee to be credible either I see no reason for Pettitte to lie in this situation. His testimony is more damning than anything McNamee has presented.

I nominate the 250 lb. behemoth named Rubén Cruz as PEBA's most likely doping candidate.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#3 Post by Matt »

I've long been one of Roger's biggest fans. Going into the hearings, I may have given him the biggest benefit of the doubt as anyone has.
The hearings changed that. Not only is Roger forever tarnished as a pitcher, I've lost respect for him as a man.
The evidence clearly runs against him. And his denials and explanations just look way too fishy. I could go through this and smack him down on many points. But I'll stick to the one that is the most damning in my mind.
Mitchell gave all the players a chance to come in, see the evidence before the report was released, and a chance to refute it. Roger refused. So obviously he knew his name would show up in the report. So why the huge public scene after the release of the report, and the huge denial? I think it came down to seeing the actual report itself, and the fact the only evidence against him were the allegations of a person with questionable credibility. Had their been canceled checks, some type of paper trail, I doubt Roger would have gone through this process. But since it was simply allegations of someone with limited credibility, Roger saw an opening, and has decided to drag McNamee through the mud in an effort to discredit him.
Interesting that of 89 players overall, only one tries to deny. Of three named by mcNamee, two have corroborated his story, only Roger has tried to deny.
Roger could have salavaged some dignity by owning up to it. Or even just staying quiet and fading into retirement quietly. I'm more dissappointed in him as a man, because he has shown himself to be unable to take accountability for his own actions, which to me, is the most important thing a person who holds himself up as a role should do. Lying, backstabbing Pettite, etc, just add to the disgrace this man will endure.
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Reg »

I agree that Roger would be better off if he would admit to it, say it was a mistake and move on, I just think it is funny that the same officials who turned a blindeye to the steriod era are ready to crucify what it basically encouraged so that owners could make more money...which is not to say that players are of the hook for using steriods, but simply to say that often times in gray areas and competition you are gonna take the grey area to the limit...and Clemens seems to be the "look at who we got player" to prove that nobody is above the law or that the officials simply weren't throwing lesser players under the bus...

so yeah...some rambling
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Coqui »

Calzones wrote:before the report was released, and a chance to refute it. Roger refused. So obviously he knew his name would show up in the report.
And now it is being revealed that McNamee actually told Clemens that he would be named and Clemens basically blew him off.
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Reg »

i also would like to say that all players who are doing moderately well and up (and not on New Orleans) should be tested and subsequently banned for substance abuse...especially any trace amounts of H2O.
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Matt
VIP
VIP

#7 Post by Matt »

the hell with performancing enhancing drugs, I want the Calzones tested for performance REDUCING drugs. There are unsubstantiated rumors of a very strong Black Market for Twinkies and Ding Dongs in the Calzones clubhouse.
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Reg »

hmm...i guess dongs attract dongs
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#9 Post by Apollos »