Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NOTB Special Draft Picks 7-12

#1 Post by Reg »

Day 2 Draft Recap

By Scott Plack

Round 7: CF Dan Lewis, Right handed Tulsa, Oklahoma

Lewis is a speedster out of the Midwest who shores up the Trendsetters outfield. Lewis will cover a lot of ground in CF which will help cut down on extra base hits. Lewis is an average hitter who fares better versus left handed pitchers. The Trendsetters are sure to take advantage of Lewis’ base running ability. Some scouts however question Lewis’ commitment to working out and his preparation for the season.

In response, Lewis had this to say, “WHAT? I know you haven’t even seen me play yet, but you’re asking me about practice…..are you serious, practice?”

Round 8: CL Dave Phelps, Right handed North Little Rock, AR

Phelps was picked up to close out the tight games. New Orleans hopes that he has ice running through his veins. Phelps has an average fast ball, complemented by a change up and a cutter. Phelps best weapon is his control, pin pointing pitches and craftily getting hitters out.

Commenting on his pitching skills Phelps states, “Sure there are closers who come out and throw extreme heat. I am not one of those, but I get the job done. In the real world not everyone gets to drive a sports car. But hey I am definitely a luxury sedan combining quality and dependability. Don’t worry by the end of the season New Orleans will be glad to have me anchor their bull pen.”

Round 9: 3B Desi James, Right Handed Milwaukee, WI

Tanner noted pervious to the draft that the depth at 2B, 3B, SS was questionable. Once you got past a few marquee players you were wading through a pool of average if not worse. However, if James is lacking it is certainly not in potential. Tanner defends his pick to his doubters saying, “Desi has nothing but upside. Sure he is a big risk, but without risking big, you can’t be rewarded big. One of the main selling points for James is the fact that he is so young and very good at his position. I have no problem with James filling in the nine hole and providing solid defense while learning to hit PEBA level pitching.”

Round 10: RF Cooper Scott, Left Handed San Antonio, TX

Right Field seemed to be a very popular position especially in the early rounds of the draft. Cooper could be considered the “working man’s Right Fielder”. Very seldom will you see Scott play and not sacrifice his body either on the base paths or out in the field. While Scott, is a little bit older his work ethic and maturity should set a great example for younger players. Scott is a very good left handed hitter who feeds off of righties, and fare pretty well versus lefties.

When asked about his desire to play for the Calzones, Scott said, “Did I think about it, sure, I still have family that lives around the area and I love south Texas. But truthfully, I am not concerned with where I play as long as I am getting the chance to play.”

Round 11: C Javier Rodriguez, Right Handed San Francisco, CA

Javier is in danger as being known as the “old man” on the team, depending on further round action. Javier balances being an average hitter with being an average defender. He puts much more emphasis on the other aspects of his position, “We have a young and inexperienced staff which I am looking forward to working with. There are many small battles being waged in this war we call baseball. One of the most important is pitch selection and location. Knowing what a pitcher likes to throw, and what the hitter is expecting and what he likes to hit, helps to design an approach to getting three outs each inning.”

Round 12: SP Chris Nicholson, Right Handed Archer, FL

Nicholson is the third piece in the Trendsetters starting rotation. Nicholson has below average velocity, but pin points his fastball, slider and changeup. The Trendsetters are hoping that the combined influence of Nicholson and Rodriguez (C) will mature its pitching staff into a well oiled machine.

Return to “League News and Articles”