CC Sabathia

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

CC Sabathia

#1 Post by Apollos »

There is no loyalty anymore.
Badgers

#2 Post by Badgers »

He still plays for the Indians. If we could manage to get Chamberlain or Hughes from NY for him, that would be cool.
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#3 Post by Coqui »

I am not sure what loyalty you think CC owes us.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

It's a shame, though I can't say it wasn't something we saw coming from a long ways down the road. I guess that helps soften the blow for me somewhat; I never expected him to resign.

It's always difficult to judge these kinds of situations. On the one hand, we're all human... who amongst us would pass on the opportunity to make more money? And since the answer clearly is, "None of us would," do we have ground to stand on if we start to hammer C.C.?

On the other hand... I kinda think we do have some ground to stand on, yeah. The ground is that we're all making peasant money (relatively speaking) while star professional athletes are raking in salaries that put them in a socio-economic strata we'll never sniff. Given that fact, one might be at least somewhat reasonable in hoping that these stars would say, "You know, $18M a year for 5 years really is enough cash to show some loyalty to the fans in this town." Sadly, things rarely work out like that.

Regardless, the situation is what it is and now the Indians will have to deal with it. I wouldn't be opposed to a deal along the lines of what the Yankees were reported to have offered for Johan Santana. All indications from the Indians' front office is that they have no intention of trading C.C., and I have no reason to doubt this. So the best bet is probably to hope to win it all this year and then pray the two draft picks we receive as compensation for his departure eventually turn into something useful (admittedly a long shot).
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Duane »

WAIT ... CC is still in Cleveland right? Just stopped negotiations?

What's the big deal?????? Still can get him signed
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by John »

Realistically speaking, that's not going to happen at this point. The Indians are known to have offered him an extension similar to what Jake Peavy received, and that was already stretching their financial flexibility to the breaking point (and beyond, some would argue). If C.C> wanted to talk in that range he'd still be negotiating. That he's announced he's breaking off negotiations is a clear signal that he's shooting for Johan Santana money. The Indians simply cannot afford that kind of contract. So he'll walk come season's end and the Tribe will pick up two draft picks as compensation.
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#7 Post by Apollos »

I don't like the mercenary attitude that says I will play for who ever pays me the most. Fortunately, the Yankees and Boston can only carry 25 players
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Duane »

hmmmm and really can't trade him since they will be competing for the crown. Sorry Cleveland fans ... "xxIT Happens" Maybe Adam Miller and Laffey will have to be ready sooner rather than later
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#9 Post by Apollos »

I for one am not going to pay $100 a ticket so that some pampered athlete can make his 20 mil a year. I wonder what this is doing to the future fans?
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Tyler »

Sandgnats wrote:I for one am not going to pay $100 a ticket so that some pampered athlete can make his 20 mil a year. I wonder what this is doing to the future fans?
You don't have to. Last year you could get into the Jake for $7.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#11 Post by Matt »

It was $7 admission. It was $93 bucks to get the snow cleared off your seat.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Ghosts »

am i the only one that wants him dealt?

a team with cleveland's payroll can't afford to let someone like him go for free. it's a simplistic take, i know. but if we pulled off a slick deal for sabathia this year we could have a nice, big window for 2009, 2010, and maybe 2011.

if we don't, we're putting all the chips down on this year. which is fine, but it seems awful short-sighted.

then again, if we're not at .600 ball by mid-July he may well be dealt just the same.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by John »

I'll admit that I wouldn't be opposed to dealing him... if the kind of deal that, say, New York was rumored to be offering for Santana is available. It's definitely a tough situation. Given that the Indians are legitimate contenders this year, I wouldn't want to give him up just to get something. It would have to be a highly attractive package. Is that available for Sabathia? That I have no idea.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Ghosts »

this is the beauty of the sox-yankees rivalry.

i just know it that one or the other is going to be primed to snag cc should we be so inclined.

the only thing that bums me out is that, by that point, both teams are less likely to part with their young major-leauge ready starters - as they will likely be contributors of some import by mid-season.
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#15 Post by Apollos »

Coal Sox - I am sorry I am late to reply. Is Cleveland really charging $7? Wow! That is a good deal. The Cubs are getting $45 for a bench seat in the bleachers. Two years ago I visited relatives in California and paid $300 to get my family of 5 into Petco.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”