Talking Trends - Team Blog (short thoughts)

Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Talking Trends - Team Blog (short thoughts)

#316 Post by Reg »

After watching RF's hit .120 over the last seven games, Tanner decided that Nash couldn't do any worse, especially after many scouts think he is better than most of the fodder that has been in RF already, and he showed that AAA level pitching didn't phase him. Rob McGrath is getting the nod to start at DH versus lefties, giving Pex a break. Carlos Pena has struggled over the last two months and will be moved to the bull pen in hopes that he can regain some confidence.
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#317 Post by Reg »

16 games under .500 after April and May -- a hole that was deep to climb out of...but new life was infused into the team through the acquisition of Morimoto, Brett, Reyes, and Davis. And the call up of out of nowhere rookie Errol Grey. Grey has played in 83 games and amassed a respectful 21.0 vorp. June until today the team has put up a 48-51 record. A strong finish in the last 10 games of the season and the Trendsetters could climb out of last place, the three game series in Laredo will have a big impact. They also will be facing Charleston for four and Kentucky for three, all on the road. Which seems like it could be a bad thing until you realize the the Trendsetters have actually been better on the road than at home this year. They are one game under .500 on the road and 18 games under at home. Somebody needs to send a memo to the team to let them know it is supposed to be the other way around!

Morimoto on his chase of 52 and beyond, "I know I am supposed to say stuff like: I just up to the plate looking to help my team. It's not about me, but this late in the season, that record is on everyone's minds. The team won't say anything to me about it in the dug out, but the tension is there. So yeah, these next 11 games, I am going to be looking for pitches to drive...if I could do it at home, that would be special. I know that I have often been the enemy while with Florida, but the New Orleans fans have really embraced me, and it would be great to get the monkey off my back at home."
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#318 Post by Reg »

Morimoto is under contract for one more year, and after breaking the record for most home runs in a season, seems to be a top priority for the Trendsetters in terms of extensions. It's hard to imagine, but T-moto is only 30 years old this season, playing in the inaugural season at the fresh young age of 20. In those ten years not once has he recorded less than 30 home runs, even in a season where he missed significant time from an injury. If the PEBA handed out come back player awards then T-moto would most likely be on everyone's list. After suffering an ankle injury in 2014, he looked uncomfortable at the plate even through the 2015 season, posting career low batting averages. Florida told him that "it wasn't him, it was them" and sent him to Manchester, where most people believed he would continue the decline. He burst out of the starting gates, and continued strong in the dog days of summer, pummeling the ball to the tune of 12 home runs in each of the months of July and August. Playing in 97 games he led the team in homeruns and was second in runs-batted-in (by 2). Before his acquisition the Trendsetters went 18 games under .500, after it they were only 6 games under .500. Both team officials and T-moto's agent seem to think that a deal will get done sooner rather than later.

Rumors are abounding the Trendsetters are not done with their power surge. After dealing current DH Pex to San Antonio, speculation has surfaced as to who might take the DH spot. While some people have pointed to prospect Rob McGrath, other rumors are circulating that Jarrod Wright might be in Trendsetter brown, blue, and orange next season. If there is any truth to these rumors, then the Trendsetters will control the number 1 and 2 home run hitters in the Imperial League from last year. Together they belted 93 home runs. The whole Trendsetter roster, not counting Morimoto, managed only 103 home runs last year.

Other rumors are that the Trendsetters have been in communication with LF Jason Guillen's agent. Jason has suffered from a couple of subpar years, but still provides plenty of power and if obtained could offer another headache for pitchers in what is shaping to be one of the most dangerous lineups in baseball. Of course, rumors can fall through and might amount to nothing.
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#319 Post by klewis »

Grats Paul for signing the Tsunami Morimoto. I'm happy to see him find a home in New Orleans. After being traded from Manchester to New Orleans, I thought Morimoto would sulk and pack it in. Instead, he went on a tear. Morimoto - being one of my personal faves - I am glad to see him remain in the IL and I hope he can hit that 500 HR career mark!
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#320 Post by Tyler »

Featherheads wrote:Morimoto - being one of my personal faves - I am glad to see him remain in the IL and I hope he can hit that 500 HR career mark!
It's shocking how young he actually is. I think he's got a great chance for the mark.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#321 Post by Reg »

Very sad to see Mark Tucker retire. He was taken in the rule 5 draft and trotted out to start on a lark. He did quite well, and the Trendsetters were looking to get him just a bit of more experience in the minors before bringing him back to the majors. Unfortunately, an injury and a setback ended those plans rather quickly.

Morimoto is signed through the 2021 season with a 2022 team option. By the time the contract expires it will be likely that he would be one of the last if not the only players who is stiff active after playing in the inaugural PEBA season.
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#322 Post by Reg »

Spring Training games begin, short look at some players on the team:

LF Elvin Richter - Richter was picked up in the Rule V draft, by Duluth. New Orleans claimed him on a lark to improve their defense in center field. With an injury to Pablo Cabrera, he was being slotted as the late inning defensive player. Not only was he taking advantage by showing off his glove, he began to flash his bat. In the short time he was able to play before breaking his hand, he smashed 8 home runs at the rate of 1 ever 14.8 plate appearances. It was enough to make the front office take notice and slot him in as the starting LF, especially after Jason Guillen left money on the table to earn a little more in the LRS. The sky is the limit on this guy's power, but the questions of his health remains, as he has often been injured. Will he hold up under the physical stress of a full season?

SP Rob Lambert - Lambert in 2007 was a can't miss prospect pitcher for the Trendsetters. A ruptured back disk, elbow chips, and a few trips around to other teams and he arrives in camp hoping to make it as a back end/ long man. It would be quite the story of redemption for him to make it on the roster and have an impact this year. At age 30 it is now or never. One of the most unique angles Lambert has with the pitching staff is with young ace hopeful Glenn "Pizza" Dixon. Both pitchers throw the little used screwball, though Dixon's has much better command and movement.

DH Jarrod Wright - Wright was a major cog in the Calzones lineup last year, finishing second in the home run race to Morimoto. Pitchers often would pitch around the slugger, choosing to face the less dangerous hitter following Wright. This season Wright will have protection, as well as offering protection. He will be either batting right before or right after Morimoto. Put one on base, then you have to face the other. In that mix is up and coming 2B Damon Lambert, who had a very good rookie campaign after missing most of 2015 with a knee injury. RF Serrano is in that mix as well, meaning that you have the potential for 130-140 homeruns out of the middle of the lineup.

Morimoto is 80 home runs from 500, barring and injury it is a mark he can easily set in the next two seasons. How high will he go? It's likely that whatever number he stops at will be the number to beat for years to come.
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Matt
VIP
VIP

#323 Post by Matt »

Trendsetters wrote:Spring Training games begin, short look at some players on the team:

DH Jarrod Wright - Wright was a major cog in the Calzones lineup last year, finishing second in the home run race to Morimoto. Pitchers often would pitch around the slugger, choosing to face the less dangerous hitter following Wright. This season Wright will have protection, as well as offering protection. He will be either batting right before or right after Morimoto. Put one on base, then you have to face the other. In that mix is up and coming 2B Damon Lambert, who had a very good rookie campaign after missing most of 2015 with a knee injury. RF Serrano is in that mix as well, meaning that you have the potential for 130-140 homeruns out of the middle of the lineup.
I think it's a bit misleading to think that Wright was pitched around last year and had no protection. The Calzones were, after all, third in the IL in HR last season, trailing the #2 team by just 3 HR. Wright spent much of the season batting in front of Hernandez, who hit 47 2b's and 25 hr with 83 rbi, and with that only received 6 intentional passes. His walk numbers were very much in line with his only previous full season of play, 2014, when he played in a strong Crystal Lake lineup. If anything, I think the Calzones inability to get runners on base in front of him much of the season probably led to him being pitched around less. At least that would be my take on it. :grin:
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#324 Post by Reg »

For the first time since 2009, Mark Richardson and Morimoto are team mates again. The Trendsetters are hoping that Ice Cold will reignite his bat and put together, 2009 like numbers. But the road has been long and hard for Richardson. 2009 ended with a fractured cheekbone and being shipped to Colorado, trading in the sunny summers for the cold winters both figuratively as well as physically. Things got off to a good start, Aurora was more than happy to pay the up and coming slugger, 6 years- 96 million dollars and the first two years of that deal made it look like a steal. He won a royal raker, was a perennial all-star and a player many teams would have sold out their own mother to have. But then the injuries came and the stats came crashing down. And then that big contract feels like a weight that you can't get out from under. Ice Cold was trashed for his poor post season play and then was pushed to the side for more exciting, less expensive up and coming talent. Some of the trashing may have indeed come from his own arrogance and sense of self worth.

A different man walks into the Trendsetter locker room. He moves slower for one thing, old injuries and phantom pains from abusing his body. Maybe even has a sense of wisdom about him. "It was hell. Sitting on the bench in Aurora, everyone thinking I should be better than I was. I am not sad to be out of that locker room," Ice Cold told a lone reporter who was the only one there when he arrived. "I guess I am hoping for some sort of new beginning. I just want to play ball, have fun, recapture some of the magic. It's no secret that the pressure isn't in New Orleans like it was in Colorado. They haven't been relevant in years. I am going to play hard, try and stay healthy and see what happen. No more media circus, no more will he stay or will he go 24/7. Just me, a ball, a bat, a glove and a game that I love to play."
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Alan Ehlers

#325 Post by Alan Ehlers »

I love this signing. Sure, Richardsons BA/OBP have been terrible the last few seasons. But he still is an amazing defender, has great speed/power and his popularity should draw enough money to cancel out at least half of his salary.

I'm also not convinced that his struggles are purely decline related. Aurora is a perennial contender that is quick to pull a cog out of the system if they start showing signs of failure. Over the last few seasons, Richardsons playing time has dramatically dropped. So which came first? Did he stop getting playing time over a lack of performance or is his lack of performance due to not enough playing time? Ice Cold could be a strong comeback player of the year candidate.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#326 Post by Borealis »

Knights wrote:I love this signing. Sure, Richardsons BA/OBP have been terrible the last few seasons. But he still is an amazing defender, has great speed/power and his popularity should draw enough money to cancel out at least half of his salary.

I'm also not convinced that his struggles are purely decline related. Aurora is a perennial contender that is quick to pull a cog out of the system if they start showing signs of failure. Over the last few seasons, Richardsons playing time has dramatically dropped. So which came first? Did he stop getting playing time over a lack of performance or is his lack of performance due to not enough playing time? Ice Cold could be a strong comeback player of the year candidate.
Easy question to answer - lack of performance. Well, that and injury. He spent a lot of time (seemingly) on the DL and his performance wasn't there, particularly a lot of Ks. He got out performed by 'El Bebe' Lopez who has a career .322 and respectable .454 SLG and .827 OPS. Lopez lacks the power that 'Ice Cold' has, but over the same time frame Mark hit .246 with a .285 OBP (and I'm too lazy to calculate the SLG, but by the eye test, it looks lower by a smidge). As stated numerous times, and above, his value on the infield is undeniable, as well as his speed on the base paths - if he ever got there....

Of course, it really is a moot point for Aurora - we had no cash to even tender him a $1 M contract, much less the $5 M New Orleans is shelling out.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Alan Ehlers

#327 Post by Alan Ehlers »

Borealis wrote: Easy question to answer - lack of performance.
Actually it was a rhetorical question that only Richardson can answer over the course of the next 6 months. Everyone knows his story. 2007-2013 he played at an elite level. In 2014 he had a career low year. In 2015-16 he was banished to the bench. I can't judge his last 2 seasons based on less then 400 at bats. So for New Orleans, this is a great buy low situation.

If we're talking about Aurora not resigning him for the $18 million or whatever they were paying him to be the 25th man on their roster, then yeah, great decision. New Orleans doesn't have guys like Britt or Lopez, nor do they have a $150 million payroll. So they have to take chances on players. And IMO this is a very good risk for the money given that he'll get 500+ at bats.
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#328 Post by Lions »

I think there are some big lessons to be learned from how Richardson performs this year and teams like New Orleans are great opportunities for these types of players to prove themselves. That said, I'm not sure I've seen too many players perform at All-Star levels after having 3 years where they didn't. OSA really felt that he lost his ability to hit for average, and that seems to have played out. He didn't have the plate discipline to bounce back despite still having decent power.

The two players I'm most curious to see how they perform this year are Rob Raines and Rafael Suarez. Will either of them be the next Ice Cold? Personally, I don't think so... and I really hope not. Both are tremendously fun players.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#329 Post by Tyler »

Nutmeggers wrote:The two players I'm most curious to see how they perform this year are Rob Raines and Rafael Suarez. Will either of them be the next Ice Cold? Personally, I don't think so... and I really hope not. Both are tremendously fun players.
BNN put Suarez back in the Top 10 players category - I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I saw that. I don't care if they're accurate - I'll blindly cling to that hope!
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#330 Post by Borealis »

Knights wrote:If we're talking about Aurora not resigning him for the $18 million or whatever they were paying him to be the 25th man on their roster, then yeah, great decision. New Orleans doesn't have guys like Britt or Lopez, nor do they have a $150 million payroll. So they have to take chances on players. And IMO this is a very good risk for the money given that he'll get 500+ at bats.
Don't get me wrong - I agree, very low risk for New Orleans. His production may be worth the $5M. It won't be worth what we'd have had to fork over to keep him. I like this deal for the T-Setters. If he gives them some production, and help fill the stands, it's a win-win for them. What made his contract palatable these past few years, for us, was that he had The 'Richardson Contract', one that de-esculated over the years - he got cheaper!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions

Return to “New Orleans Trendsetters”