A Question for the Original Owners of PEBA

Which of these names for an OOTP online league do you like best?

Lower 48 Baseball League
No votes
National Baseball Group
18%
Planetary Extreme Baseball Alliance
41%
Triple Crown Federation
41%

Total votes: 17

Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: A Question for the Original Owners of PEBA

#31 Post by Denny »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:Well, let's have a little more fun with it, shall we? A poll has been added to this thread asking which of the four original name options for this league you prefer. We're heavily branded, so don't expect any name change for this little league of ours. Still, we'll have some fun with this. :D
Man, I'm trying to remember which name I voted for originally way back when! :-o I think NBG was the one I wanted (which, as you know, did not win). :grin:
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Jim

#32 Post by Jim »

I guess John voted for number 4, Triple Crown Federation.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#33 Post by Denny »

Featherheads wrote:Hmm, I wonder how many are there left? Anyway since we were on the topic of trying to get to know the league better.... my question is how did you come about to owning your team?

Or more specifically, how did the team name come about? Were you allowed to pick your team name? Or was it already created for you? Why did you chose that particular team or location?
I should probably put in my answer to the original question, because frankly this sort of thing is tailor-made for us old folks....there is nothing we love more than to ramble on and on with boring, pointless stories about the olden days. In fact, that reminds me, back when I was a kid we used to ride our bikes to this construction site on the east side of town and throw dirt clods at each other. We would get grains of dirt in our hair and our shoes and all over our clothes, and sometimes someone would get hit in the eye, and start bawling like a little baby. Good times, good times...

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, PEBA's formative years. I was one of the very original owners, dating back to the original discussion thread on Let's Go Tribe (you can look for me as "Jackdaw", Jeff of Manchester as "jdudas", and the Commish as "Corsairs", among others, as well as a lot of interesting franchise names/locations/logos which did not survive to the actual start of the league).

I put a fair amount of thought into the name and location of my team. I knew that I wanted to call them the Codgers, as that had been the name of a pretend basketball league team that I made when I was very young. In the original PEBA thread above, almost all of the initial franchises were located east of the Mississippi, so I decided the Codgers should be somewhere out west. At one point there was also some discussion of the possibility of franchises' Market Size being determined by the nearest large real-life metro area (do any of you other Original Owners remember that?), so I wanted my team someplace in Southern California that would be close enough to end up with the LA market. I settled on Palm Springs, since it was known as something of a retirement community, which would make it fit well with the Codgers name.

With my team being so close to LA and having six of the seven letters of its name in common with the Dodgers, it was easy to then go the next step and appropriate other elements of the real-life Dodgers franchise, adapting big chunks of their logo for Codgers use and stealing Ebbets Field to use for our stadium template. Because of these things (and some other stuff which happened in pre-PEBA Codgers history, which all of you will find out about someday when I get around to writing it), Palm Springs is probably the team closest to being an homage/takeoff of an actual MLB team--although I have never had strong feelings about the real-life Dodgers, either pro or con.

I remember thinking our original rivals were going to be a franchise based in San Luis Obispo, but that owner ended up having to bow out before the league began; I *think* that team might have become the Bakersfield Bears(?)--in which case they ended up being our rivals anyway! :grin:

Oh, and the salmon and green? I picked them simply because they were the coolest uniform colors of all time. 8)
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#34 Post by Tyler »

Codgers wrote:I was one of the very original owners, dating back to the original discussion thread on Let's Go Tribe (you can look for me as "Jackdaw", Jeff of Manchester as "jdudas", and the Commish as "Corsairs", among others, as well as a lot of interesting franchise names/locations/logos which did not survive to the actual start of the league).
What a brilliant find, Denny. Thank you for sharing this!
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#35 Post by John »

That's some really interesting stuff, Denny. I had no idea about the origin story for Palm Springs. I'd be interested in hearing other origin stories from our remaining original owners (we still have quite a few).

You're right, Denny: The San Luis Obispo Blue Greys were taken over by Jon and Aric prior the Inaugural Draft and moved to Bakersfield, where they became the Bears. Much like with Tyler of West Virginia, I consider Jon and Aric to be original owners.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#36 Post by Borealis »

That link was great. Good to see some familiar names there. I seem to miss John in the discussion. Was he there and I just missed him? I did see reference to the Evanston Invaders
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#37 Post by John »

Borealis wrote:That link was great. Good to see some familiar names there. I seem to miss John in the discussion. Was he there and I just missed him? I did see reference to the Evanston Invaders
My handle at LGT is "Corsairs".
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#38 Post by Bill »

Codgers wrote: I should probably put in my answer to the original question, because frankly this sort of thing is tailor-made for us old folks....there is nothing we love more than to ramble on and on with boring, pointless stories about the olden days. In fact, that reminds me, back when I was a kid we used to ride our bikes to this construction site on the east side of town and throw dirt clods at each other. We would get grains of dirt in our hair and our shoes and all over our clothes, and sometimes someone would get hit in the eye, and start bawling like a little baby. Good times, good times...
So much for having a mouth full of 'Dew when I read this. I guess the keyboard will be back in the dishwasher tomorrow.
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#39 Post by klewis »

Thanks for that link Denny. Some of the other team names out there that didn't make the cut were pretty interesting:

Utah Bandits
Virginia Renegades
Asheville Biltmores
Char United
Bethesda Bombers
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#40 Post by Maulers »

Sorry to be late to this thread everyone. I am, as Denny noted above, one of the very original owners in PEBA. Like John and Denny, I got involved from the original LGT thread. To be frank, I had no idea what I was getting into. I figured, probably like most, that OOTP was just a souped-up fantasy baseball league.

As for the history bit. We were living at the time in Manchester, Connecticut - a town of about 50,000 that is located just outside of Hartford. In an inexplicable moment of civic pride, I not only named the club after the town, I also named my stadium after one of the two 19th century silk-mill patriarchs (Whiten) who had made Manchester a viable community. The other patriarch (Cheney) is the East Coast branch of the Dick Cheney family line. Mindful of the need to ward off cosmic curses, I of course chose Whiten (which just so happened also to the be the name of the local public library).

As an Indians fan, I modeled Whiten Field on the dimensions of old League Park in Cleveland. My Dad used to go to games there and I always loved those old bizarrely-configured parks.

The Maulers name...well, I don't actually remember where that came from. I think it just sounded good to me. I stole the Maulers logo from the Memphis Redbirds minor league team and went with blue and white for the team colors because...I don't remember that either.
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Jim

#41 Post by Jim »

I would be interested in having a list of real-life owners command of teams. The main reason I would refer to this often would be to have an idea of how much of the history of a team that a current owner was responsible for.

I would even go so far as to volunteer to maintain such a list for league use. The main problems are that I don't have the history (except what's listed above) and I am no whiz at creating HTML. But I don't think I'd have any trouble maintaining an HTML file. So if someone could put together a sample HTML file I could fill it out with the history (that John or someone provided) and then maintain it into the future.
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#42 Post by Duane »

I am not the original owner in Kentucky nor did I have any say in team names or locations ... I did change parks and picked the battle attire with John coming up with logo choices for the ML-AAA-AA-A teams. I took over Kentucky during the first season immediately prior to the release of the player list for the first year player draft. Drunken Bill joined in for the first year player draft chat session, while oogling the neighbor girl and handing out drinks. :-B

We'd like to forget that 2007 season, although the last palyer we picked (8 rounds that year) is now the IL 2010 Gold-Glove SS, Travis Cruz. :mrgreen:
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#43 Post by Denny »

Thoroughbreds wrote:I am not the original owner in Kentucky nor did I have any say in team names or locations
Yes, Kentucky and Fargo were the two clubs that really got the green weenie when PEBA began--with their absentee original owners skipping out on the inaugural draft without drawing up any kind of draft list, and leaving it all up to the OOTP AI....with the result that then both ended up with a ton of middle relievers and not much else. 8-o :-* :cry:
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#44 Post by John »

Codgers wrote:Yes, Kentucky and Fargo were the two clubs that really got the green weenie when PEBA began--with their absentee original owners skipping out on the inaugural draft without drawing up any kind of draft list, and leaving it all up to the OOTP AI....with the result that then both ended up with a ton of middle relievers and not much else. 8-o :-* :cry:
Yet look how far those two franchises have come. Kentucky has the most fearsome farm system in the PEBA, and Fargo is a legitimate threat to Crystal Lake's Desert Hills dominance. When you consider what a hole those initial owners placed those clubs in, you realize what an amazing job Cristian and Duane have done.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#45 Post by Denny »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:Much like with Tyler of West Virginia, I consider Jon and Aric to be original owners.
Whereas I consider them to be upstart Johnny-come-latelys! :-[ :grin:
PEBA Commissioner wrote:
Codgers wrote:Yes, Kentucky and Fargo were the two clubs that really got the green weenie when PEBA began--with their absentee original owners skipping out on the inaugural draft without drawing up any kind of draft list, and leaving it all up to the OOTP AI....with the result that then both ended up with a ton of middle relievers and not much else. 8-o :-* :cry:
Yet look how far those two franchises have come. Kentucky has the most fearsome farm system in the PEBA, and Fargo is a legitimate threat to Crystal Lake's Desert Hills dominance. When you consider what a hole those initial owners placed those clubs in, you realize what an amazing job Cristian and Duane have done.
Very true; both those teams were revolving doors of disinterested and uninvolved owners until Cristian and Duane took over. Just stabilizing the franchise ownerships would have been a major achievement; but that they have also have built their teams up this quickly in terms of actual baseball talent is nothing short of incredible.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”