A Good Weekend in Canton

Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

A Good Weekend in Canton

#1 Post by Coqui »

The I-77 corridor was abuzz this weekend with news from the inaugural PEBA draft. Ohio's own Canton Longshoremen put minds at ease when they selected SS George Riley with the 17th pick of the first round. Riley, a Florida native, said of his selection by the northern Ohio team "I hear it is cold and rainy there." Riley will be pleased to note that today it was only rainy, with a high temperature of 44. Canton can only hope that early season weather will not slow down the sweet swinging 26 year old.

The Longshoremen were thrilled to find C Jeff Cline still on the board when they selected again in the second round. Cline, who hits for high average with middling power, was "someone we had ranked first at his position," according to Canton GM Brad Dobney. Cline will stabilize the Canton defense with his arm and skill behind the plate. Another Southerner, Cline has already been spotted at the local stores looking for thermal blanket.

Following the excitement of the first rounds came the portion of the draft where GM's earn their keep. Extreme groundball pitcher Oscar Holloway was followed by pickoff artist Pedro Cruz as Canton attempted to bolster the pitching staff. 3B Luis Hernandez was selected and should provide some much needed pop to the lineup.
GM Brad Dobney was most happy with his selection of RF Lee Ritchie with the 128th pick of the draft. Ritchie was projected as one of the most powerful players in the league, but slipped through the cracks until he finally fell to the Longshoremen. "He is a bit older [31] than we would have liked but we are more than willing to gamble on that kind of power that late in the day," said Dobney.

Day Two began with just as high a note as Day One ended. Waylon Whaley remained on the board and Canton snagged the doubles machine to begin a day that saw the outfield solidify and the bullpen begin to take shape.

"All things considered, I am quite happy with how things went for us this weekend," the youthful GM said, "I really think we have the base of a contending ballclub here." Dobney could not be pressured into revealing his thoughts on having so low a pick while his brothers chose so high in the draft. Rumor swirled and eddied in the gloaming of the Ohio day but, at the end, the 17th position seems to have suited Canton just fine.

Return to “League News and Articles”