Best movies of the 2000s - Yearly Top 5 lists

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best movies of the 2000s - Yearly Top 5 lists

#76 Post by John »

2012 Movie Rankings
To qualify for this list, a film must have received a U.S. theatrical or video-on-demand release during 2013. When interpreting my tiers, know that I consider "A" movies to be must-sees, "B" movies to be recommended, "C" movies to be recommended for particular tastes, "D" movies to be avoided, and "F" movies to reaffirm your belief that Hollywood is trying to rob you of your hard-earned cash.
  1. The "A" tier
  2. Looper
  3. Silver Linings Playbook
  4. The Grey
  5. Cloud Atlas
  6. Headhunters
  7. The Raid: Redemption
    The "B" tier
  8. Argo
  9. Life of Pi
  10. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
  11. The Intouchables
  12. End of Watch
  13. The Sessions
  14. Goon
  15. Dredd
  16. Lawless
  17. Wreck-It Ralph
  18. Haywire
  19. Django Unchained
  20. This Means War
  21. Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
  22. Safety Not Guaranteed
  23. Total Recall
    The "C" tier
  24. Flight
  25. The Cabin in the Woods
  26. Seven Psychopaths
  27. Lincoln
  28. Farewell, My Queen
  29. Zero Dark Thirty
  30. John Carter
  31. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  32. Rock of Ages
  33. Prometheus
  34. The Hunger Games
  35. Contraband
  36. Alex Cross
  37. Act of Valor
    The "D" tier
  38. The Raven
  39. Sinister
  40. Sleepwalk with Me
  41. Beasts of the Southern Wild
  42. Trouble with the Curve
  43. Red Tails
  44. Skyfall
  45. The Woman in Black
  46. Safe House
  47. Damsels in Distress
  48. Red Dawn
    The "F" tier
  49. 21 Jump Street
  50. The Campaign
  51. Jack Reacher
  52. Taken 2
  53. Snow White and the Huntsman
  54. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
  55. Battleship
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#77 Post by John »

NOTE: Films new to these lists are highlighted in red.

Best of the 2000s
  1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - The movie that kept cinema alive for me long enough for my #2 movie of the decade to rekindle my passion. I never would have thought it possible for there to be such a perfect capturing of those masterworks of literature, but Peter Jackson pulls it off.
  2. V for Vendetta - The movie that made cinema relevant to me again after a 10-year falling out. Much more than a simple action film, this one really reached me on a personal level. "Remember, remember the fifth of November,"... a message as timely now as it was in the time of Guy Fawkes.
  3. Inception - It's always dangerous ranking movies you've only recently seen; they tend to come off higher than they should be. Despite that fact, I believe Inception will stick high on my list. It's theme of the importance of letting go of regret and the importance of forgiving yourself resonated with me.
  4. Looper - Science fiction so smart, you don't bother looking for the time travel paradoxes. A thrilling showdown between an older and younger version of one person is the draw, but the lasting message of how love has the power to redeem even the most damaged child is what ultimately sticks with you.
  5. District 9 - How amazing is this film? For $30M, Neill Blomkamp delivered a poignant tale of how we all too often allow our differences to become justifications for bigotry, and created a cracking sci-fi/action film with production values rivaling movies with 10x District 9's budget. It's just my kind of film; simultaneously entertaining and thought-provoking.
  6. There Will Be Blood - An acting and directorial tour de force. Who would have thought, "I drink your milkshake!" would become a classic line for the ages?
  7. No Country For Old Men - The Coen Brothers have long deserved recognition for their quirky work. They finally received it with one of their darkest films ever - and coming from these guys, that's saying a lot.
  8. Avatar - Say what you want about the film's worldview, but it's clearly a film that's going to impact how we look at movie's for years to come (quite literally, if the spate of announcements of 3D versions of upcoming movies is any indication).
  9. Children of Men - An artistically shot film depicting a hopelessly bleak future. Sometimes depressing can be beautiful.
  10. The Wrestler - As touching a movie as you'll find. Just a superlative performance by Rourke. The work he must have put in to get his body in shape for this film is difficult to imagine.
  11. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - RotK gave this trilogy the fine send-off it deserved and cemented its place as the #1 movie series of the decade.
  12. Gladiator - A grand epic in the Braveheart mold (which, incidentally, remains one of my favorite films of all time).
  13. Collateral - No one paid much attention to this move. They should have. Watching Jamie Foxx make the journey from dreamer to doer is inspirational.
  14. Silver Linings Playbook - A difficult romance between bipolar lovers may not sound like a lot of fun, but this movie draws laughs and tears in equal measure.
  15. In Bruges - My highest ranked comedy was also not seen by many people. Like Collateral, it deserves more attention, though I admit the film's foreign-ness works against its acceptance here in the States.
  16. Blood Diamond - Is it emotionally manipulative? Probably. In this case, I was successfully manipulated. You win this round, Ed Zwick.
  17. True Grit - An absolute pleasure to watch, True Grit actually makes me root for a comeback for the western genre. The melodic use of language, the gravelly voiced performance by Jeff Bridges and the stellar debut from young Hailee Steinfeld make True Grit a movie I'll look forward to seeing again.
  18. The Grey - It's a testament to the power of this story that even though you know the men who have been stranded in the Alaska wilderness are likely to die, you still feel so much for them. While the audience left my screening complaining about the abrupt ending, I left wiping tears from my eyes.
  19. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - The least of the trilogy is still a fine film in its own right. Boo for dumbed-down Ents; yay for the Battle of Helm's Deep!
  20. Serenity - My lowest ranked top film of a year before 2011 (which placed no films on the top 25 at all). It won't show up on most film critics' top anything list, but then most film critics aren't as passionately in love with Firefly as I am.
  21. Shoot 'Em Up - I make no apologies for unabashedly loving this celebration of wanton violence. If you're thinking about going over the top, take a hint from Shoot 'Em Up and go all the way over... then be careful not to trip over your audiences' jaws as you go even further.
  22. Pan's Labyrinth - Watching what Guillermo del Toro dreams up here makes me wonder what he would have done with The Hobbit.
  23. Frost/Nixon - If you're going to see just one biopic, see this one.
  24. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - If I were asked what the second most beautifully shot movie of the decade was, I would nominate Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
  25. Memento - You could make a compelling argument that this amazingly told story is the best movie of the 2000s. Perhaps I saw it before I was ready, but I still recognize its genius.
Falling off the list: Inglourious Basterds, Inside Job, Munich

Worst of the 2000s
  1. Transformers - When one of these brain-dead mega-budget films gets made, how many smaller budget potential gems do we lose out on? I shudder to think.
  2. Battleship - Is it a coincidence that the two worst movies of the 2000s were based off of toys/games? Or that #3 was essentially designed to shill merchandise?
  3. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - The Phantom Menace already dragged my memories of the original trilogy through the mud. Now you're burying my memories neck-deep in dung.
  4. Battlefield Earth - Of all the movies on this list, this one is easily the worst from a purely technical perspective. Film students will be studying this movie for years as an example of what not to do.
  5. Four Lions - See my tirade from 2010. It's a testament to my hatred for this film that I lump it in with these big-budget shlock-fests. I probably hated my experience with Four Lions more than any of the other films on this list. Still, part of what goes into my determination of "worst" is expectations, and I expected less from Four Lions than these other films.
  6. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Someday, we will swear to our kids that this was really a movie. And they won't believe us, because the world will be a less stupid place then.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#78 Post by John »

2013 Movies to Anticipate
  • The Place Beyond the Pines (March 29) - I didn't see it, but people raved over Blue Valentine, the collaboration between director Derek Cianfrance and actor Ryan Gosling. These two re-team for a story about stunt rider who turns criminal to provide for his family.
  • Oblivion (April 19) - I don't have a good read on this film, and the lack of buzz may be a bad sign given that it's close to release. Still shots make the film look quite striking, though. I'm hopeful that Tom Cruise and director Joseph Kosinski have a story to match the visuals.
  • Only God Forgives (July 19) - Gosling's back and again re-teaming with a previous collaborator. Director Nicolas Winding Refn provided Gosling with his most iconic role in the movie Drive. All I know is that "a policeman and a gangster getting into a Thai boxing match to settle their score." Gosling, Refn, and Thai boxing match. Sold.
  • Elysium (August 9) - You say, "Original sci-fi from Neill Blomkamp, the man who created District 9?" Ticket, please!
  • Gravity (October 4) - Making it's second straight appearance on my Most Anticipated list! Alfonso Cuarón wowed me with his spectacular long shots in Children of Men, and now he's bringing them to space in a film with a cast of two. I'm hearing it could be revolutionary in style, though one does worry about the lengthy delay.
  • Ender's Game (November 1) - The 1985 Orson Scott Card book is a science fiction classic. I can't wait to see Harrison Ford, Asa Butterfield, and Hailee Steinfeld bring classic characters to life.
  • The Wolf of Wall Street (November 15) - This will be the fifth time that director Martin Scorsese and actor Leonardo DiCaprio have collaborated. One of those collaboration, The Departed, won Best Picture in 2006. Let's hope they recapture the magic here.
  • The Monuments Men (December 18) - I've got a really good feeling about this end-of-year Oscar bait from director George Clooney. George also stars in this yarn about a crew of art historians and museum curators who join forces to recover artwork stolen by Nazis before Hitler can destroy them. I'm not even going to run down the all-star cast... I'd be here all night.
  • Twelve Years a Slave (December 27) - You've got a hell of a cast here: Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Benedict Cumberbatch, just to name a few. That would be enough to get me excited. That we get a mature story about slavery the 1800s South ensures that this will be one to catch.
  • The Raid: Retaliation (Release date TBD) - After I just got done praising The Raid: Redemption (my #6 film for 2012), how could I not peg its sequel as one to anticipate? This movie, which will be known as Berandal overseas, forms the second part of planned trilogy and picks up two hours after the conclusion of its predecessor. It takes the action out of a contained high-rise building and out onto the streets.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#79 Post by Tyler »

John wrote:2013 Movies to Anticipate
Poor Star Trek: Into Darkness...surely you have some fanboy left in you, John, especially with Benedict Cumberbatch joining in for this one. O:-)
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#80 Post by Mike Dunn »

Yay for Silver Linings Playbook, which I've yet to see, but it was filmed in my hometown.

Wow: budget for Elysium is put at $100M and budget for Gravity is put at $80M. Not sure if those figures include marketing. But that's Pujolsian dough. And I never realized Bethesda's RPG Oblivion was being made into a film :wink: .

BTW John your link on Ender's Game takes us to some gangsta flick.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#81 Post by Denny »

John wrote:Movies seen in 2012
To qualify for this list, a film must have received a U.S. theatrical or video-on-demand release during 2012. When interpreting my tiers, know that I consider "A" movies to be must-sees, "B" movies to be recommended, "C" movies to be recommended for particular tastes, "D" movies to be avoided, and "F" movies to reaffirm your belief that Hollywood is trying to rob you of your hard-earned cash.
53 movies!? 8-o John, let me be the first to thank you for your sacrifice in sitting through so many mediocre offerings that the rest of us might save ourselves the trouble. :grin: Seriously, I think I saw maybe one or two films this past year at most. :-x
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#82 Post by John »

Codgers wrote:53 movies!? 8-o John, let me be the first to thank you for your sacrifice in sitting through so many mediocre offerings that the rest of us might save ourselves the trouble. :grin: Seriously, I think I saw maybe one or two films this past year at most. :-x
There's method to my madness. I never used to watch as many movies or read as many books as I did in 2011 and (even more so) in 2012. But when I got an inkling that I might be wanting to take a stab at a career in the arts, I figured that I better start a.) consuming more stories, b.) consuming a greater variety of stories, c.) consuming both the stories I expect I'll like and those I expect to suck, and d.) learning to analyze why I did/didn't like a particular story. I feel that putting the analysis in words via my reviews has really given me a better understanding of what fires my passions as a story consumer. I'm hopeful that this understanding will make me a better storyteller.

That being said, yeah, I maybe could have done without Snow White and the Huntsmen, Rock of Ages, Prometheus, and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter in a three-week span. One could argue that I could have found a moderately more impactful usage for those eight hours of my eight hours of my life - like, say, anything that didn't land me in prison. Actually, something that would have landed me in prison would probably have been more entertaining than any of those films. :-x
Ghosts wrote:Yay for Silver Linings Playbook, which I've yet to see, but it was filmed in my hometown.
Definitely see it! It's such a good movie, and it probably is still in a theater near you.
Ghosts wrote:BTW John your link on Ender's Game takes us to some gangsta flick.
Fixed!
Alleghenies wrote:Poor Star Trek: Into Darkness...surely you have some fanboy left in you, John, especially with Benedict Cumberbatch joining in for this one. O:-)
I knew you'd have something to say about that. ;) Here's the thing: I am interested to see STID, but I have to weigh interest against a few factors. First, the last truly great Star Trek movie was, in my opinion, 1982's Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Since then, there have been entries into the series that have been reasonably enjoyable, but nothing that has really stood out in my mind. 31 years is a long time to wait for a worthy follow-up.

Second, I don't completely trust J.J. Abrams. He's often long on promise, short on substance. His last film, Super 8, embodied all my frustrations with him.

Which leads to my third concern: I didn't really love the J.J. Abrams' helmed 2009 Star Trek reboot. It's kind of tough to grade because it was so much better than the absolute dreck that preceded it in the Star Trek film series, but that's damning with faint praise. Judged on its own merits, it had its moments and I certainly wouldn't call it a bad film, but not a great film either; probably a forgettable "C" in the vein that The Hobbit.

But that's just me being me. Most everyone is going to be excited for STID, which is perfectly fair and reasonable. In fact, you've inspired me to make a new "Most Anticipated" list, Tyler. Let me get to work on that... I'll be back in a bit.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#83 Post by John »

2013 Movies to Anticipate - FANBOY EDITION
I have given you my personal list of the top 10 movies to anticipate in 2013. But let's be honest: While I stand by my list, it's probably not representative of the tastes of most moviegoers. Most of us don't get out to the theater dozens of time a year. We're lucky if we have time to catch two films, so they better be big. It helps if they're based off of franchises we're familiar with, too, because you don't want to blow your one or two theater nights a year on something without a track record. I'm for originality and risk-taking whenever possible, but I recognize the realities brought on by time pressures. And I completely appreciate that we don't all want our movies to be "deep"; sometimes, "fun" is just fine, thank you very much. :)

With these thoughts in mind, allow me to introduce my list of the top 2013 movies that should draw out the fanboys and the more casual moviegoers. We're going to bump this list up to 20 because there's a whole lot of big tentpole films coming out this year. The descriptions attached to each movie are pulled straight from the IMDb. I'll add my own thoughts to a few of these entries, too.
  • Evil Dead (April 5) - Mia, a young woman struggling with sobriety, heads to a remote cabin with her brother and a group of friends, where the discovery of a Book of the Dead leads to danger and horror.
  • Iron Man 3 (May 3) - Tony Stark uses his ingenuity to fight those who destroyed his private world and soon goes up against his most powerful enemy yet: the Mandarin.
  • Star Trek Into Darkness (May 17) - After the crew of the Enterprise find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.
    • The movie that inspired this second "Most Anticipated" list. I've already stated my reasons for why it doesn't make my personal "Most Anticipated" list. Even so, I am interested to see it. It's my fourth-most anticipated film on this list.
  • The Fast and the Furious 6 (May 24) - No IMDb plot description, so I'll go out on a limb and say it's about fast cars and furious drivers.
  • The Hangover Part III (May 24) - This time, there's no wedding. No bachelor party. What could go wrong, right? But when the Wolfpack hits the road, all bets are off.
  • Man of Steel (June 14) - An alien infant is raised on Earth, and grows up with superhuman abilities. He sets out to use these abilities to guard his adopted world.
    • I normally have no interest in superhero films, but this is a story by David S. Goyer, Christopher Nolan, two of the most sophisticated mainstream Hollywood writers around. The trailer didn't suck, either. On ther writers' potential alone, this is my fifth-most anticipated film on this list.
  • Monsters University (June 21) - A look at the relationship between Mike and Sulley during their days at the University of Fear -- when they weren't necessarily the best of friends.
  • World War Z (June 21) - A U.N. employee is racing against time and fate, as he travels the world trying to stop the outbreak of a deadly Zombie pandemic.
    • Loosely based on the fabulous book by Max Brooks, and I do mean "loosely." News that much of what made the novel unique is being scrapped for the movie turned this from a surefire personal Most Anticipated to a big, fat question mark. It doesn't help that it was delayed six months; never a good sign. Even so, this is probably my second-most anticipated film on this list.
  • Pacific Rim (July 12) - When an alien attack threatens the Earth's existence, giant robots piloted by humans are deployed to fight off the menace.
    • I was all set to place Guillermo del Toro's first film in five years on my personal "Most Anticipated" list until I saw the trailer. It did nothing for me; just a bunch of robots and monsters getting tossed around. Somebody in the theater mistook it for Transformers 4; that's an indictment, if ever there was one. But of course, advertisers are going to sell summer tentpoles on spectacle. I'm still hopeful that del Toro has something special here, and this is most definitely my most anticipated movie on this list.
  • R.I.P.D. (July 19) - A recently slain cop joins a team of undead police officers working for the Rest in Peace Department and tries to find the man who murdered him.
  • The Wolverine (July 26) - Wolverine travels to Japan to train with a samurai warrior.
  • 300: Rise of an Empire (August 2) - The Greek general Themistocles battles an invading army of Persians under the mortal-turned-god, Xerxes.
    • Sequel to 2006's 300.
  • The World's End (August 23) - Five friends who reunite in an attempt to top their epic pub crawl from 20 years earlier unwittingly become humankind's only hope for survival.
  • Riddick (September 6) - Left for dead on a sun-scorched planet, Riddick finds himself up against a alien race of predators. Activating an emergency beacon alerts two ships: one carrying a new breed of merc, and the other captained by a man from Riddick's past.
    • Pitch Black was an awesome little horror film that established the iconic Riddick character. The Chronicles of Riddick tried to turn the series into a sci-fi/action mass market franchise, to largely disastrous results. I'm hoping for a return to the small-scale butt-kicking of the original. My third-most anticipated film on this list.
  • Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (October 4) - The town's most hard boiled citizens cross paths with some of its more reviled inhabitants.
  • Thor: The Dark World (November 8 ) - Thor battles an ancient race of Dark Elves led by the vengeful Malekith who threatens to plunge the universe back into darkness after the events of The Avengers.
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (November 22) - The continuing adventures of Katniss Everdeen, which take place in a futuristic dystopian world, as she prepares for the Quarter Quell.
    • The Hunger Games was disappointing in both book and movie form. It's going to take a lot to get me to theater to see this.
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (December 13) - The Dwarfs, Bilbo and Gandalf have successfully escaped the misty mountains, but Bilbo has gained the one ring. They all continue their journey to get their gold back off the Dragon, Smaug.
    • Is there a chance that this will be better than An Unexpected Journey? Maybe, but I'm not holding my breath. Unlike Catching Fire, though, I will probably give this a shot in the theaters. Suzanne Collins is one thing, but J. R. R. Tolkien has plenty of storytelling cred to burn with me.
  • Anchorman: The Legend Continues (December 20) - The continuing on-set adventures of San Diego's top rated newsman.
  • Jack Ryan (December 25) - Jack Ryan, as a young covert CIA analyst, uncovers a Russian plot to crash the U.S. economy with a terrorist attack.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#84 Post by John »

We have a new Worst Movie of the Year! The previous worst of 2012, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, landed at #5 on my Worst of the 2000s list. Where does this new film rank? Find out!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#85 Post by John »

NOTE: Newcomers interested in seeing previous rankings from the 2000s should start from the beginning of this thread before jumping into the post below.

It was a great movie year but, boy, it didn't start out that way. By the end of March, I had four "F"-rated films (including a top 5 all-time worst candidate) and nary an A-rated film to balance things out. Indeed, it wasn't until the one-two mega punch of Prisoners and Gravity in mid-September that I saw anything better than the shockingly not-terrible summer tentpole World War Z.

When the turnaround came, it came with a vengeance. Oscar season was particularly kind this year. Sure, there were a few pretenders: Philomena was trite; The Book Thief played the maudlin violin far too often; and sorry, Cohen brothers lovers, but not a damn thing of note happened in Inside Llewyn Davis. These were the exceptions to the rule, though. You can feel good about watching the Oscars this year - assuming you're cool with Ellen DeGeneres - because most of the nominated films are truly deserving.

It wasn't just Oscar fare that made this year so good, though. The aforementioned World War Z improbably beat expectations of disaster to become both a commercial and critical hit. Another tentpole, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, did something you almost never see happen: it trumped its predecessor in every way. (I probably should clarify that this was good trumping. Plenty of sequels trump their predecessors for awfulness - I'm looking at you, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.) And there were a trio of "E-bombs" - Ender's Game, Elysium, and Escape Plan - that died at the box office but definitely deserve your VOD time.

You can't expect nothing but roses, of course. It took both Sly Stallone and "The Governator" to lend Escape Plan a fun 80s-era action vibe; when the pair split up, we got flops like Bullet to the Head and The Last Stand (and the less said about Bruce's A Good Day to Die Hard, the better). The horror genre is still stagnating; nothing trumped the "C"-level The Conjuring, and both You're Next and the Evil Dead remake were major disappointments. And whatever deal Stephanie Meyer struck with the Devil to sell all tweens on Twilight expired upon the stillbirth release of The Host.

But why harp on the bad when there was so much good? Over half of the 52 films I saw in 2013 were above average, in my estimation. At least a couple have the potential to be thought of as classics one day. That's nothing to sniff at, folks. Hooray for Hollywood in 2013!

As always, the following ratings only considering films that I have seen. That means touted films like Nebraska and Dallas Buyers Club aren't candidates for my top 5, just as RIPD and Grown Ups 2 are (thankfully) ineligible for Worst of the Year.

Top 5 Films
  1. Prisoners - Use the fact that you didn't see this film to your advantage (and you didn't ... don't lie). You're friends didn't see it, either. Get them together. Watch it in a group. You're going to need everyone to piece together all the clues. I promise you that you'll have missed connections at the end, which is where your friends will come in handy. You'll be saying, "Ah ha!" for hours, if not days, after the film is over. That's the mark of a great mystery movie, but Prisoners is so much more than that. It's a dark exploration of how far a man will go for his child. Hugh Jackman's journey takes us for a ride as we, the viewers, must decide if this father has gone too far in his pursuit. Would we do the same if the endangered child was our own? Is such brutal ugliness ever justified? The best movies make you question your own values; Prisoners certainly succeeds there.
  2. American Hustle - David O. Russell is just freaking brilliant. Three Kings, The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook ... has this guy ever bombed? No. He gets the most out of his actors. Sure, he works with talented performers, but having good ingredients is only half the battle for making a great dish; you still need to have the talent to put those ingredients together in a way that makes the dish sing. Russell clearly knows how to do that. Someday, I would love to see him direct a film with Kellan Lutz and Kristen Stewart; then we'll really know that Russell is a miracle-worker.
  3. Her - The premise is creepy; the product is beautiful. What I love most about Her - even more than the haunting soundtrack by Arcade Fire - is that you're left wondering if you're watching a glorious vision of the evolution of human relationships or a dystopian future that is the inevitable endgame to our increasingly self-segregated techno-lives. I'm still not sure I know the answer, but I love that I'm still thinking about it a month after watching the film.
  4. Gravity - This one's a winner just for being a true technical marvel. If David O. Russell is the director who maximizes his performers, Alfonso Cuarón is the one who maximizes the visual potential of the medium. If you see Gravity on your big-screen non-3D TV, you simply aren't experiencing the film the way it demands to be experienced: in glorious IMAX 3D with the biggest damn sound system money can buy. Try not being impressed in that environment when you watch that 17-minute-long opening shot (and yes, I know there is a cut or two hidden in there, but they're nearly invisible so they don't count).
  5. The Wolf of Wall Street - You don't like F-bombs? Then you probably want to steer clear of Wolf, which sets the record for F-bombs in a non-documentary (though the exact tally differs by source). You also should steer clear if you disapprove of midget-tossing, rampant drug use, graphic sexuality, drug use and sexuality combined in frightening and disgusting new ways, or a filmmaker courting controversy. Everyone else should enjoy the most uproariously funny movie of the year and then sit and think what it means that we laugh in the face of such decadence.
Worst of the Year (TIE) - The Host and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Pick your poison. Technically, The Host is the worse movie. Who in the world thought that a film where the protagonist spends the entire runtime emoting at the camera while conducting a voice-over argument with the alien in her head was a tenable idea? Stephenie Meyer, apparently. She was dead wrong. I hadn't walked out of a film before its conclusion in memory until I walked out of The Host. I was halfway into demanding that the theater manager reimburse me when I remembered it was a free screening. Yes, The Host was that bad.

And still, I think I hated The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug that much more, for it utterly collapses under the weight of expectations. Even if it is a more technically competent film from an audio/visual standpoint, it is so damn soulless, so bereft of sound storytelling principle, such a transparent cash-grab, and such a turd dump onto the proud Tolkien estate, which has honored their father's memory and deserves so much better than this Nintendo 64 game masquerading as film. This is billion-dollar fan fiction. It's also the very worst film I have seen in the 2000s when put into context (yes, expectations matter). No wonder Christopher Tolkien hates The Hobbit films.

Don't Call It a Comeback - The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. I almost skipped the second Hunger Games film after the first one left me so unimpressed. Not that the book was in any way deep, but give Suzanne Collins her due: she hit on a genuinely interesting premise. The Hunger Games failed to convey any of the deeper philosophical points that bubbled beneath the book's surface. I expected Catching Fire to be just as shallow, but color me surprised. New director Francis Lawrence found and highlighted the subversive edge to the story. Not only that, but he was kind enough to film action scenes without jiggling the camera every which way. The result is a sequel that is superior to its predecessor in every way. It actually got me to read Catching Fire after I had sworn off the rest of the series, and it has rekindled my interest in the two-part finale hitting theaters in late 2014 and 2015.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#86 Post by John »

2013 Movie Rankings
To qualify for this list, a film must have received a U.S. theatrical or video-on-demand release during 2013. When interpreting my tiers, know that I consider "A" movies to be must-sees, "B" movies to be recommended, "C" movies to be recommended for particular tastes, "D" movies to be avoided, and "F" movies to reaffirm your belief that Hollywood is trying to rob you of your hard-earned cash.
  1. The "A" tier
  2. Prisoners
  3. American Hustle
  4. Her
  5. Gravity
  6. The Wolf of Wall Street
  7. World War Z
  8. Ender's Game
    The "B" tier
  9. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
  10. Elysium
  11. Escape Plan
  12. Snitch
  13. Oblivion
  14. Pain & Gain
  15. Rush
  16. Lee Daniels' The Butler
  17. Now You See Me
  18. Gangster Squad
  19. Jurassic Park: An IMAX 3D Experience
  20. Riddick
  21. The Counselor
  22. The Kings of Summer
  23. The Place Beyond the Pines
  24. Saving Mr. Banks
    The "C" tier
  25. Captain Phillips
  26. Pacific Rim
  27. Fast & Furious 6
  28. 12 Years a Slave
  29. Warm Bodies
  30. The Family
  31. Runner Runner
  32. The Conjuring
  33. 42
  34. Philomena
  35. Red 2
  36. Trance
  37. Homefront
  38. After Earth
    The "D" tier
  39. Olympus Has Fallen
  40. The Book Thief
  41. Man of Steel
  42. Bullet to the Head
  43. Star Trek Into Darkness
  44. White House Down
  45. The Purge
  46. Jack the Giant Slayer
    The "F" tier
  47. The Last Stand
  48. Inside Llewyn Davis
  49. You're Next
  50. Evil Dead
  51. Getaway
  52. A Good Day to Die Hard
  53. The Host
  54. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#87 Post by John »

NOTE: Films new to these lists are highlighted in red.

Best of the 2000s
  1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - The movie that kept cinema alive for me long enough for my #2 movie of the decade to rekindle my passion. I never would have thought it possible for there to be such a perfect capturing of those masterworks of literature, but Peter Jackson pulls it off.
  2. V for Vendetta - The movie that made cinema relevant to me again after a 10-year falling out. Much more than a simple action film, this one really reached me on a personal level. "Remember, remember the fifth of November,"... a message as timely now as it was in the time of Guy Fawkes.
  3. Inception - It's always dangerous ranking movies you've only recently seen; they tend to come off higher than they should be. Despite that fact, I believe Inception will stick high on my list. It's theme of the importance of letting go of regret and the importance of forgiving yourself resonated with me.
  4. Looper - Science fiction so smart, you don't bother looking for the time travel paradoxes. A thrilling showdown between an older and younger version of one person is the draw, but the lasting message of how love has the power to redeem even the most damaged child is what ultimately sticks with you.
  5. District 9 - How amazing is this film? For $30M, Neill Blomkamp delivered a poignant tale of how we all too often allow our differences to become justifications for bigotry, and created a cracking sci-fi/action film with production values rivaling movies with 10x District 9's budget. It's just my kind of film; simultaneously entertaining and thought-provoking.
  6. There Will Be Blood - An acting and directorial tour de force. Who would have thought, "I drink your milkshake!" would become a classic line for the ages?
  7. No Country For Old Men - The Coen Brothers have long deserved recognition for their quirky work. They finally received it with one of their darkest films ever - and coming from these guys, that's saying a lot.
  8. Avatar - Say what you want about the film's worldview, but it's clearly a film that's going to impact how we look at movie's for years to come (quite literally, if the spate of announcements of 3D versions of upcoming movies is any indication).
  9. Children of Men - An artistically shot film depicting a hopelessly bleak future. Sometimes depressing can be beautiful.
  10. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - RotK gave this trilogy the fine send-off it deserved and cemented its place as the #1 movie series of the decade.
  11. Gladiator - A grand epic in the Braveheart mold (which, incidentally, remains one of my favorite films of all time).
  12. Collateral - No one paid much attention to this move. They should have. Watching Jamie Foxx make the journey from dreamer to doer is inspirational.
  13. Silver Linings Playbook - A difficult romance between bipolar lovers may not sound like a lot of fun, but this movie draws laughs and tears in equal measure.
  14. The Grey - It's a testament to the power of this story that even though you know the men who have been stranded in the Alaska wilderness are likely to die, you still feel so much for them. While the audience left my screening complaining about the abrupt ending, I left wiping tears from my eyes.
  15. In Bruges - My highest ranked comedy was also not seen by many people. Like Collateral, it deserves more attention, though I admit the film's foreign-ness works against its acceptance here in the States.
  16. Prisoners - Dark disturbing, deeply layered, and demanding. See it with friends so that they can help you fill in the inevitable gaps in your comprehension. They stay up late discussing if Hugh Jackman acted properly to save his daughter or if, by making a prisoner of Paul Dano, he made a prisoner of himself.
  17. American Hustle - That's two David O. Russell films on this list. Russell is the master at maximizing his talented performers. He finds humor in the odd, bizarre, and broken. It makes his films charming without seeming trite.
  18. The Wrestler - As touching a movie as you'll find. Just a superlative performance by Rourke. The work he must have put in to get his body in shape for this film is difficult to imagine.
  19. Blood Diamond - Is it emotionally manipulative? Probably. In this case, I was successfully manipulated. You win this round, Ed Zwick.
  20. Inglourious Basterds - Returns to the top 25 after falling out last year. Has there been a more riveting opening scene in recent memory than Christoph Waltz congenially breaking down a kindhearted but totally overmatched farmer harboring Jewish refugees under his floorboards? How about a more cathartic scene than machine gunning Hitler into little bits?
  21. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - The least of the trilogy is still a fine film in its own right. Boo for dumbed-down Ents; yay for the Battle of Helm's Deep!
  22. Serenity - My lowest ranked top film of a year before 2011 (which placed no films on the top 25 at all). It won't show up on most film critics' top anything list, but then most film critics aren't as passionately in love with Firefly as I am.
  23. Pan's Labyrinth - Watching what Guillermo del Toro dreams up here makes me wonder what he would have done with The Hobbit.
  24. Memento - You could make a compelling argument that this amazingly told story is the best movie of the 2000s. Perhaps I saw it before I was ready, but I still recognize its genius.
  25. True Grit - An absolute pleasure to watch, True Grit actually makes me root for a comeback for the western genre. The melodic use of language, the gravelly voiced performance by Jeff Bridges and the stellar debut from young Hailee Steinfeld make True Grit a movie I'll look forward to seeing again.
Falling off the list: Shoot 'Em Up, Frost/Nixon, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Worst of the 2000s
  1. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Wins the award for most soulless cash-in on a beloved story. It's like Peter Jackson took a multi-million dollar dump on the legacy of J. R. R. Tolkien. How can this be the same director who made three of my top 25 films?
  2. Battlefield Earth - Of all the movies on this list, this one is easily the worst from a purely technical perspective. Film students will be studying this movie for years as an example of what not to do.
  3. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - The Phantom Menace already dragged my memories of the original trilogy through the mud. Now you're burying my memories neck-deep in dung.
  4. The Host - I hadn't walked out on a film in at least fifteen years before I walked out on The Host. Voiced inner monologues didn't work for Dune, and David Lynch is a far more talented director Andrew Niccol.
  5. Transformers - When one of these brain-dead mega-budget films gets made, how many smaller budget potential gems do we lose out on? I shudder to think.
  6. Battleship - Is it a coincidence that the two worst movies of the 2000s were based off of toys/games, designed essentially to shill merchandise?
  7. Four Lions - See my tirade from 2010. It's a testament to my hatred for this film that I lump it in with these big-budget shlock-fests. I probably hated my experience with Four Lions more than any of the other films on this list. Still, part of what goes into my determination of "worst" is expectations, and I expected less from Four Lions than these other films.
  8. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Someday, we will swear to our kids that this was really a movie. And they won't believe us, because the world will be a less stupid place then.
  9. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - The film that entered "nuke the fridge" into the vernacular deserves a special place in Hell.
  10. A Good Day to Die Hard - It's getting harder and harder to remember that Die Hard is perhaps the quintessential modern action film. Whatever happened to John McClaine the Everyman?
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#88 Post by John »

Top 10 Films to Anticipate in 2014
  • The Monuments Men (February 7)
    • Logline: An unlikely World War II platoon are tasked to rescue art masterpieces from Nazi thieves and return them to their owners.
    • Making it's second appearance on this list. George Clooney directs and leads an all-star cast that had people talking about Oscar chances before it moved off it's original Christmas, 2013 release date.
  • Enemy (March 14)
    • Logline: A man seeks out his exact look-alike after spotting him in a movie.
    • After Prisoners knocked my socks off, I'm ready to see director Denis Villeneuve's next work.
  • The Raid 2 (March 28)
    • Logline: Only a short time after the first raid, Rama goes undercover with the thugs of Jakarta and plans to bring down the syndicate and uncover the corruption within his police force.
    • How could I not be anticipating the sequel to the best pure action film of the 2000s? Heck, I'm anticipating it so much that this is its second straight year on the list!
  • Transcendence (April 18)
    • Logline: A terminally ill scientist downloads his mind into a computer. This grants him power beyond his wildest dreams, and soon he becomes unstoppable.
    • Christopher Nolan's cinematographer Wally Pfister makes his directorial debut with an intriguing-sounding original work of science fiction.
  • Jupiter Ascending (July 18)
    • Logline: A young destitute human woman gets targeted for assassination by the Queen of the Universe, and begins her destiny to end the Queen's reign.
    • A lot of people have this pegged as a prime bomb candidate. They're probably the same people who hated on Cloud Atlas. I loved that crazy movie and I'm giving the Wachowskis the benefit of the doubt here.
  • Gone Girl (October 3)
    • Logline: A woman mysteriously disappears on the day of her wedding anniversary.
    • The book is on my "to-read" list and I trust David Fincher, so I'm down for this one.
  • Interstellar (November 7)
    • Logline: A group of explorers make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage.
    • Original science fiction from Christopher Nolan? Say no more. My #1 most anticipated film of the year.
  • Fury (November 14)
    • Logline: April, 1945. A battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy commands a Sherman tank and her five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Wardaddy and his men face odds in their attempts to strike at Nazi Germany.
    • I love the idea of a World War II film from the perspective of a tank crew. Brad Pitt is a solid actor and David Ayer is a fine writer/director, making this a likely winner.
  • How to Catch a Monster (Release date TBD)
    • Logline: A single mother is swept into a dark underworld, while her teenage son discovers a road that leads him to a secret underwater town.
      It wouldn't be a Most Anticipated list with a little Ryan Gosling. This time, the Gos is on with a twist: instead of staring, he's writing and directing. I love the far-out premise and I'm insanely eager to see Gosling's directorial debut.
  • Snowpiercer (Release date TBD)
    • Logline: In a future where a failed global-warming experiment kills off most life on the planet, a class system evolves aboard the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe via a perpetual-motion engine.
      It's a hit amongst those who have seen the original Korean release. The big question is whether Harvey "Scissorhands" Weinstein will cut the film up for us dumb American hicks who can't appreciate a complex, layered film. Here's hoping we get Joon-ho Bong's original version (though that's starting to look unlikely).
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#89 Post by Arroyos »

It's always a treat to read John's "Best of ..." film lists because (1) he sees so many more films than I do, and (2) we don't seem to see any of the same films. Talk about divergent tastes!

Just for the fun of it I compiled my own list of the 10 best films of the 21st C. My only criteria were how vividly I remembered them and how often I think back on them:

10. Sideways
9. Before Sunset
8. Lost in Translation
7. Once
6. Little Miss Sunshine

5. Moneyball (Not fair, I know, because I think about it all the time, but only because it's the best baseball movie in years.)

4. Amélie (I see lots of foreign films, prefer them by far to Hollywood stuff, but this is the only one I keep thinking about.)

3. Midnight in Paris (Woody Allen's portrait of 20s Paris comes up in class discussions repeatedly.)

2. A Late Quartet (I admire this film as a writer and actor. It's inspirational.)

1. Memento (Though I've seen it a half dozen times, showed it to classes, analyzed its structure with other playwrights, the film continues to fascinate me. I am never bored. I wish I'd written it.)
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#90 Post by John »

We see different movies, Bob, because you have something people like to call "taste," a quality I find myself utterly bereft of. Well, that's not being entirely fair. I suppose I have "taste"; it's just really, really bad. :P

Your top 10 for the 2000s, Bob, features some widely acclaimed fare. I am ashamed to admit that I haven't seen a single Alexander Payne film, but I have heard great things about Sideways. Before Sunset is one I have been wanting to see. Did you see the whole "Before trilogy," Bob? What did you think?

Little Miss Sunshine, I did see. I didn't really love it; I found it a bit too caustic for chuckles. Actually, it was because of my experience with that movie that I harbored concerns over Michael Arndt penning the new Star Wars movie (guess I don't need to worry about that anymore).

Moneyball, on the other hand, I love. It doesn't seem to get a ton of love in comparison to more "jock-ish" baseball movies, but I found it clever and I liked Pitt as Billy Beane. And of course, I'm totally with you on Memento, as evidenced by its placement on my top 25 list. Boy, you said it, Bob ... if only I could have written that. Honestly, though, I doubt I would have been able to pull that clever and idea together if I was given years to work on it.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”