Draft Pool Released

Alan Ehlers

Draft Pool Released

#1 Post by Alan Ehlers »

I do not know if anyone noticed but the draft pool was released and everyone should look at Avery Parkinson. He looks like the second coming of Markus Hancock and should go number 1. My scouts love him and if Yuma takes him he is the type of player that could turn the franchise around like Hancock did for Tempe. Actually that would be a good article if people stated what major moves ort events turned their team around or made their team drop like a stone
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Draft Pool Released

#2 Post by Denny »

That's weird....my scout actually likes Dave Barker slightly better than Parkinson. I wonder which one is right?
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

Codgers wrote:That's weird....my scout actually likes Dave Barker slightly better than Parkinson. I wonder which one is right?
And this, in a nutshell, is what makes playing with scouts on so much fun. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Matt
VIP
VIP

#4 Post by Matt »

I remember people commenting at the time that there were a pitcher or two that they liked better than Hancock. Those scouts should have been fired. And drug tested.
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by klewis »

I remember last draft was the year of the catcher. I also saw a lot of SPs in last draft too. This draft I think is pretty balanced with a lot of depth at middle relief. I am guessing though since we are using feeders.... a lot of these relievers were created under the old OOTP9 system. Hence why we see many relievers with low stamina. It would be interesting if some of these relievers in the draft had decent stamina with only 2 pitches (so you can gamble that he develops a third pitch). It has been noted that stamina 3 is good enough for a starter. But personally, I prefer higher stamina as a preference.

I'm interested to see how PEBA GMs draft in terms of relief pitchers. Would you draft a reliever as high as the 1st round? Having 2 PEBA drafts under my belt, I do see that GMs tend to avoid drafting 1B sluggers early unless they are just flat out offensive machines. Corner outfielders tend to get passed up too.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Reg »

I would draft a relief pitcher in the first round, but so far I have been at the bottom of the round, so its not so much of a reach...
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Matt
VIP
VIP

#7 Post by Matt »

Best name of the draft, so far anyway, not done looking...

Jose "Vapor Lock" Martinez. His intelligence is rated at a 3.
Sandgnats (Bill)

#8 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

There are potential rating pitchers like Parkinson every single year in the draft.
He is not even comparable to Markus Hancock.

Hancock had exceptional control coming into the draft and already had great current ratings coming into the draft. Parkinson has decent ratings for a draftee, but he hasn't pitched 1 game to hitters above high school players. Parkinson basically has an awesome fastball right now and that's it. Hancock again, was much more refined when he was drafted and had a higher ceiling. Additionally Hancock improved over time and pitched his best his senior year at college and Parkinson's ratio has declined significantly in 2010 and 2011. I think Hancock was a once in a decade kind of guy and Avery Parkinson will end up being a 6-6-6 rating SP. Decent, but not even close to the talent level of Markus Hancock IMO.

There is a pretty substantial gap in my opinion between high school draftees and college draftees reaching their potential. The longer you take to reach your potential, the greater your chance of not getting there. Parkinson does have a work ethic of 10, which is obviously great! But most of his potential stardom will come to being via good coaches in my opinion. If he gets drafted by an organization like Aurora, then he has a much better chance to succeed in the future than if say Yuma drafted Parkinson.

No offense to Yuma, but I'm not sure if I would want Yuma's ML hitting coach on my SS-A team! I mean Yuma has 7 vacant coaching positions at the moment and the coaching talent in the organization is a complete disaster as a whole right now.

I know you won't believe me, but Yuma has only one coach right now with ANY RATINGS above 5 combined between SS-A, Hi-A, AA, & AAA!!!! :shock: That is simply tragic and a complete waste of good draft picks if you ask me.

The one thing Avery 'Numbers' Parkinson has over Markus Hancock is that he's a switch hitter. :lol:
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

Sandgnats (Bill) wrote:There are potential rating pitchers like Parkinson every single year in the draft.
He is not even comparable to Markus Hancock.

Hancock had exceptional control coming into the draft and already had great current ratings coming into the draft. Parkinson has decent ratings for a draftee, but he hasn't pitched 1 game to hitters above high school players. Parkinson basically has an awesome fastball right now and that's it. Hancock again, was much more refined when he was drafted and had a higher ceiling. Additionally Hancock improved over time and pitched his best his senior year at college and Parkinson's ratio has declined significantly in 2010 and 2011. I think Hancock was a once in a decade kind of guy and Avery Parkinson will end up being a 6-6-6 rating SP. Decent, but not even close to the talent level of Markus Hancock IMO.

There is a pretty substantial gap in my opinion between high school draftees and college draftees reaching their potential. The longer you take to reach your potential, the greater your chance of not getting there. Parkinson does have a work ethic of 10, which is obviously great! But most of his potential stardom will come to being via good coaches in my opinion. If he gets drafted by an organization like Aurora, then he has a much better chance to succeed in the future than if say Yuma drafted Parkinson.
It remains to be seen if you're correct, but I found this to be an excellent analysis on your part, Bill. Now I'm inspired to watch Parkinson more closely to see how he stacks up.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by klewis »

I barely took a look at this draft this morning. My initial reaction (literally like a 30 second glance) is that this draft has good depth but not many true mega super duper stars out there.

I was watching ESPN and they were talking about NFL early round busts. One of the analysts... I think it was Trent Dilfer says that he believes every early pick has talent and can definitely play in the league. The point is that not all these chosen players are in the proper systems with good structure to help them maximize and realize their talents.

He goes on to say a player chosen in the top 10 has to have some kind of talent. There's no way a GM or scout would pick a stiff. They obviously put up great numbers during their college days. But there's a reason why players drafted by New England seem to do well while Cleveland and Detroit players tend to be lost in the shuffle. Anyway, interesting thing I thought of when Bill mentioned Aurora.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Alan Ehlers

#11 Post by Alan Ehlers »

There will never be another Hancock, well maybe once in twenty years. He is the best pitcher PEBA will ever see and he is not even 25 yet. He turned my franchise around and we will give him anything he wants to stay in Tempe for his entire career. He is the only player on my team that I will never trade and he makes Tempe respectable every year. If it was not for Hancock,Tempe would be in shambles he literally saved the franchise.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Tyler »

Knights wrote:If it was not for Hancock,Tempe would be in shambles he literally saved the franchise.
This is the second piece of fantastic analysis in this thread, I'd say. 8)
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Sandgnats (Bill)

#13 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Knights wrote:There will never be another Hancock, well maybe once in twenty years. He is the best pitcher PEBA will ever see and he is not even 25 yet. He turned my franchise around and we will give him anything he wants to stay in Tempe for his entire career. He is the only player on my team that I will never trade and he makes Tempe respectable every year. If it was not for Hancock,Tempe would be in shambles he literally saved the franchise.
I can't tell Chris, do you like him or what? Stop sitting on the fence!! :lol:

Keep in mind, before you sign him to some $100 M deal, in game we're only 19 months away from the end of the world(12/21/2012). Since OOTP is so detailed and complex, I'm sure Markus built that doomsday scenario into the game. :grin:

Hmmmm :-? I guess that changes everyone's plan to a current 2 year plan, now doesn't it? :lol: :lol:
Matt
VIP
VIP

#14 Post by Matt »

I second almost everything Bill says. Hancock had a control rated around 7 when he came out of the draft, which is already PEBA level. No pitcher has even come close to that in any draft before or since. His other ratings were around 4's I believe. Those were his CURRENT ratings at the time of the draft. He was nearly PEBA ready on draft day. If you go dig up some old threads, I think you can find me say before hand that there was absolutely no way he could not be the #1 pick.

Parkinson is high school pitcher. Scouts have less of a read on a player the younger they are. I actually think backwards with HS pitchers. One rated super great by a scout is likely to come down quite a bit in ratings before ever making the show, while a pitcher with lower ratings will have a much better chance to increase his ratings as years go by.

The scouts are going to have a better read on the college players. When two players are rated similiarly, your safer bet will be the college player. In Parkinson's case, being a HS pitcher, there are at least a handful of college pitchers I would probably take before him. (If I ever held onto a first rd pick, that is).

As for the coaching mess in few organizations, I second Bill's comments. It's not just Yuma. It almost makes the eyes sore to look at the coaching ranks of a few teams and thier minor league systems.
Last edited by Matt on Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#15 Post by Matt »

Keep in mind, before you sign him to some $100 M deal, in game we're only 19 months away from the end of the world(12/21/2012). Since OOTP is so detailed and complex, I'm sure Markus built that doomsday scenario into the game.
Actually, the 2012 doomsday scenario is another myth. 2012 is not the end of the Mayan calender, simply the end of a cycle. When the Mayan calender is fully understood, it shows any number of cycles which repeat continuously FOREVER. This is just something else the lunatic fringe has leapt onto. Like all the bs Nostrodamus crap, the year 2000, etc, etc, etc.

Yes, I went really off topic here, but there is nothing worse than a doomsday myth. Except the doomsday myths turned into movies. Or maybe some mythical "rapture", a recent invention (last 40 yrs or so) of christianity.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”