Rule V discussion

James Bowman

Re: Rule V discussion

#16 Post by James Bowman »

Steel Dragons wrote:There is no shame here, Kuwana took 4 rule five picks. I figured it wouldn't hurt to play them in spring training and see if maybe a change of scenery and playing time would help. Best case scenario... we get 4 solid role players to fill out the 5th starter, mop up man, power bat off the bench, platoon first baseman roles. If not they can just be released with no penalty. With little to no money things like the rule 5 draft and waiver wire become huge. Although there haven't quite been any jackpots here yet. :-[
I like your mentality, and to be honest, didn't really think about it that way. ;-D I suppose if anybody was just as good as your 25th man, which in my case is still up in the air, it could also create some healthy competition during ST. We had our eyes only on...
Calzones wrote:2b Kieth Eby, 24, San Antonio Calzones. We are ecstatic to get this guy. While we don't believe he will be a star, there are several things we like about him. While he scouts as fairly average in all categories, his power numbers at the minor league level suggest maybe the scouts are cutting him a bit short. With 239 games and 865 ab at the AAA level the last two seasons, posting a combined 37.9 vorp, we think Eby is fairly close to being ready to take a step forward. He is more of a natural 3b, what with the cannon arm and power stroke. Not sure how we will use him this season, but a tryout for the starting 3b job is not totally out of the question.
I agree with your assessment here, Matt. I was really excited at the possibility of drafting him. Eby was the sole player on my draft list. I'll look forward to his progress this season in the Dixie, good luck with him!

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”