The worst manager in baseball

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Matt
VIP
VIP

The worst manager in baseball

#1 Post by Matt »

For my money, it's new Reds manager Dusty Baker.

There is no manager in baseball better at ruining a pitchers arm, at least not right now. There have been some in the past who were really good at it, but right now, Baker is the king of broken pitchers.

Look at the trail of good young arms left in his wake. Go back to the Giants, with guys like Estes, Ortiz, and Nenn all breaking down. There were others as well.

Then in Chicago, where he had the young Prior and the fragile Wood go 2/3 in the league in number of pitches per start a couple of years ago. And then everyone wondered why they broke down the following year.

I pity Aaron Harang, Homer Bailey, and any other good young arm in the Reds system.
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#2 Post by Jason »

I do love to hate both Dusty Baker and the Reds but I feel that any discussion of the worst manager in baseball without mention of the White Sox Ozzie Guillen in an incomplete one. He is, without a doubt, one of the most annoying personalities assosciated with the game today. Combine that with his miniscule amount of actual baseball knowledge and the fact that Ken Harrelson seems to be of the opinion that Ozzie is God's gift to management in general and you have a completely unbearable package. Just tought I would add that... hope we don't have any Sox fans here.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#3 Post by Matt »

I'll be sure to get into my tirade about bad announcers and the seemingly endless collection of them in Chicago before long.....
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

Cyclones wrote:I do love to hate both Dusty Baker and the Reds but I feel that any discussion of the worst manager in baseball without mention of the White Sox Ozzie Guillen in an incomplete one. He is, without a doubt, one of the most annoying personalities assosciated with the game today. Combine that with his miniscule amount of actual baseball knowledge and the fact that Ken Harrelson seems to be of the opinion that Ozzie is God's gift to management in general and you have a completely unbearable package. Just tought I would add that... hope we don't have any Sox fans here.
+1

It's hard to find something bad about winning a World Series, but the fact that Guillen became cemented as "savior of the Sox" in the process was as damaging to the long-term health of the organization as anything could be. Let's just say the man has an inverse relation between deep statistical/strategical baseball knowledge and loads of hot air.

Speaking of hot air, someone please mute the Chicago radio "talent"...
Matt
VIP
VIP

#5 Post by Matt »

My favorite exchange between Ron Santo and his partner Pat last summer

Ron Santo "Awwwww No. Awwww gee. Awwwww he can't hit into a double play. Aw, gee whiz. Aw, he's killing the team. He can't hit into a double play here, he just can't, he just can't."

Pat "He just did Ron."
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Duane »

just an FYI ... Sandgnats GM is an avid SOX fan ... hates the Cubs and most large market organizations

I do like to see ribbing, keep up the awesome undertones.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

That's funny, he told me he was sorta a Sox fan but didn't really have a particular team he rooted for. I'd like to see him show his face here and declare his love for Ozzie... the Indians fans in attendance would have something to say about that! :grin:
Matt
VIP
VIP

#8 Post by Matt »

I have nothing against either of the Chicago teams, rather nuetral there. Just both teams have a long history of having absolutely the worst radio and TV talent imaginable. Starting with that drunken, drooling fool who the Cubs fans adored, (thankfully deceased, I had way too much of that idiot). Then you have Ron Santo, the idiot savant. Would someone just get this guy his toothpicks and maple syrup already?
Then you have Ken Harrelson, the only thing I want to do with a board when I watch a White Sox game is beat a certain announcer around his head with it. Then there is Farmer over on the White Sox radio broadcasts. I'm a fairly well adjusted person, the only thoughts of suicide I have ever had is when I listen to Farmer. After 3 innings of that guy and I'm sucking on the cold steel barrel.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#9 Post by Matt »

Any Reds fans here? Better yet, do Reds fans even exist?

Someone who shares at least some of my opinion on Dusty.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=j ... &type=lgns

fwiw, if you happen to get stuck with any Reds pitchers in a fantasy draft, hope they get off to a fast start and then deal them to some unsuspecting sap who is totally unaware that their arms will be falling off in August.
Badgers

#10 Post by Badgers »

Calzones wrote:Any Reds fans here? Better yet, do Reds fans even exist?

Someone who shares at least some of my opinion on Dusty.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=j ... &type=lgns

fwiw, if you happen to get stuck with any Reds pitchers in a fantasy draft, hope they get off to a fast start and then deal them to some unsuspecting sap who is totally unaware that their arms will be falling off in August.
That happened to Arroyo last year right?
Matt
VIP
VIP

#11 Post by Matt »

Well, whatever happened last year can't be blamed on Baker, though I would love to give him all the discredit he deserves.

I just know that having followed the Giants for so long, then watching him trash more pitchers in Chicago, the track record is not good. I haven't seen a manager this bad at managing young pitchers arms since Davey Johnson.

Homer Bailey might be the great hope now, but within 3 to 4 years the most likely place you'll find him and his tattered arm is on the back of a milk carton.
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#12 Post by Apollos »

OK - John here I am. Baker was brought in to manage the Cubs and control Sammy Sosa. He did that as well as he handled Bonds which is to say he did nothing. My gripe against him will be his mismangement in the series that cost our Cubs a chance at the world series.

For Ozzie, I will always remember the way he gently grabbed Bobby Jenks face after he blew that post season save. He was fatherly and it kept Jenks confident through the Sox championship series. Ozzie did a great job that season and was if for only one season a great manager. The Sox have been frustrating the last 2 years and Ozzie has deflected much criticism from GM Williams and the team to himself. I think there are enough issues to go around the Sox front office.

I am a Chicago fan first. I do not hate the Cubs and regular attend games each year and watch on TV. I do not like the Cub fans who hate the Sox and regular hurl insults. I have been know to comment back when this occurs which I think is why Duane has this opinion of me.
Badgers

#13 Post by Badgers »

Hawk = :evil:
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#14 Post by Apollos »

Hawk is OK. I really miss Rooney though. Farmer kind of grows on you after awhile.

Ron Santo is the guy I get a charge out of. "The way to break this losing streak is to win"

OK then! :grin:
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#15 Post by Coqui »

I despise Baker as well but to expect a collapse of Reds pitching this year is not quite on target. Based on his track record, Baker will overuse his pitching this year, leading to a breakdown next year. Most of the young pitchers he has last one year before the inevitable arm injury. Prior and Estes are perfect examples of this.

And I hate the Reds.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”