Trade deadline observations

Matt
VIP
VIP

Trade deadline observations

#1 Post by Matt »

Just observations and opinions, I could be dead wrong.

In the IL, surprised by a couple of things. Gloucester and New Orleans seem very quiet, despite the fact that both are very much in the race. With the Calzones pitching staff being held together by duct tape, bubble gum, and that stuff they fill twinkies with, both teams have legitimate shots at the playoffs. On the other side, NJ has hinted they have thrown in the towel, and that is a bit surprising because they have talent over there. It's just underperformed a bit to this point. Nothing a little tweek here or there might not fix, with a little pep talk from the Don for good measure. The three teams who are playoff locks seem quiet, but if it's not broken why fix it. Kentucky is building from within so not surprised by their quietness at this point. I know Connecticut is out there talking and looking, but hasn't found what they are looking for. West Virginia is in rebuild mode and with the talent on the way in their system there is no need to make a move at this point. Manchester gave up the ghost a while back and seems to be headed down the rebuild road, they've been fairly active to this point and some additional activity would not surprise. Tend to think Arlington may be in a bit of a re-tool mode, but they have surprisingly quiet to this point considering they have some marketable players.

I have a little less read on what's happening on the SL side of things, but here's my casual observations. Not a whole lot of need for Aurora to do much, but wouldn't be surprised by a tweak or two that puts them in even better position for the future. Palm Springs makes a habit of pulling off at least one last minute move minutes before the deadline, so would not be too surprised if they swooped in and scooped up an extra piece for the playoff push late. Bakersfield is out there talking, and has made one minor move that has more of an eye towards the future. But after a slow start they are playing better and should not be too worried about making the playoffs. No need to fix what's really not broken. Tempe is looking to make moves, but handcuffed financially they are limited. Still, props for fighting and clawing. It's David against about 4 Goliaths for Tempe, but he's stubborn enough to not quit despite the odds stacked against him (and that's a compliment!!). Reno has been a little quiet to this point, and not sure they are going to get involved at this point. They seem to be in a patient rebuild mode and still working their way out of the disaster that was the previous ownership.

Is Yuma still in the league? I never hear anything from them. But with a solid lock on that first overall pick, why jeopordize that with moves now and potentially screw up a good thing.

Crystal Lake has been quiet to this point, but wouldnt be surprised if they got into a little last minute action if they saw something they liked being marketed. Fargo has too much talent within it's organization to get rushed at this point. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. Or so I've been told. Canton might be willing to move a few pieces to save a few bucks and to work on their rebuilding job. Haven't seen or heard anything from Omaha or Kalamazoo to this point, both fell too far back to be players this year, and standing pat at the deadline might be their best moves. Duluth has been a bit active, after a brief run they had their hopes dashed and appear to have gone into a full rebuild mode. Wouldn't be surprised if they pulled off another move or three before the deadline.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trade deadline observations

#2 Post by John »

You've got the read right on Aurora, at least. If we can add a piece for the future, we'll make a move. Otherwise we'll stand pat. The big league roster is finally starting to get healthy (knock on wood). Getting back all those guys from the DL is sort of like a trade unto itself.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by klewis »

Florida would like to add a frontline starter or another bonafide hitter. But we're passive at the moment due to some circumstances such as a limited budget. I know some other teams are in a similar boat.... more to be revealed in an article later :wink:
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Hitmen »

NJ hasn't tossed in the towel, just wanted to see what was out there. Not one offer.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Maulers »

You've certainly got Manchester right, Matt. We're always looking, so I also wouldn't be surprised if we make a couple of more moves before the deadline.
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Matt
VIP
VIP

#6 Post by Matt »

Hitmen wrote:NJ hasn't tossed in the towel, just wanted to see what was out there. Not one offer.
Like I said, I could be wrong. I had a bad read there. :grin:
Alan Ehlers

#7 Post by Alan Ehlers »

Still, props for fighting and clawing. It's David against about 4 Goliaths for Tempe, but he's stubborn enough to not quit despite the odds stacked against him (and that's a compliment!!).

Dont worry I know it was, you are right about Tempe, I am handcuffed by finances but also on my ability to play on the road, in August I am on the road for the majority of t and I am afraid to sacrifice too much if I collapse on the road and do not make the playoffs. I am debating on what to do before the deadline. I think my pitching is steller, but my offense blows, should I make a move to get a slugger?, but I already have a bunch of guys who strike out too much. I might just stick with what I got and hope for the best, and my best is at least .500 record for the year.
Steel Dragons

#8 Post by Steel Dragons »

The San Antonio club house manager is going to run out of letters and numbers to sew on the jerseys soon :)
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Duane »

That's what they use the Codgers for :lol: :lol: :lol:
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Matt
VIP
VIP

#10 Post by Matt »

Steel Dragons wrote:The San Antonio club house manager is going to run out of letters and numbers to sew on the jerseys soon :)

Velcro. ;-D
Sandgnats (Bill)

#11 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Calzones wrote:
Steel Dragons wrote:The San Antonio club house manager is going to run out of letters and numbers to sew on the jerseys soon :)

Velcro. ;-D
I love Matt(SA) in a baseball kinda way! I love his cander, honesty, and he wouldn't ever be confused with somebody that pulls punches. Let's rid ourselves of the sugar coated crap and communicate as Matt does worldwide!

But, before we introduce MGI (Matt Global Initiative), we need to address one little problem....
Some people love chocolate, some people are addicted to movies. Many are addicted to fitness and others to their favorite sport! Well, San Antonio's GM has an addiction to trading baseball players as if he was a kid again and he was dealing baseball cards. I have no doubt that MGI will grow tremendously and inturn the resource stockpile will accumulate sufficiently to end world hunger and put a computer and a copy of OOTP in every household worldwide!

What I'm afraid of is that once Matt obtains the resources, his uncontrolable addiction will show it's teeth and drive him towards something destructive. Something horrible and unfathomably terrifying could actually occur from a bounty of resources in Matt's hands. You see the resources would be extended worldwide, thus eliminating the need to trade those resources. Matt would then be forced to focus his attention on his Calzones of Laredo.

Imagine the horror if any of the following actually came to fruition:
- Matt's Calzones of Laredo would sign a player to a 3 year contract and that player ended his contract in a Calzones uniform!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh, no the horror :cry:
- San Antonio drafted a player in the 2011 amatuer draft and watched him develop and reach the ML squad without being traded! :-?
- This next one might be a little much for the youngins out there, so please ask them to leave the room if they're nearby. With Matt's impetus now focused on the Calzones of Laredo and their success, his organization may go through a trade deadline without making a move!!!!! :-P :-P

Now, that would be something! :grin:

By the way, if any of you are interested in the movie rights, I am available on yahoo at stupidwhiteboywithderangedsenseofhumorespeciallywhenitcomestobaseball.

Have a great sim(except for our opponenets tonight of course)!!
Paul Moots

#12 Post by Paul Moots »

We will see how this sim goes. If it goes well we might be buying. If it goes poorly, we're selling.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#13 Post by Matt »

- Matt's Calzones of Laredo would sign a player to a 3 year contract and that player ended his contract in a Calzones uniform!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh, no the horror
- San Antonio drafted a player in the 2011 amatuer draft and watched him develop and reach the ML squad without being traded!
- This next one might be a little much for the youngins out there, so please ask them to leave the room if they're nearby. With Matt's impetus now focused on the Calzones of Laredo and their success, his organization may go through a trade deadline without making a move!!!!!
Heretic.
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by klewis »

The trading deadline is over! I wish I could at least acquired one more piece but oh well what can you do?

Only thing I wish I could have done more differently is perhaps make an aggressive move for Orlando Garcia or Michael Kelly a few sims back. Or if I wanted to go way back, I should have tried to get Anastasio Molina when he was available a season ago.

I don't know if it's just my perception but it appears this year there was less big names moving around? All I remember was Tyler's fire sale where every starting pitcher was basically traded away heh.

Anyone else kicking themselves for not making a particular move or disappointed that they couldn't get one done? Good luck to everyone the rest of the way!
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”