League Standings Graphs

Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

League Standings Graphs

#1 Post by Tyler »

Here's a treat for everybody - league standings graphs!

Graphs for the 2007 season are complete.
Look for the 2008 graphs coming soon to a new thread.

The x-axis is the day; the y-axis is games above/below .500. It's a great way to follow pennant races over the course of the season. :grin:
Last edited by Tyler on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#2 Post by Denny »

Wow, those are pretty cool. They really bring out the intensity of the struggles in the Dixie and Desert Hills divisions.

How were you able to get all the day-to-day data? Did you have to just manually look through each day's results? :-o
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Tyler »

Codgers wrote:Wow, those are pretty cool. They really bring out the intensity of the struggles in the Dixie and Desert Hills divisions.

How were you able to get all the day-to-day data? Did you have to just manually look through each day's results? :-o
Yeah. That's why I can't do these every sim. I used to graph real baseball like this by hand, but then I realized I should just use Excel. I'm trying to find a league report section that will let it create the graph automatically. Until then, I'll just be old-fashioned. :lol:
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

Tyler, this is beyond awesome. I will work to get these up on the front page right away. Once again you guys have amazed me by going the extra mile. Don't think this kind of thing isn't getting noted; I may be late with it, but the new CP system is almost ready and every contribution like this is being jotted down for reference. No good deed will go unrewarded! :grin:
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Tyler »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:Tyler, this is beyond awesome. I will work to get these up on the front page right away. Once again you guys have amazed me by going the extra mile. Don't think this kind of thing isn't getting noted; I may be late with it, but the new CP system is almost ready and every contribution like this is being jotted down for reference. No good deed will go unrewarded! :grin:
Many thanks for your kind words. I guess kind of my definition I love geeky stuff like this (I am playing OOTP, after all :grin: ), but I love making these graphs. I have two books from the 1970s that were self-published by a Red Sox fan living in Milwaukee. I found them at a flea market. They're full of great ideas like this; I can't remember the author's name, but I don't want to take credit for the idea. :P

Let me know if you want a certain size for the homepage - I make these in Excel and can scale them to any dimensions.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by John »

I ended up sizing the graphs at 590x315, which fits nicely on the front page. You'll also notice your trading card page got a plug... as I said, no good deed goes unrewarded! :)

It's amazing the kinds of cool baseball things you find like that in out of the way flea markets and such. That's how Bill James got his start: self-publishing his "dorky" theories. His got noticed, bit other deserving baseball minds likely never did. Those books are a pretty sweet find on your part.

I wonder what other kinds of things would make good ideas for Excel graphs like this? If you shoot me a few ideas and let me know how you make them, I'd definitely consider doing my own series.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Tyler »

Graphs have been updated as of Monday's sim, real-date 1/14/08.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by John »

I've updated the graphs and put them as the lead story on the front page. Thanks so much for making these up! Boy, the Desert Hills division has been a dogfight since Opening Day, and Dixie is almost as competitive. In the other divisions some teams will have to step things up to avoid it becoming a two-horse race...
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Tyler »

I just want to remind everybody that games back is equal to half of the difference of games above/under .500. That means if there's a 6-game difference between you and first place, you're only 3 games back. If you're scared by a lot of white space between you and another team, remember, it's really only have of that. :D
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Tyler »

Graphs are being updated.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Tyler »

Graphs current as of 1/21/08.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Tyler »

They're coming. :shock:

I'm in the process of updating the standings graphs to be current as of yesterday's sim, game date 7/24/07, real date 2/18/08.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Tyler »

The Dixie Division has been updated.

The fiercest battle seems to be for last place - Florida and Kentucky having been trading places for about a month. :P
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by John »

Coal Sox wrote:They're coming. :shock:

I'm in the process of updating the standings graphs to be current as of yesterday's sim, game date 7/24/07, real date 2/18/08.
I'm not sure I want to see the latest Desert Hills graph... !+) :-{ :*)
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Duane »

at least I am in some battle ... it may be the 'undercard' on fight night but I am there giving it all my pennies. I will not come out unscarred this I can promise you. Look for Dan 'The Animal' Hankins and newly aquired Hashimoto leading the charge (they have to, none of the position guys will)
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!

Return to “League News and Articles”