Post draft thoughts

Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Post draft thoughts

#16 Post by Nigel »

I'm disappointed that I had to miss the first few rounds, but I'm happy with who I took. Kentucky made a great choice in Edgar Valentin as his last pick in the 3-5 bracket I think. It was much easier for him to take the injured player when he had two other very high picks as insurance. I wondered who would take the gamble with him. I figured he was too talented to drop very far, even if he would have to sit until next year.

Unlike my scout, who only had two pitchers above one star potential, I really thought there were at least a dozen very solid starting pitchers up at the top of the draft. Hiroyuki Nii was a guy I was targeting and was very happy dropped to me in that spot. I set my list up so that most likely I was taking a pitcher in the first round. Of the position players, my scout loved Leslie McDonald and Chris Long above all others and they went very high, so some other scouts had the same ideas.

During most of the first day it felt like everyone I was targeting was getting taken a few picks in front of me, which was a little frustrating. Through two drafts now, I do think there are a few GM's that tend to go after the same players I am looking at, so I definitely am picking up on some tendencies there. I don't really know how I feel about some of the guys I took later on. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how these guys develop.

Overall, it is always a fun process and I know it's a tough few days for John, but I think everyone appreciates the hard work that goes into it and makes it fun for everyone.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Tyler »

I don't have my thoughts collected into anything worth reading, but I wanted to say that I have enjoy reading over everyone else's takes on the draft. It has been quite interesting. :-?
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by klewis »

I really like Nii too. All the pitchers that went mid-1st round had very good historic performances. So hopefully that translates the same at the big league level. After the two Lewis pitchers and Spud Jones, all the pitchers looked the same to me.
Underground wrote:I'm disappointed that I had to miss the first few rounds, but I'm happy with who I took. Kentucky made a great choice in Edgar Valentin as his last pick in the 3-5 bracket I think. It was much easier for him to take the injured player when he had two other very high picks as insurance. I wondered who would take the gamble with him. I figured he was too talented to drop very far, even if he would have to sit until next year.

Unlike my scout, who only had two pitchers above one star potential, I really thought there were at least a dozen very solid starting pitchers up at the top of the draft. Hiroyuki Nii was a guy I was targeting and was very happy dropped to me in that spot. I set my list up so that most likely I was taking a pitcher in the first round. Of the position players, my scout loved Leslie McDonald and Chris Long above all others and they went very high, so some other scouts had the same ideas.

During most of the first day it felt like everyone I was targeting was getting taken a few picks in front of me, which was a little frustrating. Through two drafts now, I do think there are a few GM's that tend to go after the same players I am looking at, so I definitely am picking up on some tendencies there. I don't really know how I feel about some of the guys I took later on. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how these guys develop.

Overall, it is always a fun process and I know it's a tough few days for John, but I think everyone appreciates the hard work that goes into it and makes it fun for everyone.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”