My first Cubs Game

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

My first Cubs Game

#1 Post by Reg »

Well I officially attend my very first cubs game, getting to see Wrigley was fun, but not being a fan of either team playing the game was only soso...Lee hit a grand slam...and Greg Maddux and Fergie Jenkins (whose numbers were retired in a ceremony today) led the seventh inning stretch...that makes 2 major league ballparks I have now been to.....Go Rangers.... :grin:
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

Re: My first Cubs Game

#2 Post by Apollos »

This will come out wrong and it's not a slap on the Cubs, but how did you like the way the place smells - lol. I go a couple times a year and I prefer the newer parks. Wrigley really needs to be rebuilt. The shrine mentality is now well founded (I haven't been to Fenway yet). Other than the closeness to the field for the upper deck it is not a very nice place to see a game.

Milwaukee is special. San Fran and St Louis are very nice.
I drove around the park in Cincy - much better than the old sterile park they use to play in.
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Tyler »

I got to see a game at Wrigley during the 2007 season - a summer weekday game (could it be any other?) against the Diamondbacks. I was about 30 rows back of the Cubs dugout, fortunately placed between two pillars that create obstructed viewing. I loved the atmosphere of the park, and since I was technically in season ticket holder seats the fans were of a quite reasonable quality. I loved it - but you certainly don't want to spend any time inside the park that's not in your seat. :-x
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#4 Post by Apollos »

Yes- the site lines are not as good as the new parks. The seats don't face the right direction either. Also, people must have had smaller builds because the seats seem smaller to me (or my butt is bigger than I think it is.

One of the other things I love about the new parks is being able to view the game while you are buying concessions. Definitely a negative in the old style parks
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by DanD »

Was that the game where Big-Z drag bunted successfully, but then hurt his hamstring?

I'm a major baseball fanatic but I'm sad to say that my sister (who is a casual fan and roots for her local Cubs :-) ) has been to more major league park's than I have. :-( I've been to The Jake (I can still call it that, right?) and in a few weeks I'll be taking a trip with some friends to NY to check out the new Yankee Stadium. I think we'll be even after that.

Has anyone been to Petco? I hear that park is beautiful.
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#6 Post by Apollos »

Actually I was in Petco 2 summers ago. It's not a bad place - expensive though. The food is not as good as the stadiums in the midwest either. I thouht the Stadium was OK. The weather is beautiful and there are no bugs which is nice for an evening game.
I think San Francisco was much nicer. More beautiful as well.

Those are my 2 west coast parks that I visited
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Reg »

Bureaucrats wrote:Was that the game where Big-Z drag bunted successfully, but then hurt his hamstring?
yep, but the bunt started an inning that eventually led the Lee Grand slam so it was bad news good news type of deal

I didn't notice a smell...but I did sit in the upper deck which had a great view, yeah not much to look at the park besides the field though....

my wife was sad they didn't have a jumbotron....the old timey score board was too low tech for her...
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#8 Post by Zephyrs »

Saw this post and made me think of these questions---what are all of the ballparks you guys have been to? and what are the ones you wanna see most?

I've only been to KC and TEX(went to the Astrodome back in the day)

Most want to see Wrigley & Fenway(of the old ones), probably SF and SEA of the newer ones
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Tyler »

I've only been to four parks, and I always forget Busch Stadium. Make of that what you will :-S
  • Jacobs Field - countless times. Go Tribe!
  • Tiger Stadium - I went in its last year, and was juuuuuust too young to fully appreciate the experience
  • Wrigley Field - see above
  • Busch Stadium II - got to see Mark McGwire play in 2000. It was cool at the time. :wink:
I'd really like to catch a game at
  • PNC Park - heard nothing but good things about it, and I love the city of Pittsburgh.
  • Fenway Park - for obvious reasons.
  • Great American Ballpark - I've lived in Ohio all my life and never been to a home Reds game, and it just seems like something I should do.
  • Busch Stadium III - the park looks incredible, and I would give my firstborn son to see Pujols play in person.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Matt
VIP
VIP

#10 Post by Matt »

Been to:

Milwaukee County
Veterans Stadium
Shea Stadium
Candlestick
Fenway Park
Jack Murphy
Kingdome
Dodger Stadium
Oakland Coliseum
Pac Bell

I'm probably forgetting one or two, it's late

Not planning on driving a truck too much longer, so hoping to see a few parks this year. There are a few near people I know, so it should work out to see some of them. Philadelphia, Safeco Field, Jacobs, PNC, and the Great American Bandbox are on my list. Hoping to see Kauffman as well. And any others I get near with extra time. Wrigley would be on my wish list.

Parks I wish I had been to before they closed, even just once.
Memorial Stadium Baltimore
Tiger Stadium
Comiskey

No regrets on Yankee Stadium. May it burn in hell.
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Zephyrs »

Calzones wrote:
No regrets on Yankee Stadium. May it burn in hell.
I second that motion
Joined September 2010
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#12 Post by Apollos »

I have been to:
Chgo - Comiskey. It might have been a palace in its day but I was glad it was replaced. I do miss one thing though. They had a concession area called the Smoke Pit where they would hand carve hot corn beef or ham for sandwiches - yumo!
Chgo - Cellular. Very nice on the lower concourse. Great score board and fireworks after the game
Chgo - Wrigley. My least favorite. No replays, blocked views, cannot see the game if you have to get up to buy concessions. The place smells bad.

Milw - Old Miller. It was kind of charming. It looked like a bunch of metal workers got together on their day off to create the place. I was there for Robin Yount day.
Milw - Miller. The best of the midwest. Spectacular park.
StL - old Busch. It was OK. The stands could be swung out to square the field for the football games. Dual use stadiums usually are not as nice.
StL - Busch - Nice look. Good site lines. The park is in the historic part of the city within a few blocks of the arch.
Cincy - the old park. Looked like something the old Soviet Union might have built. Sterile with lots of concrete.
Col - Coors. Beautiful view of the mountains.
SD - Petco. As pleasant an evening as you can get.
SF - ATT. This is a neat park. On the bay. It's beautiful. There is a place in the wall where you can look in. Reminds me of the old painting of the people peering through a hole in the fence.
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Cole »

I've been to PNC Park (Pittsburgh), Citizens Bank Park (Philly) and the Old Yankees Stadium. I'd really like to hit the 2 new NY stadiums as well as Fenway in the near future. I guess I should probably try the Nationals and Orioles too since they are pretty close to me.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#14 Post by Zephyrs »

Badgers wrote:I've been to PNC Park (Pittsburgh), Citizens Bank Park (Philly) and the Old Yankees Stadium. I'd really like to hit the 2 new NY stadiums as well as Fenway in the near future. I guess I should probably try the Nationals and Orioles too since they are pretty close to me.
no problem finding a ticket for Washington or Baltimore

humongous mistake by MLB moving Montreal to Washington; I can name at least 5 cities that can support a team better(New York should have a third team before Washington should have one)
Joined September 2010
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#15 Post by Apollos »

I totally agree with that. Considering all the teams that move west, they could support another team. Steinbrenner would file suit I'm afraid

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”