John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sign up for PEBA Fantasy Baseball

#31 Post by John »

Several owners have posted here or written me personally to say that they would not be interested in taking over the Borealis if they won the Grand Prize. In truth, I think this is kind of cool. After all, the whole purpose of emphasizing creative writing in this league is an effort to help owners bond with their teams. It seems like that's happened here. I'm particularly gratified to see small-market owners turning down the chance to take over the Borealis... good for you, I say. ;-D

PFB was envisioned for two reasons. One was of course to create a new and fun way to enjoy the PEBA. The other was as a vehicle for me to disburse myself of the Borealis, something I've been planning for awhile now. It's beginning to look like the second goal isn't going to be achievable through this game. That puts the emphasis squarely on Goal #1: Fun. And rushing into something isn't a ton of fun.

At the start of the offseason I received and offer from a very generous owner to help construct a website for the PFB game. This website is going to be very nifty indeed. It will automate a number of the tasks that we're trying to accomplish manually here, making the game a lot less "clunky". Unfortunately there hasn't been time to complete that website in advance of the start of the regular season. That's no one's fault. Real life takes precedence over a silly game - even more so, a silly game based off a silly game.

With the website not ready to go, I made the choice to push forward with the forum-based version of the game that's been presented to you. Obviously it's generated a lot of confusion, and in general I don't think I've provided enough time for owners to prepare. That's detrimental to the fun. We've already established that the Grand Prize isn't really desirable; take away the fun and you've got nothing.

With that in mind, I believe the best option is to delay the rollout of PFB until the 2011 season. This will allow ample time to finish the construction of the website and prep owners so that no one feels rushed. Rather than a half-baked implementation, I can present you with something fully fleshed-out, something that will add to the PEBA experience instead of being an extra chore you have to hurry to complete.

None of this changes my plans regarding the Borealis. I will be stepping down as owner after this season. It does raise the question, though: who takes my place? I very much wanted to avoid a situation where I had to pick my successor. The last thing you want is to be accused of favoritism.

With that in mind, I'm strongly leaning towards holding "auditions" for the new Borealis owner from outside the PEBA/LRS owner pool. It'll give me a chance to thoroughly vet the new owner and make sure he/she is someone we really want taking over one of our league's more successful franchises.

I hope this solution works for you all, and I'm sorry about the aborted rollout of PFB. The idea is certainly not being ditched. It'll be back next season with a much more professional implementation, and you'll have much more time to prepare yourselves for the game. If you were interested in playing this time around, hold that thought. If you stayed away because it seemed to rushed or unwieldy, give it a second chance in 2011. You'll like what's in store, I promise.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Badgers

#32 Post by Badgers »

John, count me in. If I were to send you a list of players, how long should the list be? Next week is finals week for me and I won't be around to make picks.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#33 Post by John »

Hold that thought Patrick. PFB is still in the cards, but we're going to wait until next season to kick it off. When it returns it will be in a much-improved format over the one I presented to you here.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#34 Post by Cole »

Oh man - I wanted a chance to take over the powerhouse... hehe oh well - I can live with the Badgers (Fan Interest just dropped 10 points with this post!)
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Jim

#35 Post by Jim »

Thanks John, for the idea...and the decision to postpone till ready. I think this is a great idea that could make other OOTP online leagues jealous.

Since I'm in the LRS, I don't think I ever would have been considered for takeover of the Boealis. But I think I would have turned down the offer. I don't think I'd be qualified to run the best team. I'd hate to runs something like that into the ground. I'll just stick with my bottom of the pile team and will be proud if I can just turn out a winning season :)
Mike Branda

#36 Post by Mike Branda »

Oh hell, I'll say it.

I'd be happy to be considered for taking over the Borealis.

If you're intent on going outside the current PEBA/LRS ownership, that's cool too.
Rudel.Dietrich

#37 Post by Rudel.Dietrich »

This is a cool idea but for this season it might have been better to use a real fantasy baseball games based on MLB to determine a winner and who took over Aurora. Using something like ESPN or Yahoo would have been little work and still produced a winner. But alas it is too late for that.

I am sort of glad this got delayed, there is no possible way I could of gotten a draft list in before this weekend and I would of had to of dropped out of the game.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#38 Post by Denny »

What! :shock: Postponed!? :-[ Why, just for that, I refuse to take part in PEBA Fantasy Baseball this season. :^

:-B

I personally was planning to offer the Borealis to another owner if I won (yes, I had candidates already in mind).
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#39 Post by Leones »

For what its worth if I had won I likely would have tried to give Aurora to a PEBA owner and then take over that team. I would like to switch over to the PEBA at some point, but I wouldn't want to be given a powerhouse to start with.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”