John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sign up for PEBA Fantasy Baseball

#16 Post by John »

Sandgnats (Bill) wrote:I was looking forward to this for fun, but learning an entire league in LRS in a few days demands quite a bit of time. Also, correct me if I'm wrong.... but as I understand it the draft is to start April 20th, (next Monday) and lasts 12 hours. It also continues through Saturday??? As I said, it's very possible that I'm just not understanding it, but is this fantasy draft taking six days to complete or isn't it?

If so, couldn't we just bang out the draft in a few hours on a weekend day?
I think I did a poor job of explaining the rules of the game, so let me take another stab at it here by answering these questions:
  1. You don't need to learn the LRS players in a few days. In fact you'll have several weeks before the LRS players become relevant to PFB at all. The way the game is set up, it's in your best interest to draft all PEBA players. Only later (as in about a month from now) will you add 5 LRS players to your squad. That should give everyone plenty of time to bone up on who's who in the LRS.
  2. The "draft" is just going to be a thread here on the forum where people post their picks (e.g. "Crystal Lake selects SP Nelson Anderson"). We're going to officially start allowing draft posts Monday morning at 10 AM ET. From that point on you can post your picks as soon as your turn arrives. Between the hours of 10 AM and 10 PM next Monday and Friday, I'm asking that owners be prepared to make their picks within half an hour of their turn arriving (that's where you're getting the 12 hour idea, Bill). Of course owners can still make picks outside of those hours; those are just the times we'll be enforcing the half-hour rule.
Does that help at all? Anybody else have any questions? I feel like I've done an exceedingly poor job of explaining how this is intended to work and that there's a great deal of confusion surrounding this game. If there's anything I can do to clear things up, just let me know.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Sandgnats (Bill)

#17 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Ahaa. Thanks for clarifying. That sounds a lot more manageable! I'm in.

You know what? Besides the fun side of this PFB league, this is a golden opportunity to learn the rest of the players in the league(PEBA or LRS)! John, you gain knowledge by watching DFA's and monitoring trades, etc. But for most of us, I don't know if we could even name more than a few players on each team in PEBA! I could probably do so for the most part in SL, but definitely not IL becuse we do not play them in season.

PFB is a great chance to learn who the big names in PEBA are and learn where they're playing.

I'm in!
James Bowman

#18 Post by James Bowman »

John, I probably won't be able to make it to the boards for most of the draft, but I could send you a draft list by the end of the week.

If you'd be willing to make my picks, I'm in as well. :)
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by Evas »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:Perhaps it would be best to bring an outsider on as the new owner, someone with no attachments to any particular team. If the majority of the eligible PFB participants signal their disinterest in taking over the Borealis (or if owners are just generally disinterested in the PFB concept), this may be exactly what ends up happening.
I say forget handing it over. Go for contraction - The Sum of All Fears style...
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#20 Post by Cole »

KevinV wrote:
Borealis - Commissioner wrote:Perhaps it would be best to bring an outsider on as the new owner, someone with no attachments to any particular team. If the majority of the eligible PFB participants signal their disinterest in taking over the Borealis (or if owners are just generally disinterested in the PFB concept), this may be exactly what ends up happening.
I say forget handing it over. Go for contraction - The Sum of All Fears style...
Great movie - Better book!
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#21 Post by John »

Statesmen wrote:John, I probably won't be able to make it to the boards for most of the draft, but I could send you a draft list by the end of the week.

If you'd be willing to make my picks, I'm in as well. :)
I'm absolutely willing to make picks for you from a draft list. That goes for everybody. If you'd like to play PFB but don't have time to check the forums during the week, send me a draft list! If I can make it easier for you to play, I will.

Jon, I'll mark you down as in for now. That brings us up to 6 players. I'm setting the minimum number of participants at 12. If we can get at least that many signed up by Sunday night, we'll go ahead with the draft starting on Monday.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#22 Post by Cole »

I'll be sending you a list for Saturday the 25th as I'll be moving that day.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#23 Post by John »

Badgers wrote:I'll be sending you a list for Saturday the 25th as I'll be moving that day.
Hopefully we'll be wrapped up by that day, but planning to have a list ready isn't a bad idea anyway.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#24 Post by Denny »

I am in as well, but will not be able to take part in the draft thread for most of the day, due to the oppressive nature of my employer's firewall. :-[
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#25 Post by John »

Codgers wrote:I am in as well, but will not be able to take part in the draft thread for most of the day, due to the oppressive nature of my employer's firewall. :-[
That's fine Denny. Just fire off a draft list to me to cover yourself.

We're up to 7. 5 more before Monday and the game will be a go. Who else is in?
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#26 Post by Hitmen »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:
Hitmen wrote:While I was looking forward to this, there is no way I can adjust my schedule with such short notice over the next 10 days. I'm out of town this weekend and in training next week and won't have time or access.
Matt, do you think you could sketch out a draft list of sorts and send it my way prior to the draft? We could use that in lieu of having you here next week. Even something as simple as sorting players by 2009 VORP and sending in a quick list based on that would work to at least get you in the game.
I'm on the road mid day on Friday and doubt I will have time tomorrow as I have to prepare for Regionals this weekend. We're 4 time defending champs and with a couple of players missing, I'm still trying to come up with a way to defend our title ;P

I'm just worried if I send a list just done from VORP, I won't have the proper positions filled, etc. I just don't have the time this weekend to devote to investigating the PEBA and LRS rosters unfortunately. :(
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#27 Post by John »

For the record, you can safely ignore the LRS for now. The way the game is set up, you won't need to draft any LRS players. You won't need to familiarize yourself with LRS players for a whole month, in fact. I'm also fine with you sending instructions along with your list like "Only draft one player at each offensive position".

So knowing that you only need to look at PEBA players and that you can direct your list, do you think you'd be able to whip something up?
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Rudel.Dietrich

#28 Post by Rudel.Dietrich »

I will play but with the time difference drafting is going to be hell.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#29 Post by John »

Submitting a draft list ahead of time will definitely be the way to go for you, Rudel, since there's no way you can reasonably be expected to be around during draft hours.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Matt
VIP
VIP

#30 Post by Matt »

IF I can get a draft list prepared this weekend I will join in. Big IF, since it looks like I will be in Oklahoma over the weekend, and there is just so many exciting things to do and see there. Like watch the corn grow.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”