John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1 Post by John »

Welcome to the inaugural season of PEBA Fantasy Baseball! Today's mailing laid out the details of how the game will work. You can read a reprinting of that email here.

Use this thread to sign up to play PFB. When you sign up, you're committing to participating in the forum draft starting on Monday, April 20. Please be prepared to make your picks quickly when your turns arrive! This will be critical if we're going to finish before the start of the PEBA regular season.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sign up for PEBA Fantasy Baseball

#2 Post by John »

Teams signed up to play PFB
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Tyler »

Let me know what sort of availability you need. I'll have some classes where I won't be able to check the forums for 3-4 hours, but otherwise I can live on my computer. 8)

Oh, also, I want to play. :wink:

:catcher:
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Jim

#4 Post by Jim »

I'd like to play. I'll be out the 24th thru 26th, but I'll send in a list if necessary.
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by klewis »

I'm in also.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#6 Post by Cole »

I'm in. I can pretty much draft at any time now that tax season is over. Of course, if I'm at a client then I won't be able to during the day, but I don't think I'll be doing much of that in the next few weeks.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Hitmen »

While I was looking forward to this, there is no way I can adjust my schedule with such short notice over the next 10 days. I'm out of town this weekend and in training next week and won't have time or access.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#8 Post by Cole »

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys are playing for the right to take over Aurora? As of now, I'm not too emotionally tied to my team so I think I would take over the Borealis if I won Fantasy Baseball - However, that could change by seasons end. What about you all?
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

Hitmen wrote:While I was looking forward to this, there is no way I can adjust my schedule with such short notice over the next 10 days. I'm out of town this weekend and in training next week and won't have time or access.
Matt, do you think you could sketch out a draft list of sorts and send it my way prior to the draft? We could use that in lieu of having you here next week. Even something as simple as sorting players by 2009 VORP and sending in a quick list based on that would work to at least get you in the game.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by klewis »

I don't plan to take over Aurora. Just participating for fun.
Badgers wrote:Out of curiosity, how many of you guys are playing for the right to take over Aurora? As of now, I'm not too emotionally tied to my team so I think I would take over the Borealis if I won Fantasy Baseball - However, that could change by seasons end. What about you all?
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Tyler »

I as well am not planning on taking over Aurora - just playing for bragging rights.
Badgers wrote:Out of curiosity, how many of you guys are playing for the right to take over Aurora? As of now, I'm not too emotionally tied to my team so I think I would take over the Borealis if I won Fantasy Baseball - However, that could change by seasons end. What about you all?
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Evas »

So the Badgers are the only team that might get to take over Aurora?
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Cole »

At this point who knows - like I said, after this year, I might be too immersed in my team to do it - but anyway - I'm sure we're going to have more PFB players that what have signed up to date.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by John »

I admit that interest in both PFB as well as the Grand Prize will influence how this goes. If only four owners are interested in playing, quite frankly it's not going to be worth the effort (and I say that with all due respect to the fine owners who have signed up). If only one eligible owner is interested in the Grand Prize, that's not much of a contest, now is it? ;)

One way or another, I fully intend to surrender ownership of the Borealis to someone come the conclusion of the 2010 season. This seemed like a nifty way to do it - a game everyone can enjoy and have an equal shot at winning. However, it's completely understandable that you guys have grown attached to the franchises you've worked so hard to build and I should have been more cognizant of that fact. Sometimes you can get wrapped up in a "neat idea" and lose track of how it's going to work for everyone else.

Perhaps it would be best to bring an outsider on as the new owner, someone with no attachments to any particular team. If the majority of the eligible PFB participants signal their disinterest in taking over the Borealis (or if owners are just generally disinterested in the PFB concept), this may be exactly what ends up happening.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Sandgnats (Bill)

#15 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

I was looking forward to this for fun, but learning an entire league in LRS in a few days demands quite a bit of time. Also, correct me if I'm wrong.... but as I understand it the draft is to start April 20th, (next Monday) and lasts 12 hours. It also continues through Saturday??? As I said, it's very possible that I'm just not understanding it, but is this fantasy draft taking six days to complete or isn't it?

If so, couldn't we just bang out the draft in a few hours on a weekend day?
Badgers wrote:At this point who knows - like I said, after this year, I might be too immersed in my team to do it - but anyway - I'm sure we're going to have more PFB players that what have signed up to date.
I've spoken to a few owners and there doesn't seem to be interest in taking over the reigns of Aurora. I guess it just comes down to do you want to be handed something or do you want to earn it yourself? It's currently the best the best team in PEBA, no doubt, but I would pass if I won the fantasy league. If I was just entering the league and somebody told me "Hey, there is an open slot and it just so happens to be the best team in the league, do you want it?" Well, I would say hell yeah! But, when we've spent a lot of time, draft picks, and trades getting the organization to how we would like it to be, giving that up in an instant doesn't seem too logical to me. But, to each his own!

Credit goes out to John on this idea as it is brilliant! Awesome, awesome idea to create fun for the league(s) and step down in a very creative manner.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”