High Priced Free Agents?

klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

High Priced Free Agents?

#1 Post by klewis »

Is it me or it seems that there are a lot of "overpriced" free agents? Anyway if that is the case, it's probably because the max cash of $25 million has not been enforced yet? So can I blame the free agents asking price on Aurora's $47.75 million cash on hand? Blasted Evil Empire! :P
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: High Priced Free Agents?

#2 Post by John »

You're misreading my financial report. I have $25M on hand, which is the cash max. As for free agent prices, there's a wide gap between demands and what players will actually accept.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Denny »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:As for free agent prices, there's a wide gap between demands and what players will actually accept.
Maybe for you! :-C :cry:
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by klewis »

Yeah you are right John. I was looking at "balance" and not "cash". There goes my failed attempt at trying to pin something down on the Evil Empire :( Since 2010 is your last season as owner of Aurora, I had to be sure to give you some ribbing before you go :)
Alan Ehlers

#5 Post by Alan Ehlers »

The Calzones and I were talking about that very thing. There is a lot of high price free agents who stink
Sandgnats (Bill)

#6 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Knights wrote:The Calzones and I were talking about that very thing. There is a lot of high price free agents who stink
It's all about timing my friend. Every year, we have outrageous free agent demands. Right now is the peak of outrageous demand time!! :) The off season just began and the players are seeing what they can get. The longer we wait as owners to sign them, the lower their demands get.

If you are comparing OOTP9 to OOTP8 however, I agree. I think it would be safe to say that OOTP9 has really ramped up the greed factor on players. Absurdity definitely comes to mind when choosing a word sometimes to decsribe the players demands. But as we all know(that have been involved with free agents before) the demands of the players is many times a loooong way away from what they will accept.

Keep your chin up, we can all can reach our free agent goals if we put in the effort. Good luck!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

Bill is right about the timing. As he said, demands are at their highest right now. As we progress into the new year, you'll see those demands begin to fall. Another thing that will help in the future is the CP cash sinks. When we can end a season with less cash on hand as a whole, initial free agent demands will shrink.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Hitmen »

Seems true to life to me...greedy players (and owners) :grin:

It will be interesting to see how revenue sharing will come into play over the next few seasons.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by klewis »

Didn't feel like posting a new thread so I'm just piggybacking off this original thread.

I still see a lot of good free agents out there. Will they all find a home? You got pitchers like Andrés Díaz, Jorge Gallegos, Cristián De Jesús, and Mel Kennedy out there.

For hitters you got the likes of Eric Morse, Yoshino Miyata, Shimei Nakamura, and Mark Frazier out there. Or how about that greedy bum, Josh Emery. Will he ever find his way back to PEBA again?

Everyone playing the waiting game? As for myself, I have a decent amount of budget space to add one more solid player. But I've been kind of reluctant to sign some guys. I would love to sign Díaz or Gallegos, but considering their age, I tend to value my first round draft pick more especially since it's still a relatively early pick and I need to continue building a young nucleus.

For selfish reasons, I hope someone steps up to the plate and snatch up Miyata. So far it looks like he is headed to the Dixie Division and I'm not looking forward to my pitchers throwing to him :-o
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by John »

Many of the biggest free agents take their time settling on a bidder. You'll probably begin to see some of these guys sign this week. As for Emery, God only knows when he's going to sign with anyone. Someone needs to tell him that there comes a point when you take what you can get and play some freakin' ball. :P
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by DanD »

I had a player take so long making a decision that he forgot about my offer!

I made an offer a week ago or so and he said he favored it. After this last sim I noticed my offer wasn't even listed in the "Pending Offer" window anymore :lol:
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by John »

Bureaucrats wrote:I had a player take so long making a decision that he forgot about my offer!

I made an offer a week ago or so and he said he favored it. After this last sim I noticed my offer wasn't even listed in the "Pending Offer" window anymore :lol:
Yes, that's happened to me too on occasion. Seems to be a little bug in the system. it's good practice to keep an eye on your offers just in case the player "forgets" them.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Jim

#13 Post by Jim »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:
Bureaucrats wrote:I had a player take so long making a decision that he forgot about my offer!
Maybe the player didn't even think the offer was worth the effort of a reply? :lol:

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”