PEBA Fantasy Baseball + Other Reactions

klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PEBA Fantasy Baseball + Other Reactions

#1 Post by klewis »

I came home from work and checked my email. There were quite a few surprising annoucements in the email.

The PEBA Fantasy Baseball mini-game caught me by surprise. I thought it was kinda ironic that we would joke that the only thing nerdier than playing simulation baseball is playing a fantasy baseball based on the sim PEBA world. Lo and behold here we are with PEBA Fantasy Baseball heh.

We're approaching closer to the grand opening of the LRS, which should be very exiciting to our new prospective owners and to the league overall. So good luck to the LRS' inaugural season with human owners and their respective teams.

I'm not sure how I feel about John no longer owning Aurora. On one hand, I understand his reasons for stepping down. It's exciting to hear that with John being free in the future, our PEBA experiences will further be enriched with new features. Even though I do not play in the SL, I will definitely miss the fun of everyone gunning for Aurora and the disdain for the "Evil Empire." I don't know who originally made the statement but people always have said one of the beauties of sports is having heroes and villains. Ha not saying that John/Aurora is a villain in PEBA persay, but it seems we have dubbed him/Aurora that way in jest.

As for winning the Aurora bid, I personally wouldn't want to take over Aurora. I'll participate in the PEBA fantasy mini-game but am too invested in my own team to trade it for another team.

Anyway thanks for your dedication and maintaining this league John ;-D
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PEBA Fantasy Baseball + Other Reactions

#2 Post by John »

Your quite welcome Kevin! This league has evolved way beyond my hopes and dreams. It's my pleasure to make the experience as much fun as possible for you guys as possible, and I believe moving into a full-time Commissioner role will allow me to better pursue that goal. I just hope that whomever inherits the Borealis will give the team the care it deserves! There's some history that's been built up there, and I want to make sure that history keeps getting developed even after I'm gone.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Rudel.Dietrich

#3 Post by Rudel.Dietrich »

In the online leagues I join I prefer if the commish does not own a team. I have never suspected one of any wrong doing but I guess I am just not a trust worthy person, if I see the commish's team win 120 games and the championship year after year I always get that feeling that it is not as 'real' as another GM winning it. And that just takes some of the fun away.
I also know from my own experiences running a online league that even if you try your best not to, you still see things that other GMs do not have access too. In the league I ran it required me to edit every single player in the league. So of course I knew hidden ratings and ratings over 100 even though I rather would not have known them.

So I gues I can say I was glad to see the announcement. Again speaking from my own experience running a league I always enjoyed sitting back having no personal investment in any team being happy with however the sim results came out. I suspect John loves this league so much that he will experience similar feelings once he is freed from having to be a GM.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

One thing I can say with pride is that, with the exception of CP Winter Ball edits, I never enter the player editor for any reason whatsoever. My mantra is "hands off". I don't expect that will change once I am no longer managing a team. I prefer the league to be as much a mystery to me as it is to the rest of the owners. It remains more intriguing and organic to me that way.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Rudel.Dietrich

#5 Post by Rudel.Dietrich »

I have never been a commish since OOTP 6.5
When you are in commish mode do you see the 'correct' ratings for a player if scouts are turned on?
Or can you do all your commish duties from GM mode?

Just more of a curiosity question in case I ever get back into running a online league
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by John »

I cannot see the "true" player ratings unless I enter the editor, something I religiously avoid. Just like other owners, my scouting reports are filtered through the opinions of my Scouting Director.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Rudel.Dietrich

#7 Post by Rudel.Dietrich »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:I cannot see the "true" player ratings unless I enter the editor, something I religiously avoid. Just like other owners, my scouting reports are filtered through the opinions of my Scouting Director.

That is cool to know. I knew it was that way in solo play but thought perhaps it changed in online play if you were a commissioner.
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by DanD »

The fantasy league is a cool idea. Did you have some piece of software in mind, or is it going to be primarily "pen-and-paper"?
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

It'll be pen-and-paper. To keep things relatively simple, transactions will only be allowed at the beginning of each month. We'll be erring on the side of simplicity to make the game accessible. I don't want it to become a major time sink for owners that ends up distracting them from the main action of the league. Rather, it's intended to be a fun diversion. What I would like to implement is a webpage where the PFB standings are updated as we sim. I'll look into that as we get closer to the 2010 season.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#10 Post by Cole »

Rudel.Dietrich wrote:In the online leagues I join I prefer if the commish does not own a team. I have never suspected one of any wrong doing but I guess I am just not a trust worthy person, if I see the commish's team win 120 games and the championship year after year I always get that feeling that it is not as 'real' as another GM winning it. And that just takes some of the fun away.
I also know from my own experiences running a online league that even if you try your best not to, you still see things that other GMs do not have access too. In the league I ran it required me to edit every single player in the league. So of course I knew hidden ratings and ratings over 100 even though I rather would not have known them.

So I gues I can say I was glad to see the announcement. Again speaking from my own experience running a league I always enjoyed sitting back having no personal investment in any team being happy with however the sim results came out. I suspect John loves this league so much that he will experience similar feelings once he is freed from having to be a GM.

I used to run an OOTP 2006 league - back in the day where there was a development report that just cited increases and decreases, but not every development was reported, which was a "feature" of the game.

Well - in about the 4th season's Spring Training (I had won 100+ games every year running the Red Sox) - I traded for a 22 or 23 yr old SP who was like 5/6/6 - he had one of those strange development jumps to something like 6/7/8 (approximate ratings) during the sim (we ran entire ST all at once). I processed the trade, not realizing that he had even increased. There was uproar from the guy I traded with because it was one of the unreported developments (as many were) - and I let someone replace me as Commish over it because people questioned my team. It was really sad, but strangely, I went on to win the next 3 World Series titles after stepping down, and the league folded after that.

So yeah - John, you're lucky to have guys that don't question you - I can speak firsthand from experience that it's the worst thing in the world to be accused of cheating when your the Commish.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by John »

I consider myself luck each and every time I interact with this group, not just because they don't question my honesty but because they are a stellar group of guys as a whole. It's really a joy to do this when you honestly like the people you're playing with. I can say with complete honesty that I like our group very much.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”