Blanket Apology

Matt
VIP
VIP

Blanket Apology

#1 Post by Matt »

My series of articles during this season has caused quite the stir. And sadly, they appear to have become more detrimental to the league than beneficial.

When I write these articles, they are meant to be as honest as I can make them. I try to offer the same criticisms and opinions as you would read on ESPN, the Sporting News, The New York Daily News, or hear on sports talk radio. It is meant to be from a third person standpoint, and at no times are the criticisms meant to be taken personally. I just call them as I see them.

Unfortunately, life being what it is, criticism under any circumstance is rarely well received.

That being said, for anyone at all who has been offended, you have my apologies. My intentions were far different than the end results.

As for the future, I am discontinuing the types of articles that would involve any type of analysis involving other teams, trades, the draft, or the minor league systems. It's simply impossible to write a truly honest article on those subjects without being critical. To write a pure fluff piece would be dishonest.

Lastly, to John, a sincere apology for the disturbance caused. Certainly creating a disturbance was not on my agenda, but I am responsible.

I now return you all to your regularly scheduled programming.
Sandgnats (Bill)

Re: Blanket Apology

#2 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

I have heard from a couple of people that didn't like the criticism and I think you dish it out much too thick for Tempe. But you guys are lifelong buds, and that's just friendly razzing, so I don't think anything of it.

Despite that, I will definitely miss your honesty!!! Nobody likes reading negative opinions about their players or organizations, but they're exactly that-JUST OPINIONS. Even though you put a great deal of time and effort into your articles, I don't consider your opinion any more valuable than mine or any average joe out there. If we're not adult enough to handle a little criticism, then we need to thicken our skins a little and grow up.

If we write articles and attack somebody personallly, that's not cool and I think there are better forums for that kind of communication. But, from what I've read from your articles, you were as you said, offering your opinion. You're entitled to it and anybody's opinion should be welcome in my mind.

So, I for one will miss your critical analyses and the honesty it represents. I must say that the repeated shots at Tempe gets old and annoying REALLY FAST, but other than that, I respected and admired your work! Please don't lose your opinionated edge. If we don't write passionately, then we're not really writing at all, are we?

Take care and I'm looking forward to your future writing contributions to PEBA!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

I think that's very big of you to offer that apology, Matt, and let me in turn express my thanks for you doing so. I appreciate what you're shooting for with your articles. I also can see why some people would be stung by the criticism. The more we play in this league, the more I come to appreciate the kind of emotional investment we've developed with our teams. They become extension of us, so when a perceived shot is taken at them it's like we're absorbing a blow, too (even if that wasn't the intent).

I would be very sorry if you decided to give up "review"-style articles, for a couple reasons actually. Obviously they're exceedingly popular (it's easy to tell; those kind of articles always get the most page reads on the homepage). But perhaps more important than that is that there's a dual opportunity here, one for the writer and one for the reader.

The writer has a chance to learn how to "critique with sensitivity". That's admittedly no mean feat. You're instantly walking the tightrope when you start evaluating, but mastering the art is so worth the effort. You get to enjoy all the kudos for your work and the popularity of your articles, and at the same time avoid all the unpleasantness that comes with hurt feelings. If you want to achieve that, it's incumbent on your to know your audience. How far can you go before you cross a line? If you don't know the answer, make sure you get a dialogue going with owners you plan to critique before you go to print. You'll spare a lot of hurt that way.

The reader has an opportunity as well. Think about it for a minute: we ask for this kind of article, don't we? How many times have I heard someone say, "I love trade/draft reviews!" So now consider this: If we like "review" articles and want to see more of them, don't we have a responsibility to roll with them if/when the reviews don't go our way? If we can't do this, we're communicating to the author that we're a tightly-wound bunch that has a hard time accepting criticism. That's not a fertile environment for creativity. So look at it as a chance to show that you're the kind of guy who can take things in stride.

Finally, since we're tossing blankets around, here's my blanket advice for everyone. The last thing you want to do is to make decisions and declarations while you're upset. This will never come to any good. At the moment of offense it seems like a really big deal. 10 hours from now, though, it's going to be a new morning and you're probably not going to remember what you were upset about the night before. But if you've gone and done something rash in the heat of the moment, that is going to stick with you. Is a miscommunication worth swearing off writing articles you love to write? Is an insult worth leaving behind a team you love to run? Obviously the answer to these questions is a resounding "NO". So always remember to step back and take that breath before you start typing. Believe me, it's a policy that will carry you far.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by klewis »

I think it was very big of you Matt to make a public apology. As for your reviews, I do not have a problem about you criticizing my organization. I figure it's just an opinion anyway.

But I can see how people can get offended. I suppose it's a very fine that each and everyone of us have to determine and walk.

Personally my rule of thumb when dealing with other organizations is to write with the perspective of an opposing GM rather than 3rd person media member. I figure it's more politically correct that way. I do have a character dubbed "Negative Nelly" but I've been pretty tame with him. I rather rip my own players with him and ease his character's persoanlity into the league. Once people get used to his over the top "Steven A. Smith" style, then no one can take him seriously when I do criticize :grin:

I do hope you continue writing your league articles. They are a good read and you spend a lot of time on them. But I can understand if you decide to stop doing those articles or taking a break... there's no point in writing something if you feel restricted or confined. Anyway, I look forward to your future contributions and battling with San Antonio in the Dixie Division.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Rudel.Dietrich

#5 Post by Rudel.Dietrich »

I hope you guys criticize my team all you want. The more brains that spend time looking over my team instead of another team can only help me win more games.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Tyler »

For the record, Matt, you've never offended me in any of your writings about West Virginia. I enjoy the outsider's perspective and you've taught me a thing or two along the way. You don't need to dull your pen if you ever use it to write about the Coal Sox.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#7 Post by Maulers »

Coal Sox wrote:For the record, Matt, you've never offended me in any of your writings about West Virginia. I enjoy the outsider's perspective and you've taught me a thing or two along the way. You don't need to dull your pen if you ever use it to write about the Coal Sox.
I've also loved Matt's articles, in spite of the fact (let me remind everyone) that the Maulers were judged by him to have the worst minor league system in all of PEBA. He's right, of course, so it's nothing to me. I would also hate to see these kinds of articles stop: they are exceedingly cool and helpful and, frankly, if Matt doesn't do them I don't see any of us being willing to step and take the time. It's your choice, Matt, but I think I speak for most of us, when I ask you to reconsider (if you are willing).
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Sandgnats (Bill)

#8 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Rudel.Dietrich wrote:I hope you guys criticize my team all you want. The more brains that spend time looking over my team instead of another team can only help me win more games.
Great attitude!! ....and funny too :lol:

On the blanket apology, in case I didn't make myself clear. I definitely want Matt to continue writing review articles, etc. Taking your prolific writing away from PEBA is comparable to taking the owners away from PEBA. The league wouldn't be much fun without either, so please reconsider!
Alan Ehlers

#9 Post by Alan Ehlers »

I do not mind criticism and I have thick skin in a lot of areas, but my point is that there is only so much anyone should take before he fires back. I felt that that there was no analysis concerning me just a hatchet job in order to gain shock value. Hey that is okay, but what really is wrong is all the comments afterwards, which I felt were unwarranted just because I did not agree with the analysis. Here is some examples what I mean.

1. I would hardly call that headed in the right direction.

2. You, on the other hand, do EVERYTHING exactly the opposite of the recommendations, and the results...well... it is what it is.

3. "That's right. I'm here to shatter your delusions, rain on your parade, burst your bubble, etc. And when I'm done with that I'm going to kick your puppy."

4. "Taking a page out of the Tempe playbook, Flores was Hancocked to Connecticut after two seasons at A-ball, completely bypassing AA and AAA."

5. "Ramón Rodríguez made it to the PEBA level, but that's more of an indictment of the madness that seems to infect the Tempe organization than anything else. The Tempe 2007 draft was an exercise in futility, but the train wreck sure makes for great entertainment."

6. These are the ones here which I thought were way over line because I was the only one who recived these shitty comments and when I fire back I felt everyone is saying I do not have thick skin. I have thick skin but that does not mean I am not going to fire back with both barrels especially when I am being singled out for whatever reason.

"Bailey had a decent bu unspectacular year at short season ball in 2008, batting .255. Traded to Tempe, he has since been hancocked to AAA, way over his head for a 20 year old. Sure he has 35 doubles. He has also walked 11 times, while striking out 106 times BECAUSE HE IS IN OVER HIS HEAD YOU INCOMPETENT PUTZ!!! Another career on the verge of being smashed upon the rocks much like a rudderless ship upon a foggy shoreline."

"Thomas shows at least some potential to be speedy leadoff type hitter someday. Too bad he will quickly be completely destroyed by incompetence and impatience. We won't bother talking about what might have been. It just turns our stomach to know what awaits this poor soul."

"Second round pick out of high school in the past draft. Batting .212 so far at short season, which, judging by the Tempe logic, means that with a base hit in his next at bat and he will be promoted to a starting job at the PEBA level as the next savior, or with an out will be summarily released only to end up prospering in some one else's organization."

"He doesn't have any talent, but that 0-7 6.21 mark at Fairbanks is symbolic of everything that is wrong with Tempe. And the fact that Cruz is the best pitching prospect in the minor league level of the Tempe organization is another indicator of just how bad things are. Most Tempe fans drank the kool-aid long ago. We pity Cruz, even if he does suck, and would not wish his fate upon anyone. Our theory is that you've basically screwed the pooch on your karma somehow to end up in the Tempe organization."

"Garcia showed some promise early on, as posted a 5-6 2.87 mark at A Drumright in 2007. Sadly, he was dealt to Tempe, where the madness began."

"0-8 5.69 at short season in 11 starts. Perfect by Fairbanks standards. People for the Ethical Treatment of Athletes have started a Free Jose Marquez letter writing campaign."

"Tempe Summary – Clueless. Inept. Asinine. Ignorant. All references to Tempe management in the Tempe press. And those were the compliments. This is an organization that has no clue as to how to run a farm system. It's almost as if an impatient schizophrenic Mets fan has run amok in the front office. Releasing 2nd round draft picks barely a year after the draft without ever seeing what they might become. Hancocking players up and down between the levels with no rhyme nor reason. Rushing players to the majors. Endlessly trading away young talent for even less mediocre talent in bad trades to the point where there is virtually nothing left. Trading away draft picks in a desperate attempt to win at the PEBA level, while being severely delusional about the level of talent at their disposal. The biggest issues facing the Knights are not one of market size or money, but rather impatience and poor management. Instead of building a farm system, they have wrecked theirs faster than an F5 tornado implodes a barn. Markus Hancock became a double edged sword for the Knights. Yes, he prospered at the PEBA level with very little development. He was the one in a million pitcher who could go almost straight to the PEBA and have success. Unfortunately, the Knights are now deluded into thinking any player can go straight to the PEBA level without taking the time to properly develop them for 3 to 5 years. And they will probably go through a million players until they get another Hancock. Sadly, it seems as if that is what they are trying to do, as the carnage of broken careers at the hands of the Tempe Knights organization now exceeds Dusty Bakers trail of broken arms. There is no solution to this problem. Until Tempe develops a realistic plan, with the term REALISTIC meaning a plan not based on best case "pie in the sky" scenario's but one grounded in the harsh realities of developing players over time, this will be a train wreck of a farm system. Tempe only achieved a ranking of 21st due to the fact that we used strictly statistical criteria in our rankings. If we had used subjective criteria, such as mismanagement, impatience, etc, Tempe would have ranked dead last by a large margin. Think Secretariat at the Belmont type margin."

That was the whole analysis if you want to call it that, which is fine, but then came all the catty comments afterwards so of course I am going to fire back.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#10 Post by Matt »

You can choose to not have a sense of humor if you wish. It was a game, the articles were meant to be fun, they went astray and were not well enough written to avoid hurt feelings. Beyond that, I am done with the subject.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by John »

There's no need to reiterate the argument, Chris. We all know you were upset by the analysis, and I understand where you're coming from. I think Matt understands as well; thus the apology here. Now it's time to let it drop and get back to the business of baseball. In the end, we're all friends and enjoying the game and the camaraderie of the group is why we're here.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Alan Ehlers

#12 Post by Alan Ehlers »

fine

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”