2010 draft class

Matt
VIP
VIP

2010 draft class

#1 Post by Matt »

We are months from the next draft pool being released, but as time allows I am going to begin previewing some of the talents I expect to be available in the next draft, as well as the most extremely promising further down the line that it might be time to begin keeping an eye. I will go school by school trying to highlight the best from each. Feel free to join in and spotlight some players.

I would do this as an article, but at this point John needs the assistance of a super computer to keep up with all my unusable bonus points, plus it might be more fun if everyone started poking around to see what they could find.

Arizona Lutes
Alonso Gonzalez – 1b – S – not considered a top tier talent by scouts yet,
hit very well in limited at bats over his first three seasons. .385 avg, .444 obp, 20 doubles in 169 at bats. Has also shown a very good eye at the plate. Very good size, so some thought that the power may come. Would really love to see him get more playing time this season to get a better handle on what he might become. My scouts say he will hit enough to make the PEBA level and be rather ordinary or maybe a bench player. OSA scouts have this guy as a contender for a batting crown someday with some average power. Hard to look past the size and the batting average and not think that if develops some power and keeps the average up he could be a real monster someday. My early projection is he might sneak his way into the middle part of the first day, say late round 4.

Brendan Jones - 1b - R - the guy who might be the fly in the ointment for us getting a better handle on Gonzalez. Jones will be a first year player, but my scouts have this guy off the freaking charts. 100 contact, 100 power, blue or green everywhere else. OSA scouts are a little more pessimistic. Great intangibles, good size. A first year player, so no stats to look at, but worth watching next season, especially to see how the playing time shakes out.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2010 draft class

#2 Post by John »

Great idea! Don't let Matt have all the fun, though. It really pays to keep an eye on the feeder leagues. There's just too many guys in the pool to wait to scout them until a little before the draft. Of course the feeders are out of season at the moment, but this will be the first year where the new draft class will have a full 3 seasons worth of stats behind them entering their senior season. So there's plenty to go on. Since you're going to be checking them out anyway, why not come here and post your thoughts on some players you find particularly interesting?
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Matt
VIP
VIP

#3 Post by Matt »

Arizona State -

Andrew Fuller - CL- R - scouts say he is a talentless hack, but throws 93-95 and has improved each season at the college level. If he improves yet again the numbers will look very good, as he posted a 3.47 era and 1.03 whip last season. gut hunch is if those numbers improve, so do his scouting reports, and he could find himself in the middle to upper part of the first day of the draft.

Luis Gonzalez - MR - R - scouts like his stuff, and OSA rates him higher than my scouts do, but throws 92-94 and took a nice step forward last year posting a 1.64 era, but seemed to take a step back in the control department, walking an ungodly 18 in 22 innings. Becoming hard to hit, but being effectively wild at the college level might not translate to success in pro ball. Somebody will take a chance on his arm, maybe middle of the second day of the draft.

Matt Carter - Cf - L - the best hitting prospect on the team at the moment, he wont be draft eligible for 3 more seasons, but if his first season was any indication of things to come, look out. Batted .308 with .434 obp, 9 hr, 28 rbi, and walked 46 times while striking out just 33. The marginal speed and marginal defense suggest corner outfielder someday. My scouts say he will be a middle of the road starter someday, but may strike out a bit too much. Would like to see how his numbers shake out going forward, because last years numbers indicate he has a decent eye. OSA scouts are even more optimistic about his power potential than my scouts. Will be interesting to follow his progress.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#4 Post by Matt »

California

Tucker Cain - SS -S
Scouts have his hitting ability as rather mediocre, maybe a potential to be a very good utility man or bottom feeding starter at the PEBA level. OSA scouts, meanwhile, project him hitting much better and actually maybe being a force in a lineup on a regular basis. Does not project to have either power or speed, but plays very good defense and has some great intangibles. His numbers have also improved each season, and last years numbers look very good, .326 average, .391 obp, 18 doubles, 6 triples, 3 hr. Could play anywhere on the infield at least at an above average level.

Brad Kemp - MR - R
will have to wait awhile, only has one year under his belt, but it was a very good year. Hits 98 on the gun. 2.92 era and 1.05 whip, allowed just 22 hits in 37 innings while striking out 49. If this guy improves, look out, could be a monster at the back of a bullpen.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#5 Post by Matt »

Central Florida

David Gutierrez - SP - R
13-8, 2.55 in 3 seasons. Good size, great intangibles. Very low endurance, and despite throwing low 90's doesn't rack up enough strikeouts. But with the numbers so far, the intangibles, the size, he's one of those guys you take a chance with and hope the light goes on at some point.

Bob Adams - 1b - R
Better suited to third base with that above average arm. Part timer in three seasons, but overall numbers fairly decent, .296, .361, 11 hr in 243 at bats. Has walked 27 times while striking out 31 in his career. OSA scouts really like Adams, believing he will be a well above average hitter with average power. My scouts slightly less optimistic, thought they do believe he has what it takes to make the PEBA level in some capacity some day.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#6 Post by Matt »

Cincinnati

Henry Ellacott - 3b - S
Switch hitting third baseman, what immediately jumps out is his ability to make contact and his eye at the plate. Hit .416 last season in 48 games. .353 for his career, .428 obp, walked 56 times while striking out just 20 in 414 career at bats. Scouts don't project a lot of power, but the power has been increasing slightly each season. Despite his smallish frame, the consistent little upticks there have me curious as to whether there might be a bit more power under the surface. Plays above average defense with a cannon arm. Should make it into the upper half of the first day of the draft.

Curt "Cobra" Turner - SP - R
Little doubt Turner will leave the board in the first round. Throws 93-95. Has improved his numbers each year. 9-0 last season, 1.99. And that was with a .363 babip!! Career 17-11 2.29, 0.97 whip, 232 innings, just 32 walks, and 306 k's. Front end of the rotation starter someday.

Ben Wagner - CF - R
A year away yet, and limited college numbers. Hit .447 with .528 obp last year. Career numbers in 50 games, 158 at bats, .386, .447. It's really fun to see his career numbers projected over a 162 game season. 29 2b, 13 3b, 36 hr, 126 rbi, 52 bb, 39 k, 19 sb. Would love to see him get some real playing time the next two seasons, because he looks like five tool stud potential.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#7 Post by Matt »

East Carolina

Leslie "Three Finger" McDonald - 2b - R
Here's the stud 2b for those in need of infield help in the first round. Career batting stats 478 ab, 41 2b, 37 hr, 93 rbi, .326, .414. Above average defense at second base despite a noodle arm, speed is marginal. My scouts say future stud, OSA says put him in the HOF now. Only knock is he may strike out too much.

Kenny Bender - SP - R
Throws 93-95. Has been improving his numbers each season. 3-1 1.64 in 11 starts last season, 0.94 whip. Hard to look past the nearly 5 to 1 k/w ratio for his career. Good endurance. Scouts are not quite sold on him, but if I had to project him going forward I would say he projects out to be a bottom end ace or a top of the line #2 in a few years. Should leave the board by late first round.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#8 Post by Matt »

Georgetown

Brad Fitzpatrick - CL - R
Took a step backward last season, but mostly due to an unlucky babip. 6'8" and throws in mid 90's. Has no endurance, and his intangibles weak. Numbers his first two season showed promise, but his senior year could make or break his draft status. Personally, would look right past him because of that endurance, but someone will take a chance on that arm. Makes it to about the 5th round is my best guess.

Josh Willard - Cf - R
you only need to know one thing about this future leadoff man. In 149 games at the college level, has an obp of .488. The .391 batting average is nothing to sneeze at either. OSA has this guy off the charts, suggesting he will win batting crowns. Great speed, and with those types of on base skills, should win stolen base crowns as well. Has the potential to be an elite leadoff man. Won't make it past the middle of the first round.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#9 Post by Matt »

This topic seems to have gone over like a lead balloon, but continuing right along for my own enjoyment....

Houston Shastas

CF Wayne Roe - good power and speed combination, and plays some very good defense. Question remains as to whether he can keep the average up enough to ever be successful at the PEBA level. Hard to look past those power numbers, 21 Hr in 2007, 16 in 2009. Had an off year in 2008. While he didn't fully rebound in 2009, after an off year in 2008 his numbers were much closer to 2009 levels, but the thing that jumps out is an increased plate discipline in 2009. Simply blazing speed. If he puts up another 15 hr campaign, he will have to be on everyone's radar.

SP Michael Ayers - presently scouts as bottom of the rotation fodder. But the numbers say otherwise. Consistent uptics in almost all his numbers over his three seasons. Career numbers now 15-8 3.06, 1.08 whip, 217.2 ip, 193 hits, 42 bb, 236 k's, just 5 hr allowed. Good size, intelligent, extreme ground ball pitcher. 6 pitch arsenal. Endurance is a bit weak and only hits 89 on the gun. Still, if he puts up the type of numbers he has the last couple of seasons, he'll make it into the second round of the draft.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#10 Post by Matt »

Illinois Sky Chiefs

C Norihide Yamamoto - his numbers aren't spectacular over his three seasons, but they are boringly consistent for the most part. You can pretty much expect splits of .280/.340/.420/.760. Has some warning track power but will never be a bopper. Great skills behind the plate and strong work ethic. OSA thinks more highly of his batting abilities than does my scouting department, and I'm inclined to agree based on the numbers. Will not hit for power, but could be a very solid hitter who hits for a decent average and plays some great defense. He'll likely go towards the middle or latter half of the first day of the draft if he puts up another season in line with his career numbers.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by John »

I'll pipe up and say I'm reading everything you're writing with great interest. You know what would be a really nice new feature (albeit a low priority one)? It'd be cool if there were periodic offseason reports from feeder leagues telling us about the development with this youngster or that one. That's one thing that bugs me about the current setup; with so much going on in the universe it can be easy to lose track of those leagues that aren't currently in play. I'll admit I haven't browsed over to the feeder leagues for awhile. I want to have a reason to go there even when there aren't games being played. While I don't expect this to happen in OOTP 10, maybe it's something we'll see develop down the line.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Matt
VIP
VIP

#12 Post by Matt »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:I'll pipe up and say I'm reading everything you're writing with great interest. You know what would be a really nice new feature (albeit a low priority one)? It'd be cool if there were periodic offseason reports from feeder leagues telling us about the development with this youngster or that one. That's one thing that bugs me about the current setup; with so much going on in the universe it can be easy to lose track of those leagues that aren't currently in play. I'll admit I haven't browsed over to the feeder leagues for awhile. I want to have a reason to go there even when there aren't games being played. While I don't expect this to happen in OOTP 10, maybe it's something we'll see develop down the line.
I like to go through the other leagues when time allows just to keep acquainted with players who may someday be available. Some of my favorites:

C Tony "whitey" Carmona - Aguidilla Roadrunners - 22 - who wouldn't like to have "Whitey"? Scouts off the charts, with great intangibles. About the only knock is his throwing arm, but this guy has Mike Piazza like projections. And he doesn't run, he waddles. But he can waddle on those roundtrippers all he wants. I expect an intense bidding war for this guy if he ever hits the open market.

2b Jose Gonzalez - 29 - Azua Zafiros Blanco - what a table setter, would be a monster #2 or even #3 hitter.

3b Cesar Colon - 19 - Leon Zapateros - hit 17 hr as a 16yr old, 14 as a 17 yr old, and 20 as an 18 yr old. Will not even reach his 20th birthday before the next Mexican League season is completed, and could have more than 70 hr to his credit. He may never hit for a great average, but his power is off the charts, and he is nowhere near reaching his full potential.

ss Cesar "Pepi" Castillo - 27 - Nauculpan Cafe Tacvbas - consider this guy a souped up version of Ernest Mathis. Great defense, big size, good power, good batting eye. Some speed, good intangibles, does the little things well. Project his numbes to PEBA and your probably looking at a .255-.260 hitter, .340 to .350 obp, 20 hr, 75 rbi. Will steal some bases. With that type of defense he will be a plus.

SP Manuel "Beast" Ramirez - 25 - Nezawhatever Coyotes (Could we have picked some cities with names easier to spell??) -southpaw with impeccable control, hits 95 on the gun, and dominates a hitters league. This guy is a stud if he ever gets to PEBA. Pay whatever the price, stick him at the front of your rotation and watch the wins pile up.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#13 Post by Matt »

Indiana Big Daddies

Sp Kevin McDonald - Does not scout well, and doesn't throw hard. His endurance is weak, his intangibles are questionable. So what to like? 61% groundballs, and is somehow effective despite the fact that he seems to have nothing going for him. 6-1 2.84 in 12 starts last season. 11-6 3.11 career, with a nearly 3.5 to 1 k/w ratio. If he continues his consistent production, he could leave the board on the first day, say 4th/5th rd.

3b Scott Morris - production and playing time have gone down each season, but hard to figure out why. Stilll has a .329 career avg and .413 obp in 72 games and 210 at bats. Would really love to seem him get full time playing time this season. His defense is very good for the hot corner, and his intangibles are very good as well. My scouts project a decent contact hitter with slightly below average power. OSA scouts love the guy and see him as a stud. His playing time may determine how high he goes in the draft, but in any case hard to see him dropping past the early part of the third round.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#14 Post by Matt »

Iowa Archers

LF Phillip Jeffries - doesn't scout especially well other than in the power department where he is a bit above average. His defense is weak and his mediocre speed is nothing to get excited about. Has decent intangibles, and his numbers took a nice step forward last season. Hit .292 with .388 obp, 9 hr and 35 rbi. Another season like that will probably see him elevate his stock into the first half of the first day.

CL Alberto Flores - wont be available until next season, but if his last two seasons improve upon or even match his first two seasons, he will be a first round closer in the 2011 draft. Huge southpaw, he hits 99 on the gun. Strong work ethic. Career stats, 2.56 era, 70.1 ip, 1.04 whip, 18 bb, 92 k.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#15 Post by Matt »

Louisville High Fives

SP Martin "Sawmill" Francisco - Hits 94 on the gun, strong work ethic, great endurance. 63% groundballs. Presently scouts as a bottom of the rotation type, but the numbers say otherwise. Career numbers 11-8, 2.89, 1.15, 171 ip, 41 w, 236 k. Missed final 8 weeks of last season, only getting 6 starts last year, so will have to see how he bounces back this season. If he is in the ballpark of the career numbers, he goes no later than middle of the 2nd round, maybe sooner.

3b Willie Bennett - the Lakewood, New Jersey native has not been getting playing time the last two seasons, but what little he has been on the field has been impressive. Consider the eye popping .462/.571/.692 splits during limited at bats last season. Despite a strong arm, his defense is weak and would better be suited to first base. Intangibles are okay, and has great leadership ability. Scouts to potentially be a bottom tier PEBA level player, but a hunch says the numbers in limited at bats might be pointing to something more. Would love to see him get full time duty this season to really get a handle on what he might become. Will remain fairly high on my radar.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”