2009 SEASON AWARDS DISCUSSION BOARD

Cole
All-Star
All-Star

Re: 2009 SEASON AWARDS DISCUSSION BOARD

#16 Post by Cole »

@Nuttmeggers: I feel like voting based off fielding percentage alone would be like giving MVP to the guy with most RBIs. I respect the fact that Berry catches for some awesome pitchers all the while not slacking off and being outstanding defensively. Sousa...well...
Well, what? You got all the numbers I have, and can make any decision you like. I knew Sousa wasn't obvious choice initially that is why I wanted to market him some. But after looking at if further, and letting everyone know what I came up with... it is an even easier choice to me at this point in the season. I am honestly surprised I haven't got one vote in his favor.

How you equate RBIs and fielding percentage is beyond me...
@Featherheads: I think for the writing contest, you should do a statistical analysis of fielding between Berry and Sousa
I think there is enough here, but if I can't think of anything else to write then maybe.
@Featherheads: By the way I think Sousa's lone error in over 1500 innings the past 3 years combined is pretty impressive.
The voting will be for '2009 All-Leather'! Not 'last 3 seasons All-Leather' (which we wasn't in the PEBA).... You guys got to be kidding! What is with this bias? I do not really expect a fair vote on anything if this is how you guys assess the Badger's things. Cause I love the fact that everyone can vote freely however you please, but the reasoning is a little ridiculous. I say that because you don't get into this unless you are a baseball fan, and you guys don't sound the part. Sorry guys, just calling it how I see it :-x
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Badgers

#17 Post by Badgers »

Badgers wrote:
@Nuttmeggers: I feel like voting based off fielding percentage alone would be like giving MVP to the guy with most RBIs. I respect the fact that Berry catches for some awesome pitchers all the while not slacking off and being outstanding defensively. Sousa...well...
Well, what? You got all the numbers I have, and can make any decision you like. I knew Sousa wasn't obvious choice initially that is why I wanted to market him some. But after looking at if further, and letting everyone know what I came up with... it is an even easier choice to me at this point in the season. I am honestly surprised I haven't got one vote in his favor.

How you equate RBIs and fielding percentage is beyond me...
@Featherheads: I think for the writing contest, you should do a statistical analysis of fielding between Berry and Sousa
I think there is enough here, but if I can't think of anything else to write then maybe.
@Featherheads: By the way I think Sousa's lone error in over 1500 innings the past 3 years combined is pretty impressive.
The voting will be for '2009 All-Leather'! Not 'last 3 seasons All-Leather' (which we wasn't in the PEBA).... You guys got to be kidding! What is with this bias? I do not really expect a fair vote on anything if this is how you guys assess the Badger's things. Cause I love the fact that everyone can vote freely however you please, but the reasoning is a little ridiculous. I say that because you don't get into this unless you are a baseball fan, and you guys don't sound the part. Sorry guys, just calling it how I see it :-x
Unfortunately I don't buy the reasoning that runners are scared to run against Sousa, and do not hold it against anyone else for having more attempts on them.
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#18 Post by Cole »

Unfortunately I don't buy the reasoning that runners are scared to run against Sousa, and do not hold it against anyone else for having more attempts on them.
I completely disagree. I am sure maybe someone else can explain, but allow me. Check the amount of SBA other catchers who have about the same number innings or even a less more in Sousa's case. You will see a drastic difference between Sousa and other catchers in the fact that Sousa has SIGNIFICANTLY less. What do you think explains this? I do not think he is good friends with the base runners, or Kalamazoo basepaths are longer. What do you think? I'll tell one thing...the opposing teams have no reason to be nice to Sousa and the Badgers. If you look at what I told you, then glance at any scout's assessment of Jose's defense then you will understand.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by klewis »

I actually haven't made my mind on who I would vote for All-Leather yet. I haven't looked at the other catchers in the league to compare. Yes the voting will be based on 2009. I just wanted to applaud Sousa for his relatively error-free catching. So that was meant as a compliment rather than patronizing :shock:

Badgers wrote: The voting will be for '2009 All-Leather'! Not 'last 3 seasons All-Leather' (which we wasn't in the PEBA).... You guys got to be kidding! What is with this bias? I do not really expect a fair vote on anything if this is how you guys assess the Badger's things. Cause I love the fact that everyone can vote freely however you please, but the reasoning is a little ridiculous. I say that because you don't get into this unless you are a baseball fan, and you guys don't sound the part. Sorry guys, just calling it how I see it :-x
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#20 Post by Cole »

I think this is great by the way and I hope some other team has a player they want to advertize. One question I do have is the Royal Raker more like the MVP or Silver Slugger? If its an MVP, then I am SL Arnold and IL Crocker (if he stays healthy).
Last edited by Cole on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#21 Post by Cole »

I actually haven't made my mind on who I would vote for All-Leather yet. I haven't looked at the other catchers in the league to compare. Yes the voting will be based on 2009. I just wanted to applaud Sousa for his relatively error-free catching. So that was meant as a compliment rather than patronizing :shock:

Badgers wrote:

I must have skipped the word 'lone' in your post, my apologies :?
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Badgers

#22 Post by Badgers »

Badgers wrote:
I completely disagree. I am sure maybe someone else can explain, but allow me. Check the amount of SBA other catchers who have about the same number innings or even a less more in Sousa's case. You will see a drastic difference between Sousa and other catchers in the fact that Sousa has SIGNIFICANTLY less. What do you think explains this? I do not think he is good friends with the base runners, or Kalamazoo basepaths are longer. What do you think? I'll tell one thing...the opposing teams have no reason to be nice to Sousa and the Badgers. If you look at what I told you, then glance at any scout's assessment of Jose's defense then you will understand.

One reason would be that your starting pitching has allowed 235 runs (excluding your worst SP of the 6 listed) while Aurora's has only allowed 172 runs. They don't need to run against you because they are scoring enough runs as is. Against Aurora, they need to run more to even have a chance to score.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#23 Post by John »

Badgers wrote:One question I do have is the Royal Raker more like the MVP or Silver Slugger? If its an MVP, then I am SL Arnold and IL Crocker (if he stays healthy).
The Royal Raker goes to the best hitter in each league. It's solely a hitting-based award.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#24 Post by Cole »

One reason would be that your starting pitching has allowed 235 runs (excluding your worst SP of the 6 listed) while Aurora's has only allowed 172 runs. They don't need to run against you because they are scoring enough runs as is. Against Aurora, they need to run more to even have a chance to score.
You can vote as you please. But your fighting a battle you can't win. The opposition isn't scoring enough to win consistently figuring we have a .596 winning percentage. So really they should be running more, but aren't. If you read my last reply to your previous thread you'll know why I think this happening. But things could change over the course of the season but to Sousa's acclaim he has been really, really consistent manning the dish. I am not sure what your talking about in terms of 6th listed my team's ERA is 3rd in the SL at 3.84. Sousa doesn't usually play versus lefties where we do well with a .716 winning percentage.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#25 Post by Cole »

The Royal Raker goes to the best hitter in each league. It's solely a hitting-based award.
Thanks
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#26 Post by John »

Badgers wrote:You can vote as you please. But your fighting a battle you can't win.
Really? But if he (and, presumably, everyone else) can vote as he pleases - and he pleases to not vote for Sousa - how precisely is he incapable of winning? Seems to me that if he backs his position convincingly enough and other share his point of view, he indeed could win.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Badgers

#27 Post by Badgers »

Badgers wrote:
You can vote as you please. But your fighting a battle you can't win. The opposition isn't scoring enough to win consistently figuring we have a .596 winning percentage. So really they should be running more, but aren't. If you read my last reply to your previous thread you'll know why I think this happening. But things could change over the course of the season but to Sousa's acclaim he has been really, really consistent manning the dish. I am not sure what your talking about in terms of 6th listed my team's ERA is 3rd in the SL at 3.84. Sousa doesn't usually play versus lefties where we do well with a .716 winning percentage.

Actually, I will win this, if I may quote someone, "A particular event may be infinitesimally probable, but the probability is always greater than zero." Unless Sousa kicks it up a notch, meaning he maintains his caught stealing % with an increased amount of attempts, then he will not be getting my vote. If I crafted a team of guys who could field well, I'd probably be checking out their batting stats as well because I do want to win the game.
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#28 Post by Cole »

@Borealis: Seems to me that if he backs his position convincingly enough and other share his point of view, he indeed could win.
@Nuttmeggers: If I crafted a team of guys who could field well, I'd probably be checking out their batting stats as well because I do want to win the game.
His flawed argument is all laid out in this post, and should do him no favors. Unless there is going to be a special on Shady Sundaes around voting time. And we are voting All-Leather which I presume is for fielding not all-around player or who you want to start a team with. Everyone can vote how they please. I just wanted to make sure to plead Jose's case and support it.

I think Sousa helps me win games that is why he is in the lineup. And if he limits the other teams scoring then I think its a smart move. Go Badgers!
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#29 Post by Cole »

Unless Sousa kicks it up a notch, meaning he maintains his caught stealing % with an increased amount of attempts...
I hope teams choose to run freely against him. It would be a fun experiment...anyone up to the challenge? I got the Codgers, Warriors, and Cyclones coming up...just adjust your strategies accordingly if you want to test him :D . But be careful over the course of his career he has thrown out over 47% of runners.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#30 Post by Tyler »

Actually, after reading further posts in this thread, I think I'll have to spend a lot more time studying the catchers before casting my "fake" vote at this point in the season.

I think David is right about teams not stealing on Sousa - he's got 100 in all three C ratings according to my scouts. As evidence for David's theory, Lorenzo Vega (Omaha) is stolen on the most, and my scout rates him around 40 in all categories.

As far as CERA is concerned, that's been shown to be useless in real-life baseball, so I don't value it in OOTP (can't remember a good link for it, but I'm sure it's in BP or The Hardball Times somewhere).
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”