2009 SEASON AWARDS DISCUSSION BOARD

Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

Re: 2009 SEASON AWARDS DISCUSSION BOARD

#76 Post by Maulers »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:Interesting that you mention defense; I've been reading lately how there's a resurgence of MLB teams placing value on defense. The tide had turned so heavily to valuing offense above all else with the dawning of the Steroids Era. I don't know if it's a backlash against that or what, but you do notice some of these stick-over-glove types like Adam Dunn, Bobby Abreu and Manny Ramirez are having trouble getting what they want in this market.
True enough, although I think that with each of those guys there are other (non-defensive) reasons why they haven't signed. And Abrue isn't a bad right fielder - he's got a great arm, at least. This alone made him a significant upgrade over Gary Sheffield, who refused to lift his glove over his shoulder in order to catch a ball. Ah, good times: when I think back to the Yankee outfield that featured Matsui in left (who looked like he was trying to catch balls with a butterfly net), the remains of Bernie Williams in center, and Sheffield in right, it gives this Indians fan a warm glow all over.
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”