2009 SEASON AWARDS DISCUSSION BOARD

Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#1 Post by Cole »

You think one of your players might be flying underneath the radar??!! Let everyone know here!
Last edited by Cole on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Make Your Players' Case for Awards Here

#2 Post by Cole »

I started this post to plead the case for C Jose Sousa for the All-Leather team. I was obliged to let you know, because making a quick glimpse you might miss his effectiveness. But first off though his fielding stats are awe inspiring, and you can check for yourself on his player card. But most of you might think him an after thought because of his number of pick offs and CS%. But the explanation is easy everyone is scared to run on him. In 614 innings so far this season (he has 9th most total chances), he has only seen 21 stolen base attempts 8-o ! He has thrown out 5 of them for a 23.8 thrown out percentage, which shows that only 16 successful bases have been stolen against him all season and he has a fielding percentage of .998. So be a responsible voter and select C Jose Sousa to the 2009 All-Leather team
Last edited by Cole on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

Re: 2009 SEASON AWARDS DISCUSSION BOARD

#3 Post by Cole »

My leading candidates for 2009 Royal Raker are:

IL

RF Gregory Arnold (GLO)

SL
1B Ramon Flores (FAR)
*close second for CF George Crocker but he has missed some games
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Tyler »

I'd say right now it's

IL
C Jeff Cline (leads the league in AVG, SLG, OPS, RC/27, and VORP. I'd say that's a slam dunk)

SL
1B Ramon Flores
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by klewis »

I'd also vote for Cline as of this moment. His batting average blows everyone else out of the water. He has better run production than Arnold too. Aside from hitting, he has also made only 1 error playing catcher! He is the best hitter in the IL with a MVP-like season.

As for the SL, I like Pat Lilly. Him and Flores are very comparable. Flores probably has slightly better numbers but Lilly gets bonus points for playing on a winning team :)
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#6 Post by Cole »

I think Arnold is much more valuable to his team, and would blow Cline away is RBIs with his power numbers if he had a stronger supporting cast.

Who does everyone have for Catcher on the All-Leather....it should be Sousa, all bias aside.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Reg »

IL - C Cline of course :)....while granted Cline has a more talented supporting cast, Arnold doesn't even have the most RBI's on his own team...

SL- Ramon Flores...though I agree that Lily is a strong canidate as well
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Tyler »

Badgers wrote:Who does everyone have for Catcher on the All-Leather....it should be Sousa, all bias aside.
I'd go for Wilson Berry in the SL.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

Coal Sox wrote:I'd go for Wilson Berry in the SL.
I dunno. Berry started out on fire defensively and has been regressing as the season progresses. Nobody could run on him at first, but recently they've begun to kind of run wild. Too bad we can't see fielding splits by month, but I definitely think the trend has been downward. Now maybe he'll pick it back up in the second half, and if so then I would agree he'd be worth consideration. He'll have to do better than he's doing right now, though.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Badgers

#10 Post by Badgers »

Coal Sox wrote:
Badgers wrote:Who does everyone have for Catcher on the All-Leather....it should be Sousa, all bias aside.
I'd go for Wilson Berry in the SL.

Regardless of what John says, Berry would get my vote too.
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Cole »

WILSON BERRY!!! WHAT!!! :grin: :grin:

Read my post earlier in this thread. In 707 innings runners have ran on Mr. Berry 67 times, in which he throws out 27% of them. I can not reiterate enough that in 614.2 IP runners have only attempted to steal on Jose Sousa 21 times!

I calculated a little statistic that illustrates why Sousa should be the overwhelming choice for All-Leather. I used their innings played respectively, and the number of runners who successfully stole on each of them to come up with the number of stolen bases allowed per nine innings. Here are the results:

SB Allowed per 9 IP

C William Berry = .623674

C Jose Sousa = .234451

That is a huge difference. Over the course of a season Wilson Berry will allow 63 more stolen bases! So if you take in account that very descriptive statistic (it takes into account throwing ability and the intimidation factor) , and notice that they have equal fielding percentages (.998) while Sousa also has half the passed balls...then I think you should now all see who the winner should be. I would like to re-tally the votes. No haterade allowed :wink: .

Let me take this chance to remind you that any manager of any team can plead their case for any player right here!
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Badgers

#12 Post by Badgers »

Badgers wrote:WILSON BERRY!!! WHAT!!! :grin: :grin:

Read my post earlier in this thread. In 707 innings runners have ran on Mr. Berry 67 times, in which he throws out 27% of them. I can not reiterate enough that in 614.2 IP runners have only attempted to steal on Jose Sousa 21 times!

I calculated a little statistic that illustrates why Sousa should be the overwhelming choice for All-Leather. I used their innings played respectively, and the number of runners who successfully stole on each of them to come up with the number of stolen bases allowed per nine innings. Here are the results:

SB Allowed per 9 IP

C Jose Sousa = .234451

That is a huge difference. Over the course of a season Wilson Berry will allow 63 more stolen bases! So if you take in account that very descriptive statistic (it takes into account throwing ability and the intimidation factor) , and notice that they have equal fielding percentages (.998) while Sousa also has half the passed balls...then I think you should now all see who the winner should be. I would like to re-tally the votes. No haterade allowed :wink: .

Let me take this chance to remind you that any manager of any team can plead their case for any player right here!
I actually like to factor in CERA, PO, and A into the decision, I am sure you know that Berry beats the crap out of Sousa in those categories, right? :mrgreen:
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Cole »

I actually like to factor in CERA, PO, and A into the decision, I am sure you know that Berry beats the crap out of Sousa in those categories, right?
HA HA..lol, your funny, my advice is to use fielding percentage. That's like saying your voting for someone for playing more. CERA isn't really a defensive stat, all it shows is that Aurora has the best pitching staff. Were you joking, or were you serious? What do you think of SB Allowed per 9 IP? Does anyone vote like the Nuttmeggers because maybe I got things mixed up?
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Badgers

#14 Post by Badgers »

Badgers wrote:
I actually like to factor in CERA, PO, and A into the decision, I am sure you know that Berry beats the crap out of Sousa in those categories, right?
HA HA..lol, your funny, my advice is to use fielding percentage. That's like saying your voting for someone for playing more. CERA isn't really a defensive stat, all it shows is that Aurora has the best pitching staff. Were you joking, or were you serious? What do you think of SB Allowed per 9 IP? Does anyone vote like the Nuttmeggers because maybe I got things mixed up?

I feel like voting based off fielding percentage alone would be like giving MVP to the guy with most RBIs. I respect the fact that Berry catches for some awesome pitchers all the while not slacking off and being outstanding defensively. Sousa...well... 8-o
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by klewis »

I think for the writing contest, you should do a statistical analysis of fielding between Berry and Sousa :grin:

By the way I think Sousa's lone error in over 1500 innings the past 3 years combined is pretty impressive.
Badgers wrote:WILSON BERRY!!! WHAT!!! :grin: :grin:

SB Allowed per 9 IP

C Jose Sousa = .234451

Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”