Draft day project

Matt
VIP
VIP

Draft day project

#1 Post by Matt »

I want to write a complete review of this years draft. Hopefully I can get some input from other owners along the way.

Here's what I am looking for.

For any owner who wants to participate and contribute some quotes or thoughts, keep some notes and send them to me post draft. Please wait until the completion of the draft to send me your entire input.

ideally, looking for a lot of different input. Some thoughts about each of your own selections along the way would help. Quotes, praise, or criticism of other teams selections would really help me spice the articles up.

When I have collected all the notes, I will write as complete a review of the entire draft as possible. Most of the work on this article will be done over the holidays, so don't expect it finished for a few weeks. I am hoping to get a lot of input, a lot of spicy quotes, some zingers directed at Tempe (or in the case of Omaha, at Canton), some reviews of players abilities and quick scouting reports, etc. I am going to cover every pick in the draft, from beginning to end.

I really want to make this an epic draft review for our historical records, so as much input as you can give would really be appreciated.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: draft day project

#2 Post by John »

You've got my full support on this. I'll make sure to point out this thread in my next mailing. You can count on receiving a report from the Borealis!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Tyler »

I too will be sure to take as many notes as possible! :D
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#4 Post by Coqui »

Remind me that day and I will gladly help.
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Cole »

That is a mighty task. I will most likely write an article concerning my team's draft, and you can take from that whatever you need ;-D
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Reg »

I am pretty sure if I end the day with Uolevi Salmi in my system it will be a sucess, so far he has batted 1.000 and wowed everyone with his Finnish charm 8-o
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Matt
VIP
VIP

#7 Post by Matt »

Still looking for anyone's input. So far I have recieved one. Thanks Canton.

I am working on the recap as time allows, though the bulk of the work will be done over the holidays. Expect it to get posted right around the first of the year.

At this point I am concentrating mostly on recapping players in the lower and mid rounds, skipping around to some of the more notable ones that I remember.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Tyler »

Don't worry, you'll get my input.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Reg »

i should finish my last school paper on tuesday and be able to get you some input by thursday
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by klewis »

You should get my input tonight. Finally got a chance to get on the computer after a day's worth of work.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#11 Post by Matt »

Really starting to get some good stuff coming in here. Keep it coming guys.

It will take me a few weeks to complete it, but rest assured I am hard at work putting as much time as I can into recapping all 466 selections, with analysis of their talent, stats, etc, as well as some other good stuff. There is praise, criticisim, quotes, you name it. We already have some teams developing some very good and very fun storylines from some of this collaboration, so expect some really neat articles in the coming weeks from some other owners as well.

Hoping everyone will contribute at least a little about thier recent draft selections. Who knows, maybe we can develop another storyline or two.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#12 Post by Matt »

There is really some good stuff still coming in. Keep it up guys.

The one area where I could really use some help is with quotes and stuff to give this some life.

Here is an example of the format I am using.

2 33 SS Randy Blake San Antonio
ANALYSIS: For a team desperate to improve their minor leagues, this selection was probably not the way to do it. Clearly the Calzones GM is gambling here. Blake projects to be a great defensive infielder, but his offensive skills seem way too limited to have been taken this early. He does have a great makeup and he's a born leader, but his numbers and playing time decreased each of the last two seasons. He is a switchhitter, and he shows a decent eye at the plate. He has meager speed. The Calzones must believe they know something that everyone else doesn't, because Blake was hardly on anyone's radar this early in the day.
REACTION: "The braincramp pick of the day to this point." PEBA on XM draft expert Del Quinn.

In the reaction section I am putting quotes, or describing scenes. But coming up with creative quotes or descriptions for 466 players is quite a monstrous task. You can contribute a quote to anyone you like. Or describe a scene that might have played out in the draft room, such as when the Calzones GM fired a stack of index cards in the general direction of the Aurora draft table. Your quotes can be praise, criticism, you name it. This is where I would really love some help. Everything everyone has sent so far has been great, and I am keeping up with it all as best I can.

Thanks again to all who have contributed, it's been all very helpful. Just keep it coming guys.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by John »

I just want to mention that I got word about one storyline that's developing from this project, and it's just dynamite. You guys are going to love it when it comes to light. It's another collaborative effort similar to the Armando Zamora incident that developed thanks to WV and KEN. Similar to what happened there, this may become an actual in-game article, and I may begin doing more of those as the complexity and creativity of our articles rises.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#14 Post by Cole »

I was thinking and San Antonio...it might be easier for you to hand out draft grades and short explanations like ESPN and Sports Illustrated
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Matt
VIP
VIP

#15 Post by Matt »

It would be easier, but not as much fun.

What would be cool is that after I get the entire report out there, if someone else could take my reviews of the players, formulate thier own opinions, and then do the team by team synopsis and grades.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”