Laredo Sports Authority Files Lawsuit Against Stadium Builde

Matt
VIP
VIP

Laredo Sports Authority Files Lawsuit Against Stadium Builde

#1 Post by Matt »

By Michael Atwell, Laredo Midday Times

Laredo Sports Authority Files Lawsuit Against Stadium Builder

Early this morning, the Laredo Sports Authority filed a lawsuit against the builder of Elysian Field, Wesuk Inc, as well as it's parent company KBR, and Halliburton. KBR is a former subsidiary of Halliburton and was part of Halliburton at the time the stadium building contract was negotiated. In addition, 187 subcontractors, sub subcontractors, and sub sub subcontractors were also named as parties to the litigation. Even some guy simply known as "Bob the Builder" has been named as party to the lawsuit.
The LSA contends in it's filing that Wesuk failed to meet at least 3700 conditions of the original contract to build the ballpark. It also contends that poor planning and poor design, as well as outright negligence by Wesuk has led to the stadium being nearly unusable after just two seasons of play.
"We believe we can prove, quite easily, that Wesuk Inc was, at the very least, incompetent in their design, planning and building of Elysian Field," stated LSA attorney Richard Head. "In some matters, we fully believe we can prove fraud, and that is what we intend to do."
In the suit, the LSA asks for complete repayment of all costs associated with building the ballpark, as well as repairs due to flood damage. In addition, the LSA is asking that Wesuk Inc be held liable for the cost of demolition of the ballpark. If the LSA is successful, damages against Wesuk could approach nearly $750 million dollars.
When asked to comment, Wesuk Inc attorney I.R. Baboon called the suit "totally without merit". He refused to take any more questions from reporters.
One of the big questions the suit raises is what happened to nearly $100 million dollars that was allocated by the federal government for flood control along the Rio Grande in the southwest part of the city. Auditors at both the state and federal insist the money was allocated to the Army Corps of Engineers, who, in a joint project with Wesuk Inc, were to build a series of spillways to prevent the type of flooding that has plagued the ballpark. Both Wesuk Inc and the Army Corps of Engineers insist that the other party was responsible for the work, and both have denied receiving payment. Auditors are at a loss to explain where the money went, other than to note "it's gone".
Opening arguments in the case are scheduled for late March. Among those expected to be called to testify by the LSA are former vice-president Dick Cheney. When this reporter called the Cheney house for comment about the subpoena to testify, the former vice president abruptly stated that he would not testify because he was a member of the legislative branch. When I corrected the former vice president and told him that he was no longer the vice president, he politely told me to go EXPLETIVE DELETED myself.

Return to “League News and Articles”