Tampa Bay

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Alan Ehlers

Tampa Bay

#1 Post by Alan Ehlers »

What does everyone think, can they recover from this devastating loss
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#2 Post by Tyler »

Yes.

But boy, that sucked.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Alan Ehlers

Tampa Bay

#3 Post by Alan Ehlers »

I think what helps is they have a day off, plus they are going home. If Tampa bay loses removing Kazmir will be the turning point
Alan Ehlers

Also

#4 Post by Alan Ehlers »

The Red Sox staged the second greatest comeback in post season history with the first being the A's in the 1929 World Series against the Cubs, the A's were down 8-0 bottom of 7th in game 4 and put up a ten spot to win 10-8
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by John »

I agree with Tyler that they can and will recover. Unlike last year, Boston has to travel on the road to play the final two games of the series. That will make for an uphill battle for the Sox.

I will also agree with Tyler that, boy, that did indeed suck. :-P
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Denny »

Yep. :-P

I think the Rays are all young enough that it won't really affect them much going forward, hopefully.

It better not, anyway. I hate the Boston Red Sox more than any other team in professional sports. :evil:
Badgers

#7 Post by Badgers »

Codgers wrote:Yep. :-P

I think the Rays are all young enough that it won't really affect them much going forward, hopefully.

It better not, anyway. I hate the Boston Red Sox more than any other team in professional sports. :evil:
They are my most hated team too. I live in Boston, and being here has shown me that they have no REAL fans. Liking the Red Sox is a status symbol of sorts. No excitement from fans outside of the playoffs and Yankee games. Such a shame.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#8 Post by Matt »

historicly, teams that suffer these typfs of defeats, either close to moving on to next rd, or to winning ws itself, respond poorly. angels in 86, red sox 86 ws, giants a few yrs ago. many more examples out there. history tells me, red sox in 7
Sandgnats (Bill)

#9 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Nutmeggers wrote:They are my most hated team too. I live in Boston, and being here has shown me that they have no REAL fans. Liking the Red Sox is a status symbol of sorts. No excitement from fans outside of the playoffs and Yankee games. Such a shame.
Hey Patrick,
I am curious on this point. Please indulge me! I have heard from Boston locals that the whole mood of downtown is affected by the result of every Red Sox game. Your statement claims the opposite. Please elaborate or did I just misinterpret what you said?

Thanks!
Badgers

#10 Post by Badgers »

Sandgnats (Bill) wrote:
Nutmeggers wrote:They are my most hated team too. I live in Boston, and being here has shown me that they have no REAL fans. Liking the Red Sox is a status symbol of sorts. No excitement from fans outside of the playoffs and Yankee games. Such a shame.
Hey Patrick,
I am curious on this point. Please indulge me! I have heard from Boston locals that the whole mood of downtown is affected by the result of every Red Sox game. Your statement claims the opposite. Please elaborate or did I just misinterpret what you said?

Thanks!
There are lots of blue collar guys that I will pass on the street who I hear talking about past games or upcoming ones. I'll give some of those guys credit for being fans though I haven't had conversations with any of them, but using my good judgment they seem OK. The other "fans" in town consist of people who like to boost their social status by going to games. Just by stating that you are going to "the game" people "get jealous". Lots of people don't watch games until the playoffs. There is too much stuff I could say. You really have to be here to understand, but you also have to be a sports fan yourself. I watched probably 90% of the Indians' games this year and each one invoked emotion from me or some sort of memorable moment. Do you think that any Red Sox "fan" remembered that Lackey almost no-hit them at Fenway this year? Nope, they probably didn't watch the game. I was recently with a group of Red Sox "fans during game 6 of the ALCS. Guess who had to remind them that the game was on TV. Yep, the Indians fan. It is unfortunate for them that my hatred for the Red Sox outweighs their fanaticism. I went to a Red Sox/Tribe game at the end of the season at Fenway. People around me didn't know what team the Red Sox were playing. I probably didn't answer your question, but I am willing to bet that your source(s) said what they said so that you would be surprised at how much "dedication/attachment" this town has to the Red Sox. If you ask specific questions I could answer them without ranting if you wish. :twisted: :grin:
Badgers

#11 Post by Badgers »

Nutmeggers wrote:
Sandgnats (Bill) wrote:
Hey Patrick,

Thanks!
There are lots of blue collar guys that I will pass on the street who I hear talking about past games or upcoming ones. I'll give some of those guys credit for being fans though I haven't had conversations with any of them, but using my good judgment they seem OK. The other "fans" in town consist of people who like to boost their social status by going to games. Just by stating that you are going to "the game" people "get jealous". Lots of people don't watch games until the playoffs. There is too much stuff I could say. You really have to be here to understand, but you also have to be a sports fan yourself. I watched probably 90% of the Indians' games this year and each one invoked emotion from me or some sort of memorable moment. Do you think that any Red Sox "fan" remembered that Lackey almost no-hit them at Fenway this year? Nope, they probably didn't watch the game. I was recently with a group of Red Sox "fans during game 6 of the ALCS. Guess who had to remind them that the game was on TV. Yep, the Indians fan. It is unfortunate for them that my hatred for the Red Sox outweighs their fanaticism. I went to a Red Sox/Tribe game at the end of the season at Fenway. People around me didn't know what team the Red Sox were playing. I probably didn't answer your question, but I am willing to bet that your source(s) said what they said so that you would be surprised at how much "dedication/attachment" this town has to the Red Sox. If you ask specific questions I could answer them without ranting if you wish. :twisted: :grin:
Oh and John, if you read this, that post should count as writing. 8)
James Bowman

#12 Post by James Bowman »

Well, I suppose I should respond to this thread, as I am a Red Sox fan

And before the shoes are aimed at my forehead, I will say that I agree with Patrick’s observations of “Red Sox Nation” behaviorisms, mostly.

While I could certainly add my share of ignorant experiences I’ve had with my kin, I think Patrick painted that picture quite well.

As I’ve gotten older, and hopefully wiser, I’ve become more aware of this ignorant nature, that of Red Sox fanaticism. It is because of this, my ball-caps and t-shirts are collecting dust and forming wrinkles in my closet. I no longer enjoy watching games at a local bar. Quite simply, I try to avoid the "Nation" at all costs. I’m content following them in solitude, watching as many games as I can at home from mlb.tv.

Yet, sometimes I ask myself, what makes me better than them? Don’t you want to meet some people you can share the classic moments with? Don’t you want to discuss strategy, transactions or the next big prospect?

My girlfriend, who knew nothing of baseball whatsoever (all sports actually), started to watch them with me this season. While inquiries such as “what does pop fly mean?” or “what do those boxes mean?” (NESN displays a snapshot of what the scorecard would look like when a player is at-bat after the 5th inning or so) initially bugged the hell out of me, I realized it would be great to have somebody to share the moments with again. Through the course of the season, she probably watched about 50-60 games with me (she doesn’t live with me), and she is now, quite knowledgeable about most parts of the game, and the players. Her favorite player is Mike Lowell (and its not because of the quality player he is either). She knows who Theo Epstein is. While she enjoyed the pure-hitting Manny displayed, she also realized what a clown he was (the high five thing really drove it home). She thinks Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy are some of the best commentators in baseball (mlb.tv has local broadcasts, and in my opinion NESN's are some of the most un-biased to be found). She even had the insight to have cold pricklies at the sight of Jason Giambi.

While I realize, with the team’s recent success, that this is indeed a growing monster, I’m glad that she has become interested, and it has certainly helped fuel my passion. But what I also realize, witnessing a virgin to baseball shed tears at the end of one short year, is that ultimately, just being a fan of the game is what matters most. We are both rooting for the Rays in the World Series, and I'm proud to say that we lost to a great team.

I say to all you, remember that this happens with all teams, and all sports. It’s human nature. Some of the best (and conversely, the worst) conversations I’ve had, have been with the guy getting splinters with me at Fenway.

I guess the point I’m trying to make, is don’t hate the Red Sox because of this monstrosity. Don’t even let it get to you, it’ll all be gone in due time. If you don’t like Kevin Youklis’ batting stance, great. If you don’t like that our payroll is double the league average, fine. But if it's not the former, well, isn't that hypocritical?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by John »

That was an exceedingly well-written response. It certainly gave me something to think about. We often hate on the teams with the high payrolls, but you're absolutely right; this, too, shall pass. Not to long ago the Indians were boasting one of the highest payrolls around and no one in town was complaining. So there is truth to what you say.

I also really liked your account of your girlfriend getting into baseball. Sharing your passions with the people you care about... I'm not sure there's a greater joy in life than that. I've been there myself and it's so rewarding not just because you now have someone new to talk baseball with but because you know that you're the reason behind this newfound interest. It's simultaneously flattering and humbling. I think it's great you were able to share your love of the game with your girlfriend.
Badgers

#14 Post by Badgers »

Statesmen wrote:Well, I suppose I should respond to this thread, as I am a Red Sox fan

And before the shoes are aimed at my forehead, I will say that I agree with Patrick’s observations of “Red Sox Nation” behaviorisms, mostly.

While I could certainly add my share of ignorant experiences I’ve had with my kin, I think Patrick painted that picture quite well.

As I’ve gotten older, and hopefully wiser, I’ve become more aware of this ignorant nature, that of Red Sox fanaticism. It is because of this, my ball-caps and t-shirts are collecting dust and forming wrinkles in my closet. I no longer enjoy watching games at a local bar. Quite simply, I try to avoid the "Nation" at all costs. I’m content following them in solitude, watching as many games as I can at home from mlb.tv.

Yet, sometimes I ask myself, what makes me better than them? Don’t you want to meet some people you can share the classic moments with? Don’t you want to discuss strategy, transactions or the next big prospect?

My girlfriend, who knew nothing of baseball whatsoever (all sports actually), started to watch them with me this season. While inquiries such as “what does pop fly mean?” or “what do those boxes mean?” (NESN displays a snapshot of what the scorecard would look like when a player is at-bat after the 5th inning or so) initially bugged the hell out of me, I realized it would be great to have somebody to share the moments with again. Through the course of the season, she probably watched about 50-60 games with me (she doesn’t live with me), and she is now, quite knowledgeable about most parts of the game, and the players. Her favorite player is Mike Lowell (and its not because of the quality player he is either). She knows who Theo Epstein is. While she enjoyed the pure-hitting Manny displayed, she also realized what a clown he was (the high five thing really drove it home). She thinks Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy are some of the best commentators in baseball (mlb.tv has local broadcasts, and in my opinion NESN's are some of the most un-biased to be found). She even had the insight to have cold pricklies at the sight of Jason Giambi.

While I realize, with the team’s recent success, that this is indeed a growing monster, I’m glad that she has become interested, and it has certainly helped fuel my passion. But what I also realize, witnessing a virgin to baseball shed tears at the end of one short year, is that ultimately, just being a fan of the game is what matters most. We are both rooting for the Rays in the World Series, and I'm proud to say that we lost to a great team.

I say to all you, remember that this happens with all teams, and all sports. It’s human nature. Some of the best (and conversely, the worst) conversations I’ve had, have been with the guy getting splinters with me at Fenway.

I guess the point I’m trying to make, is don’t hate the Red Sox because of this monstrosity. Don’t even let it get to you, it’ll all be gone in due time. If you don’t like Kevin Youklis’ batting stance, great. If you don’t like that our payroll is double the league average, fine. But if it's not the former, well, isn't that hypocritical?
I hate the monstrosity more than I do the team. But don't get me wrong, I f'ing hate Dustin PEDroia, Josh Beckett, etc. Some of those guys let the nation get to their head.

I don't know if I prefaced my rant or not, but I was certainly not talking about you when I wrote that. Most of your peers couldn't have strung together more than two coherent sentences about the Red Sox anyway. :grin:
Sandgnats (Bill)

#15 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

I guess we need to rename this thread, Boston! :grin:

Thanks for your input gents. Whether your comments are well received or not, it's always individually beneficial to share your feelings. So, we have PEBA forums to thank for our new found inner peace! Yeah right.

Anyway, I just was very curious as I have only run into Red Sox fans on two different occassions and I do not know enough about them to form an accurate idea about them in my head. That's what I was looking for with your responses.

The more detailed meeting I had with Boston Red Sox fans was at Wrigley maybe four years ago. It was a rare chance to see the Cubs play the Red Sox and for that reason I attended that day. My buddy, Michael, was being an idiot, doing his best to imitate the Boston accent. Despite the Bostonians probably wanting to pop him in the face, he struck up a conversation with them. There was about 5 of them and 4 of us Chicago locals and we began chatting about this and that. I LOVE baseball, so basically all of our conversation was in relation to this great sport. I asked them the typical stuff about the Red Sox-Yankee hatred and the general Boston feeling as it pertains to a Red Sawx game. The overwhelming feeling I receieved was that the Sox fans felt they were much, much more knowledgeable than the average Yankee fan. They told me that they would go to games between the great rivals and ask a Yankee fan who was playing in LF or who was starting the next day or two on the mound and the Yankee fans would respond with a 'deer in headlights' gaze. Additionally, the Bostonians let me know that Yankees fans are there to be seen or because it's cool to be at Yankee stadium-not because they loved baseball or knew much about the game. So, of course, my perception of Yankee fans wasn't the most flattering at that time. The Yankees are my most disliked team in MLB as well, so I'm sure subconciously I wanted to hear that news. Actually, one of my fantasies after Randy Johnson signed with Yankees a few years back(which infuriated me) was to be a randy Randy Johnson type of baseball player at that time and visit with 4 or 5 teams. Then, I would receive a $20 million offer(per year) from the Yanks and no other team offers would top $10 per year. I would then proceed to the Yanks front office and tell them that even though they offered twice as much as any other competitor, the only use for their offer I would have, is if I ran out of toilet paper. I then would tell them that I would much rather play for a team that teaches talent rather than purchases it and I would play for a year with any team for the league minimum rather to disgust myself and pitch for the Yankees. Of course, I'd tell them to f**k off before I left as well. :evil: (Thankfully I'm not that angry anymore)

Sorry, I'm babbling. Back to Red Sox fans conversation....
Basically the Red Sox fans told me what I wanted to hear and I believed it. I was caught up in praising Sox nation at that point in time becuase they were cool and seemed knowledgeable about the game. Until....
Later in the game I started talking about backups on their team and where they were playing in the past, etc. and they didn't have a response. They also didn't seem to know players that had played both for the Cubs and Red Sox. So, I had my doubts and that's why I asked for your interpretations here in this thread.

In conclusion, despite our hatred for other teams/team fanaticals, all fan bases have intelligent and ignorant baseball fans. Whether you're on the East Coast, West Coast, or the midwest, we're basically all the same. So, next time you hear/see your a bitter rivals fan acting like a huge jack ass, take it with a grain of salt. Remember, every human on earth can interpret the same message in an infinite number of ways, so let's realize that before we pass judgement. Even though, we may be rooting for opposite teams in a game, we both(hopefully) love the game of baseball!

So, celebrate baseball and
GO RAYS!

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”