Knights Welcome Their 2B of the Future: Terry Thorton

Alan Ehlers

Knights Welcome Their 2B of the Future: Terry Thorton

#1 Post by Alan Ehlers »

January 29, 2009
Samuel Beckett reporting for the Minimalist News

Tempe, AZ – Terry Thornton was all smiles as he was introduced to the Tempe media and stated that he cannot wait for the season to start. Thornton saw very little time playing last year and is excited that the second base job is his to lose. "My numbers do not reflect what I am capable of and this year Tempe will see what they paid for," proclaimed the 23-year-old. Thornton will most likely bat ninth, but Knights GM Chris Van Hauter has stated that he will lead off from time to time. Thornton had a long sit down with the GM and stated that, "(Van Hauter) told me not to listen to any detractors; all he wants is for me to catch the ball and steal a few bases. If I can do that, he does not care if I bat .200.” However, Thornton said that he can guarantee that he will steal 30 bases and bat at least .260. "I’m here to prove everyone wrong," Thornton promised, "and a lot of people will be eating crow by October." Thornton is thrilled to be on a team on the rise and believes Tempe can compete. The youngster claims he is, “…from the ‘old school’, which is the correct school in my opinion," and that good defense and pitching wins championships.

Gary Fisher, also acquired in the Thornton trade, arrived in Tempe today and met with the press, stating that Tempe will battle for a playoff spot. Fisher concluded that, "Thornton and I were brought here as the final pieces of the puzzle and we did not come over here to lose 90 games." When asked about the claim that Tempe made a bad move in trading for him, Fisher took it diplomatically. “I will let my pitching speak for me. I like Bill Taylor, and who knows? The way San Antonio is we might be pitching together by June.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tempe News and Notes:
  • Dean Bailey and Bryant Duncan will start the season at AAA and may be with the team as early as June.
  • Tempe is close to offering extensions to Miguel Lozano and Tomás Mora, who Van Hauter believes could be key components to a championship team.
  • Tempe announced its opening day starter. Chet Collins will be given the ball opening day in honor of the outstanding season he had last year. “Hopefully I can get our team on track from day one because I feel it is going to be a great season,” said Collins. Fisher will get the nod in game two and he is also excited about making people forget Taylor. Fisher and Collins are the numbers 1 and 2, but Tempe manager Cristián Vega has yet to decide on how the rest of the rotation will fill out. One thing is for sure: Tempe is loaded with some of the best young arms in the majors, and if the rotation comes around the Knights will be a very dangerous team.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#2 Post by Bill »

Congrats to Thornton, who found what has to be the only organization that isn't going to care if he bats .200. He must be thrilled.
Alan Ehlers

Willie Mays

#3 Post by Alan Ehlers »

Dorocher said the same thing to Willie Mays when he came up to build his confidence in 1951. And for the record Thornton is thrilled he is beside himself
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Hitmen »

Duluth, we poker players have a saying. Don't tap the glass. :grin:
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Bill »

I don't think anyone here, except maybe yourself, actually believes that Thornton and Mays are in any way comparable. Mays was a 20 year old coming up from AAA, where he had hit .477 in 35 games that year. Thornton is 23 and his OBP has never come closer than within 60 points of that mark at any level. Thornton no doubt feels exactly like Peter Minuit (there's no shame in needing to Google that), but it's probably time to stop comparing him to the legends of the game until he's actually done something.
Alan Ehlers

Lets see

#6 Post by Alan Ehlers »

I know the comparison , and I do not remember in Thorntons contract the island of Manhatten. You know maybe you should spend more time worrying about your team which only won 64 games last year and is not getting any younger, then mine. The point is that Thornton got a vote of confidence from the manager much like Mays and instead of whipping out obscure Dutchmen and meaningless stats maybe you should think outside the box
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Bill »

Duluth Warriors: 40% of the time, it works every time.
Alan Ehlers

Duluth

#8 Post by Alan Ehlers »

well whatever works for you
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Duane »

Warriors wrote:Congrats to Thornton, who found what has to be the only organization that isn't going to care if he bats .200. He must be thrilled.
As a team, Kentucky bats around .200 ... think .250-.260 lead the team last season
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Lets see

#10 Post by Denny »

Knights wrote:whipping out obscure Dutchmen
That isn't a euphemism for something else, I hope :-o

Return to “League News and Articles”