John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winter Leagues Wrapping Up Play

#1 Post by John »

Winter Leagues Wrapping Up Play
by Carlos Lugo, American Baseball Perspective
Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Winter League regular seasons have wrapped up and the championship series are currently underway. In the Liga Dominicana de Béisbol Invernal, Baní holds a 3 games to 1 edge over San Cristóbal in the best-of-9 Serie de Dominicana Final. A couple former PEBA players – 2B David Bell and 1B Juan Otero – have been leading the offensive charge for Baní.

Bell was released by the Canton Longshoremen on October 7th and signed a 2-year contract with the Depredadores del Peravia two days later. During the Serie de Dominicana Final, Bell is hitting .571 and has walked five times while striking out just twice. He has scored five runs, tied for most on the team. Bell, Canton’s 19th round selection in the Inaugural Draft, hit .255/.330/.371 with 16 HR in 247 games with the Longshoremen.

Otero was also selected by the Longshoremen in the Inaugural Draft (round 8 ). He was shipped to San Antonio at the trade deadline in 2007 and was later released at the end of that season. Otero has gone on to great success in the LDBI: in 146 games he has compiled a .330 AVG and a .916 OPS, slugging 20 HR while driving in 108 and scoring 113 runs. During the finals he is batting .563 with 1 HR and 4 RBI (both tied for the team lead). Otero will be a free agent at the conclusion of the season.

Baní’s other big free agent-to-be, Andrés “Genocide” Díaz, didn’t fare so well in his first playoffs start against the Cajeros de Fortuna. The 36-year-old Díaz, considered by many scouts to be the LDBI starting pitcher most likely to make the jump to PEBA, was touched up for 6 runs (5 earned) and 11 hits in 6.2 innings in a Game 3 loss. Díaz would likely pitch again in Game 7 if the series goes that far. He’ll want to post a better performance if he hopes to entice a PEBA owner to pony up big free agent bucks for him.

The playoffs have just gotten underway in the San Juan Winter League, with the Bayamón Predators jumping out to a 1-0 series lead against the favored Toa Baja Gringos in the best-of-9 Puerto Rico Showdown. César Rodríguez shut out the Predators over 7 innings to earn the Game 1 win. Rodríguez, who struck out 6 in the contest, is also slated to become a free agent at season’s end. The 30-year-old has been one of the SJWL’s most successful pitchers, going 17-5 with a 3.31 ERA in 30 games. This season he was 7-2 with a 2.96 ERA. He was the recipient of the league’s Outstanding Pitcher Award for the 2007-2008 season.
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#2 Post by Coqui »

Hey, look at my eye for talent (in the Dominican). I really wanted to keep Bell but he just refused to negotiate with me.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Winter Leagues Wrapping Up Play

#3 Post by Denny »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:Baní’s other big free agent-to-be, Andrés “Genocide” Díaz
Classiest nickname in baseball :-x
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Winter Leagues Wrapping Up Play

#4 Post by John »

Codgers wrote:
Borealis - Commissioner wrote:Baní’s other big free agent-to-be, Andrés “Genocide” Díaz
Classiest nickname in baseball :-x
What, you don't think a nickname meaning "the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group" is appropriate? Touchy, touchy.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Denny »

I think what puts me off the most is his promotional tie-in beverage, "Geno-Cider".
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Reg »

Diaz says....terreeeeeblaaay
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#7 Post by Coqui »

Codgers wrote:I think what puts me off the most is his promotional tie-in beverage, "Geno-Cider".
Now that is comedy. Well done sir.

Return to “League News and Articles”