Other
17%

Total votes: 12

Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

Winter Meetings Poll

#1 Post by Coqui »

Which team had the best Winter Meetings and why?

My vote will go to Duluth, who freed massive amounts of salary. They will struggle this year but got enough prospects, picks and cash to really make some strides.

And I traded Navarro.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#2 Post by Tyler »

Fractured. Skull. Dude. I achieved epic amounts of win.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Alan Ehlers

No love for Tempe

#3 Post by Alan Ehlers »

I got the left handed starter I wanted plus the great fielding second basemen, plus I got a few decent prospects
Matt
VIP
VIP

#4 Post by Matt »

Winter meetings objectives

1. Clear salary - whatever the team does this year is immaterial, salary had to go. If salary could be cut, it was.

2. Improve farm system at weak positions, deal from depth. Acquire draft picks when possible,

First trade
Micheal Kelly to Manchester for 1st rd pick, 6th rd pick, CF Larouche. Kelly gets salary off the books. I lose a popular player, but the high pick in the 1st round, plus a 6th rounder, plus a talented young prospect make the deal worth it all the way around. Salary moves and the farm system improves.

Second trade
Vega and Will George to Omaha for Ageda and Moncrief. Needed Vega's salary off the books. Save 2.5 mil roughly this year, and all of it next year. Had to throw in George to sweeten the pot. But depth at 3b in my system, so could afford it. Key here was moving Vega's salary, at almost any cost. This goes a long way towards righting the financial ship, and could make the Calzones a MAJOR player in next years free agent market as there will be almost nothing on the books as far as salary next year.

Third trade
Alfredo Pinto for Kobayashi and Otani. A little salary moves here. Every little bit helps. Pick up two right handed relievers, one of who has already been dealt in yet another deal that cut some salary.

Trade four
Otani dealt to Canton for Guffin and 7th rd pick. Hard to say if Guffin or the 7th round pick amount to much. I have more hopes for the 7th rd pick, but Guffin gives me depth at the AAA level if injuries strike. A little more salary walks away.

Trade five
Fisher and Thornton to Tempe for Keller and Taylor. A bit more salary walks away. Taylor was a stud for SA two years ago, hoping for a rebound as I transition to a younger pitching staff. Keller improves minor league depth at C. Thornton was surplus as I hope to have Lara at the second sack for the next 5-6 years at least. Fisher just a pawn.

Of course, I am not done yet. A lot of salary has been sliced away, but there is work to be done yet.
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Coqui »

Knowing from a couple of sources what Tempe was asking, I am surprised you got Taylor for so little. That one could be great.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#6 Post by Matt »

it's a matter of knowing what he needed. Key for him was getting a second baseman that could field. I was willing to give up Thorton, though I did advise him that Thorton may not be ready for prime time. His scouts seem to think he is ready to handle the job. Second base is not a prime concern for me, I am happy with Lara and putting all my eggs in that basket. I needed to get Taylor, as my rotation is going to be shaky as I deal away veterans, but Keller was key for me. I like the glove, and his bat looks like he may be a Chris Hoiles type at some point. With the development of catchers a little funky, I like having depth there.
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#7 Post by Cole »

The articles posted about the winter meeting were informative. Sorry I missed out my family was in town
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#8 Post by Coqui »

Badgers wrote:The articles posted about the winter meeting were informative. Sorry I missed out my family was in town
Well there are still more to come.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#9 Post by Matt »

fwiw, trading for Miyata, then flipping Miyata for Gonzalez, took my fan interest all the way from 82 to 92.

Just need to push it a bit higher, and we'll be charging some of the highest ticket prices in the league. For a team that might win 70 games.

Rude.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by John »

Calzones wrote:fwiw, trading for Miyata, then flipping Miyata for Gonzalez, took my fan interest all the way from 82 to 92.

Just need to push it a bit higher, and we'll be charging some of the highest ticket prices in the league. For a team that might win 70 games.

Rude.
That's definitely a very clever strategy. Just like in real estate, it appears "flipping" can be quite profitable. It'll be interesting to see what kind of effect it has during the season.
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Hitmen »

Calzones wrote:fwiw, trading for Miyata, then flipping Miyata for Gonzalez, took my fan interest all the way from 82 to 92.

Rude.
Told ya Gonzo would give you more of a boost. :grin:
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Matt
VIP
VIP

#12 Post by Matt »

well, my fan interest was only in the upper 70's to low 80's most of last season, slowly tailing off at the end as we fell out of contention. And we pulled in a little over 96 mil. Couple the higher fan interest with Great fan Loyalty, and I think we can break 100 mil easy, and with total payroll under 70, we wipe out the debt and finish with a surplus heading into free agency next year.

Of course, payroll can still fluctuate a bit. I'm in the market for a few of the cheaper POPULAR players, and on the flip side, I have some contracts still sitting on the trade block. If nothing else, I would expect to move at least one pitcher by the trade deadline, surely someone will be sweating injuries to their rotation by then.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”