Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

Getting to know Brad Dobney

#1 Post by Coqui »

Sunday, 31 August 2008
by Frank Terry, Canton Repository

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Not a lot is known about Canton GM Brad Dobney. He appeared on the scene at much the same time the entire Canton organization did. I went to his house hoping for a Bruce Wayne-type story, what I got was much different.

Frank Terry: What do you see as your most important goal as the GM of this team?

Brad Dobney: Wow, you don't take it easy. It's hard to say. I have to balance wins and losses, fan interest and the payroll. Which of those would you call most important? Yeah, winning is the panacea but that is much easier to talk about than to actually do.

FT: You have three brothers with other teams in the league...

BD: Look, we aren't getting into the brothers thing. Yes, we are close. No, we don't cheat. Yes, beating Bryan is better than a month of free Coldstone. I will say that I have the utmost respect for the way Jared conducts himself despite his neurological problems. Most people think the sickness makes him that way and he does a great job of making them think that.

FT: Dinner, your house, three people.

BD: My wife, my daughter and a person to be named later.

FT: You are avoiding that question.

BD: Yes, I am. How am I supposed to pick? Ok, fine, Frank Lampard. He's the balls. I may have just a tiny man-crush on him.

FT: Pretty sure you can't say "the balls".

BD: Your editor will catch it.

FT: What do you do with your free time?

BD: I hang out with my family and I play soccer. Actually, I play soccer with my wife and our eight-month-old watches. Then, when my wife quits, I play more. I play for a local semi-pro team and I love every minute of it.

FT: You are really into soccer for a baseball GM.

BD: It's the best sport in the world. It cannot be beaten for a team endeavour. Sorry, baseball people, it really just does not compare. You think Rich Garces could play soccer? I doubt it.

FT: Desert island, one book, one band's albums and one alcoholic drink.

BD: Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, Brand New, and an Irish Lemonade. Maybe two, maybe more.

FT: Last question. The Longshoremen play in Svab Memorial Stadium. For whom is that named?

BD: [Long pause] For my friend Donovan. He was a police officer who was dedicated to catching drunk drivers and one night on his way home from work he was killed by a drunk driver. I thought the naming was the least I could do for him.

FT: That was a mood killer.

BD: Well, it says “Memorial”. You had to know it wasn't going to be a happy ending
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

I had no idea about the meaning behind the naming of "Svab Memorial Stadium". That's a very sad story and a very touching tribute. Thank you for sharing it with us, Brad.

Return to “League News and Articles”