Hello!

Pineapple

Hello!

#1 Post by Pineapple »

Hello there PEBA. I'm just dropping in to wish everyone a good Labor day. I'm a hopeful GM, manager, owner or whatever you want to call it. So I'll be content to be on the waiting list until a spot opens up.

I'm 27 and my favorite baseball team is the A's. So my memories as a kid included the Bash Brothers, Stew's stare, Eck's moustache, and Ricky stealing third base.

I've been reading the forums a bit just to get a feel of PEBA and all. It seem there is eclectic group here who are interested in making PEBA a fun place for all.

From what I gathered, PEBA is using OOTP8 and plans to make the jump to OOTP9. I'm pretty new to OOTP in itself so my first experiences are primary with OOTP9. So I am just curious on your thoughts on OOTP9 vs. OOTP8.

I do have some experience in some OOTP9 leagues so I find it interesting the learning process/curve from making the jump. I think the 3 biggest areas in the jump would probably be scouting, injury frequency, and financial.

In one of my leagues, K-Rod of the Angels resigned for 3.9 million per season over 4 years. His previous contract was at 10 million.

As for injury frequency, average probably does give the most realistic frequency of injuries. Unfortunately rather than skewing it towards minor day-to-day injuries or nagging injuries, there is a lot of long term injury. My league have seen about 6 season enders and several career enders during spring training including the minor leagues.

Anyway just saying hello. Sorry for the long winded introductory, I figured it would be good practice since this league promotes writing :)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

Welcome, Kevin! We're glad to have a chance to get to know you here at the forums. Definitely feel free to share any of your thoughts with us, OOTP-related or otherwise. You'll find a number of Indians fans amongst our group, so do stop by our off-topic sports forum for some good-natured AL rivalry ribbing. :)

We will indeed be shifting over to OOTP 9 in a couple of months or so. During my testing of the new platform I've been very impressed with the strides made since OOTP 8. While there remain elements of the game that I'd like to see improved upon, there's really no area where I feel the new version is inferior to the old. It's definitely a solid step forward.

Scouting and finances certainly have changed quite a bit. Scouting in particular will be the most visible change, what with the text reports for all players. The entire nature of ratings has changed as well. Whereas you'd see lots of players with light blue (80+) potential ratings in OOTP 8, those players are very rare in OOTP 9. This really shows up in the draft; 5* prospects are few and far between. The actual underlying talent hasn't changed, but the way the scouts report it has.

In terms of what players ask, that's very much dependent on the financial settings and environment of each individual league. Two different OOTP 9 leagues would likely have K-Rod asking for two very different contracts. It really depends on the particulars of the configuration.

Without a doubt changing injuries to "Average" will result in more SEIs and CEIs. What we need to decide is if that's acceptable when the trade-off is more realistic overall injury frequency and a more challenging gaming experience. I'm in the process of running a 100-year sim during which I will be testing the "Average" injury setting to see how many long-term injuries it produces over the course of several seasons. If it seems reasonable, we may make the switch.

Hope everyone will take a moment to welcome Kevin and get him to speed on PEBA! Now I'll just sit back and wait for Duane to come in here screaming, "IL RULES!" :cry:
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Reg »

Welcome Kevin,

I am a diehard Rangers fan, so naturally I despise you..nothing personal of course :grin:

glad you are here as a prospect and welcome your contribution to the writing that makes PEBA so good and fun...

by the way Duane is just simply stating the facts..maybe in a loud voice..but it is the facts

PT
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Denny »

Welcome Kevin!

Given your username I expect you will have a particular interest in following my short-season A team, the Lana'i City Pineapples. :D
Pineapple

#5 Post by Pineapple »

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Haha nice to know there is a minor league affiliate with the name Pineapple.

Heh, I don't actually despise the Rangers. I kinda feel bad for them actually. They always have good hitting but the pitching hasn't been there. A-Rod's conract and Chan Ho Park were pretty bad. Even when they do well, I expect them to fade during the summer heat of August :) I must admit, Josh Hamilton is a monster though.

I don't really like the Angels though... with the ralley monkey and thundersticks. I respect them though. Scioscia is a hard-nosed manager.

By the way thanks for the explanations and feedback commish. Out of curiousity, is there a reason why there's a lot of Indian fans on the board? Is that a coincidence or did this league start from a couple of friends in Cleveland? Cleveland is a good sports town so I'm sure we have some diehard passionate guys on this board.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by John »

The league was formed over at the Cleveland Indians blog Let's Go Tribe! From there we've progressively added more and more non-Indians fans, but the original group was all Tribe diehards. You can tell that we're Tribe diehards because, like our beloved Indians, we never win: both PEBA championships have been won by "outsiders" (a Yankees fan and a Rangers fan).
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Tyler »

Fuller...is...a...Yankees...fan? :evil: :evil: :evil:
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Reg »

Pineapple wrote:Thanks for the warm welcomes. Haha nice to know there is a minor league affiliate with the name Pineapple.

Heh, I don't actually despise the Rangers. I kinda feel bad for them actually. They always have good hitting but the pitching hasn't been there. A-Rod's conract and Chan Ho Park were pretty bad. Even when they do well, I expect them to fade during the summer heat of August :) I must admit, Josh Hamilton is a monster though.
lol, well I don't really despise the A's either, it seems like they change thier whole roster every season so its hard to settle in on a hated rivarly :grin: Although, I must admit I rooted against the bash brothers in the world series, my favorite player at the time was will clark, so I went for the giants instead, I was also overjoyed when will came and played for the rangers...

and yes the rangers will never win because they keep seeing stars in thier eyes with homerun hitters, when you list the number of pitchers who have came through the system and have gone on to be very good pitchers it is a little disheartening...Volquez, Moyer, Kevin Brown..to name a few
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#9 Post by Coqui »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote: both PEBA championships have been won by "outsiders" (a Yankees fan and a Rangers fan).
Hold the phone, he's a Yankee fan? I didn't know that. That's disgusting.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by John »

Interesting: quite a bit of venom for our resident Yankees fan. This leads me to ask what's worse: New Jersey Hitmen as champs (Yankees fan) or Crystal Lake as champs (Chicago White Sox)?
Pineapple

#11 Post by Pineapple »

Speaking of Yankee fans, my co-worker (who sits next to me) is also a Yankee fan. He is born in Texas.... makes a home in California but ended up as a Yankee fan. He is also a Dallas Cowboys fan.

Is it me but there's a lot of Yankees-Cowboys-Lakers fan combination out there?

Yes I agree, the A's change their roster a lot. Even us fans joke that the A's need to sell jerseys with velcro nameplates. I'm still bumming over the Rich Harden trade. He was fun to watch when healthy. I'm not crying over losing Zito though :)
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Tyler »

I know I'm late to the party, but I want to extend a welcome to you as well. (o)
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by DanD »

Welcome Kevin. A's fans got to be a lot like Indians fans. Do you hate Billy Beane?

John, How soon can I start trading him players?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by John »

Bureaucrats wrote:Welcome Kevin. A's fans got to be a lot like Indians fans. Do you hate Billy Beane?

John, How soon can I start trading him players?
You'll probably have to wait until he actually owns a team. ;)
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by DanD »

Coal Sox wrote:Fuller...is...a...Yankees...fan? :evil: :evil: :evil:
Newman... I mean FULLER!!! The bane of my existence.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”