Clerical Error Sends Garza to Tempe for Nothing

DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Clerical Error Sends Garza to Tempe for Nothing

#1 Post by DanD »

10/27/2008: Arlington, VA – Owner and General Manger John Whitacre has learned his lesson the hard way. He signed some questionable contracts with Travis Bunch and Jesús Suárez in his first year in control. He wasn’t able to sign the necessary bat for the pennant push this season. He decided to extend Gerbrand Bonne – who finished the season out of the rotation – for 2 years at the age of 37.

It seems there has been a succession of questionable transactions that defy logic. On October 26th, the latest transaction to show how mismanaged the Bureaucrats franchise is took place. Fernando Garza was designated for assignment for no apparent good reason. Garza had an All-Star season in AAA with Newport News, batting .285 with 53 extra base hits. He was called up late in the season because OF Carlos Ramírez struggled horribly.

Leadoff hitter extraordinaire Mario Hernández was a week away from injury recovery, yet he was called up to the 25-man roster before he was fully healed. To make room for him, Garza was designated for assignment with an arbitration year remaining. Garza will most likely be given a minimum major league salary of $390,000. To compound the problem, Bunch has a team option of $7.2 million that will not be picked up. Also there is Ernest Cunningham that could be gone. He will turn 39 years old by Opening Day. He has a player option he might walk away from and retire.

With 2 spots open for major league positional players and unable to sign free agents because of budgetary constraints, no one has a clue what will happen next. To add to the faux pas, Garza was traded for in the off-season along with Paul Martin to Kentucky for a 2008 5th round pick. Asked for comment, Whitacre had this to say, “I screwed up. I know. What do you want me to say?? You guys think this job is easy?”

Maybe there is good news after all. Mr. Whitacre has announced that the highest bidder gets to join the board of directors of the Arlington franchise for the entire 2009 season, starting on November 15th. No player personnel move will be made without this person’s approval. All proceeds will be given to the national Alzheimer’s Association. Mr. Whitacre has pledged to match the donation amount, if he remembers
Alan Ehlers

Tempe thanks you

#2 Post by Alan Ehlers »

he is a welcome addition to our club and is going to help us win a lot of games. sorry you made the error , it sucks but I can not give him back he is too good. My scouts blew thier loads when they rescouted him
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by DanD »

Good to know. Glad to help.

Return to “League News and Articles”