advice about arbitration

Alan Ehlers

advice about arbitration

#1 Post by Alan Ehlers »

I have three guys who I want to resign who are eligible for arbitration. Should I

a. let them go to arbitration and see how much they get
or
b. sign them for an extension and meet their demand

Waht does everyone think is the best course of action

With arbitration they only recieve on year deals right?, and after they recieve it I can not sign them to extensions right?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

p.s

I am still looking for a great fielding lefthanded hitting firstbasemen and second basemen and any offer will be consdered. However, when offering anything remember I am small market team who can take on huge contracts
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#2 Post by Dinosaurs »

You are correct that a player going through arbitration will only receive a one year contract, although I think you are incorrect about not being able to sign them to an extension. You can still offer them an extension that would begin at the conclusion of the one-year arbitration settlement contract (i.e. would start in the 2010 season, following the 2009 arbitration set contract). You of course lose out on the chance to get the player to play for less than arbitration level in exchange for the security of having a long term contract.

It depends completely on the player and to lesser degree on the position of the player (i.e. pitchers might be at a higher risk for injury, etc.). You can buy out all of a players arbitration years at a pretty cheap price, but then you also take the risk of that player being injured (happend to me with Javier Encarnacion. But as a small market its probably worth the risk because you aren't going to be able to sign big time free agents and keeping the young players you develop is going to be only that much more important.
Sandgnats (Bill)

#3 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

No GM can guess with great degree of accuracy what arbitration players will be awarded. But, one golden rule that I learned last year is this:

There is a significant difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year arbitration players. Meaning that a player going into their 1st year of arbitration will usually make a good amount less than market value. You will have much less of a chance of that happening with 3rd year arbee players.

Take that into consideration when you're weighing your arbitration options.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”