Worst Baseball Movies

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Alan Ehlers

Worst Baseball Movies

#1 Post by Alan Ehlers »

I am all about lists, I love them. So I am curious to do this. I think we have done the best baseball movies so now lets do the 5 worst. Here is my list , not in order

1. Major League 2
Major League was not great but at least it had its moments. Major League 2 is bad from beggining to end, you wonder if the director of this movie had ever seen a game or know how baseball works

2. Major League 3- it has Ted Mcgintley in it, enough said

3. Rookie of the Year. The end was so horrendous and the movie was so far fetched I am wondering how it got made. The Cubs have it bad enough but to get attached to this stinker makes everything worse

4. Fear Strikes Out- If you watch this , try not to laugh when Anthony perkins throws the ball. What gets me is after watching this movie people were shocked that Perkins was gay

5. The Babe Ruth Story, and the Babe. Babe Ruth is deserving of a good biopic , However, these two are absolutely terrible. John Goodman is so out of shape it looks like he will drop in a minute. Say what you want about Ruth but he was a pretty good athlete, after watching these two movies you wonder how he ever won a game

Im sure there is more

I could go with the most overated baseball which is Pride of the Yankees

Did we do the best baseball movies yet John ?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

We didn't have a strict "best of" list, but Dean of Crystal Lake started a great thread with all kinds of detailed recommendations on great baseball movies. Others chimed in as well, so yeah, I guess that area is pretty well covered.

I'm pleased to say I've missed all 5 of the "worst of" films you listed (yes, I somehow managed not to see the Major League sequels). Of course I've also missed all the good baseball films as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only two baseball films I've ever seen are Major League and The Natural (I'm also familiar with the stage version of Damn Yankees!). Odd that I love baseball so much and yet never watch films about it. Guess I'm too busy watching weird stuff like In Bruges.
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by DanD »

A Slugger's Wife even if it had a young Rebecca DeMornay. What about the Angels in the Outfield remake?
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Ghosts »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote: Guess I'm too busy watching weird stuff like In Bruges.
man, i like your taste.

for my money, in bruges was the oddest, quietest, strangest, best, most beautiful movie of 2008. i really think it's the favorite thing i saw this year. and whoever was in charge of marketing it should be shot: it was nothing like what i thought and 100 times better.

nice call.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”