baseball Trivia question

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Alan Ehlers

baseball Trivia question

#1 Post by Alan Ehlers »

along with baseball cards I love trivia. For example,I can name all the World series winners and losers from 1903 till today. I can tell you who the winner beat and in how many games. Here are a few trivia questions if anyone wants to take a stab at them

1. name the 4 pitchers who have thrown two no hitters in a year?

2. name the only pitcher to throw a no hitter in his first start.

3. name the only player to have hit a homerun in his only world series at bat? It is not Kirk Gibson

4. Name the only two pitchers who have 200 wins with under .500 winning % for their career
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#2 Post by DanD »

The only way I would know more than two of these is to look it up. I knew the Cincy and the LA guy. I knew the Cincy guy from an 1986 fleer sticker card. Got to love the internet, it was only way I knew the rest of these. Who knew Charlie Hough finished 216-216. I can't believe number 3 was in my lifetime. #4 I had no idea and found it in baseball digest. Did the guy even play more than

Found an interesting no hitter trivia in the mean time. Name the only player to get no hitters in 4 consecutive seasons?

By the way, did anyone else take Charles Alexander's Baseball History class at Ohio University? I felt honored to get an A-. The man was a god!!!
Alan Ehlers

It was Koufax

#3 Post by Alan Ehlers »

63-66
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by DanD »

Obscure baseball fact. Did you know that only one player in baseball history was not born in any country? How do say that could happen. According to baseball-reference.com, Edmund Joseph Porray was born on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean on December 5th, 1888. Porray pitched 3 games in the Federal League in 1914.
Sandgnats (Bill)

#5 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Alright, you want a tough baseball question.....

This one doesn't involve any stats or memory whatsoever. Just baseball wit. I can admit I wasn't even close on this one.

There was a AA game a few years back where there was a triple play where the baseball was never touched by a glove!

Good luck figuring this one out! Not internet cheating please. Just try and think about it.
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by DanD »

Buck Showalter talked about it on baseball tonight this year. Apparently he was the manager on the team it happened to. As I remember it, guys on first and second, batted ball hits a runner, another guy gets passed on the base paths and I don't remember the rest... need to lay off the alcohol. :(
Sandgnats (Bill)

#7 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Bureaucrats wrote:Buck Showalter talked about it on baseball tonight this year. Apparently he was the manager on the team it happened to. As I remember it, guys on first and second, batted ball hits a runner, another guy gets passed on the base paths and I don't remember the rest... need to lay off the alcohol. :(
Damn, you saw that. My friend told me about it. Yep, Buck was managing a AA team when it happened. There was man on first and second with nobody out obviously. The manager's thinking big inning here.

What happens? The batter hits a sky high infield pop up. There's one out due to the infield fly rule. The runner on 1st(probably drank a lot more than you the night you saw this on TV) actually runs past 2nd base and the runner on 2nd, so that's the second out. I'm assuming the runner on 2nd was stunned by the other runner's stupidity and doesn't bother to watch the ball and the pop up actually hits him. There's your 3rd out! Unreal, a triple play without the defense touching the ball.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”