MVP's of Your TEAM

Sandgnats (Bill)

#16 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

On offense:
It is a close call between 1B Manny Lopez& DH P.J. Thomas. After PEBA 2007, we needed to really improve the offense. It was basically 9th in most offensive categories and that cost us in the playoffs. So, our #1 priority offensively was that we needed a HR guy. Manny Lopez filled that role wonderfully. Although, he only hit .233(quite disappointing), he smashed 40 HR's(3rd in PEBA) and knocked in 124 RBI. His job was to knock in runs and he did just that.

Despite Lopez performing a little better than we had hoped, I think our offensive MVP is 1B/DH P.J. Thomas. Why? Because he hit in the 2 and 3 hole all year and consistently hit for a high average! In my mind, that consistency is more valuable and consequently more harmful to opposing pitchers than a big HR guy. Thomas only missed 1 game, hit .328, tied for the SL lead in hits with 214 and knocked in 110! He was the glue to holding our offense together in my mind.

On the pitching side, that is a terribly difficult decision. Our staff was amazing! I knew it would be one of the best in PEBA, but they exceeded my expectations. I mean of our 5 starters, the one with the least amount of K's had 185! It is between 2 pitchers-SP 'Pickles' & MR Merlin Peters. Pickles was 16-2 with an outstanding 2.10 ERA. He also had an eye-popping 6.6 K/BB ratio! :shock: He is the man of the rotation in my mind.

But, MVP means most valuable and I don't think anyone was more valuable to Crystal Lake than Merlin Peters. He filled 3 roles for us in 2008. He was the #1 long relief guy primarily, a setup guy, and our backup closer. His stats were unreal! He struck out 126 men as a reliever, compiled a miniscule 1.14 ERA, saved 12 games, and most importantly won 11 games without starting a game and lost none! When it comes to the league's best teams, I think the bullpen decides the big games. He won Crystal Lake so many games, he deserves to be our team pitching MVP.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Tyler »

For MVP of the Borealis, I nominate: everybody.

The oldest starter (on the offensive side of things) is Chris Weaver, aged 28, he of the 83.4 VORP, fourth best in PEBA.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#18 Post by John »

Coal Sox wrote:For MVP of the Borealis, I nominate: everybody.

The oldest starter (on the offensive side of things) is Chris Weaver, aged 28, he of the 83.4 VORP, fourth best in PEBA.
:oops:

Now somebody clue me in as to how I'm going to keep these guys! :-o
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by Tyler »

Yeah, arbitration's gonna be a ***** in a few years, if not now. You gotta hope they all have low greed ratings. :-o
Matt
VIP
VIP

#20 Post by Matt »

pitching, staff ace Gibson with 19 wins. True ace. Worth every penny.

hitting, Michael Kelly. miscast as a cleanup hitter, would have had far more impressive numbers had the Calzones had even a facsimile of a leadoff hitter. Plays great defense too. All around player, for my money best 3b in league.
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#21 Post by DanD »

Pitching- I could pick just about anyone, but Ronald Workman comes to mind because he was just a reliever last year but won 20 starts this year. Wow!!! A close second to closer Peter Goodwin who went from setup for a bad team to a closer saving 42 out of 46.

Batting- 3B Kiril Nijenboer +11.5 vorp from last year batting 3rd on a minimum salary(26.5 overall). Number two would be CF Mario Hernandez. He's a great leadoff hitter that knows how to score in close games. He got hurt, my team forgot how to score.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”