Manny/Bay Trade

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

Manny/Bay Trade

#1 Post by Maulers »

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the Red Sox pretty much got hosed on this deal? Best case scenario is that Manny and Bay are a wash, though I think that there's very good reason to believe that Manny is significantly better than Bay over the course of Bay's contract. But then, the Red Sox also give up Moss and Hansen - two pretty good prospects. I know that they wanted Manny gone, but thumbs down on this deal - the Dodgers are the big winners, I think.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

I think their back were against the wall, what with Manny's behavior. Teams new the Sox were desperate to get him out of the clubhouse and leveraged that against them. Given that fact, I don't think the return (Bay) is unreasonable. But certainly more would (and should) have been expected if all things were equal and Manny wasn't being a total jackass.

As a side note, I think it'd be really cool if OOTP emulated "clubhouse cancers". It'd give teams an extra consideration in some situations; do you keep that big star that's dividing your team in two? Of course everyone knows you want to be rid of him, so it's going to be harder to get full value. Would be an interesting additional consideration.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Ghosts »

i gotta believe there's more to the story. they were only saddled with manny for two more months (and the next two years were club options) ... he must have done or said something truly unforgivable because otherwise i can't understand why they'd make this move in the midst of a playoff chase.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Denny »

The thing is, although on a pure talent acquired/surrendered basis, the Dodgers did very well, LA is more or less overflowing with outfielders now, which makes it a little less of a perfect fit for their situation. Still a good deal for them overall, though. I'd say the Pirates got the best of the deal, LA next best, and the Red Sox the worst.

Heh....I hope Bay sucks like the suckiest suck that's ever sucked when he gets to Boston, and that the Dodgers go on to the WS. Sweet, sweet spite! 8)
Alan Ehlers

Red Sox

#5 Post by Alan Ehlers »

I think the Red Sox did alright getting Bay, as for the Pirates, it does not matter who they got if they are any good they will not be on the Pirates for too long. All the Pirates are is a minor league organization for other teams.
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Hitmen »

Bears wrote:i gotta believe there's more to the story. they were only saddled with manny for two more months (and the next two years were club options) ... he must have done or said something truly unforgivable because otherwise i can't understand why they'd make this move in the midst of a playoff chase.
"The Red Sox don't deserve a player like me," Ramirez told ESPNdeportes.com Wednesday. "During my years here, I've seen how they [the Red Sox] have mistreated other great players when they didn't want them to try to turn the fans against them.

"The Red Sox did the same with guys like Nomar Garciaparra and Pedro Martinez, and now they do the same with me. Their goal is to paint me as the bad guy. I love Boston fans, but the Red Sox don't deserve me. I'm not talking about money. Mental peace has no price, and I don't have peace here."

Just one of several quotes over the last few days that pretty much sealed the deal. The Bosox are hoping for addition by subtraction. The Yankees are the winners in this deal though. Getting him not only out of the AL East, but out of the AL (at least for the rest of the season) can only help them.

Now, Junior moving to the ChiSox, that is quite interesting.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Ghosts »

file under the most annoying thing i heard this week:

so we're on vacation (in Charleston ... good god, whoever was talking up Charleston last week could not have been more correct. i'm half-tempted to just move there tomorrow) and manny gets traded to the angels.

we're watching sports center when we check into the hotel and they show a manny clip in his first doger game and my girlfriend -- the red sox fan -- has the nerve to say, "turn it off! i can't bear to see him in another team's uniform ... they'll never love manny the way we did".

i almost threw one of those water glasses at her. a BOSTON fan is crying because "THEIR" manny is somewhere else and will never be loved like they loved him? i wanted to throw up.

after a 12-15 minute disatribe about manny and the tribe, etc. i pretty much shut down the entire argument by pointing out that it is now a given that Manny goes to the HOF as a member of the Tribe (which was accompanied by me immitating a grandkid asking her, "Nana, did Manny Ramirez really play for the Red Sox? I thought he was a Cleveland Indian". I recommend this tack very highly, there was no further discussion of the point the rest of the weekend.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”