BASEBALL CARDS

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Sandgnats (Bill)

BASEBALL CARDS

#1 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Hey all,
If you were a baseball card (yes, I was/am geeky) collector like myself, this will definitely be worth while to view. I took baseball card collecting pretty seriously in my younger days. Of course, my collection has never amounted to a hill of beans. I did have a terrific amount of fun trying to collect complete sets before they offered them as sets. But, when I became a little older, I lost sight of the fun. So, here's a look at the lighter side of card collecting.

http://www.joesportsfan.com/column.php?postid=595

ENJOY!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

I'm waiting for Tyler of West Virginia to jump in here... I know he's a big card collector.

Actually, that reminds me that I noticed they opened a new Cards & Memorabilia Trading Post over at the OOTP forums. It's a very new section and only has 3 posts in it so far, but there are a lot of big baseball fans in that community. If you have an interest in collecting, it may be worth a visit.
Alan Ehlers

Baseball Cards

#3 Post by Alan Ehlers »

I admit I am a collector. I have complete Sets from 1970-1981, and about 1000 cards from 1962-1969. I have all the 1962 Mets along with Koufax from 63-66. I have all Tome Seaver and Reggie Jacksons cards because they were my favorite players growing up. As for other baseball items, I have about 100 autographs, dirt from about 10 hall of fame players graves. Bricks from Old League Park in Cleveland, tickets from the last game at the Vet , Seats from Riverfront, dirt from Old Yankee Stadium, and various other things. I also have a 1956 baseball signed by the entire Yankee team. If I put all my stuff out I have a mini Cooperstown
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by DanD »

I started collecting in 1981 at the age of seven. During every season until I had a driver's license, I continued to collect at an astounding rate. I inherited my brother's and brother in law's collection. I continued to gather and add to my collection. Everytime grades came out or every cent that I earned during this time frame, I purchased more baseball cards. I traded everyone of my friends for more cards. I once traded a friend of mine his entire collection for a Patrick Ewing rookie card. In addition, I had another friend who was willing to trade a significant amount of cards from the 1960s for one of my 1985-86 fleer basketball sets that I bought for less than $10 (Jordan, Ewing, and Olajuwon rookies). As of 1990, I managed to accumulate over 30,000 baseball cards.

Since that moment of getting my driver's license, I have bought less than 500 cards in total. I have not sold, bought, or traded for another card since 1991. However, I have made a significant purchase this past weekend, I bought the Topps football and baseball books. If you're unfamiliar with these books, its a color picture of every card they made between 1951 and 1985. I cannot wait to get these items. I am willing to share these item with any of you. I won't send the books but be willing to scan certain pages or cards upon your request.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by John »

Bureaucrats wrote:I am willing to share these item with any of you. I won't send the books but be willing to scan certain pages or cards upon your request.
That's a very generous offer, John! I know there's a number of collectors here that would probably love that.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: BASEBALL CARDS

#6 Post by Ghosts »

Sandgnats (Bill) wrote:So, here's a look at the lighter side of card collecting.

http://www.joesportsfan.com/column.php?postid=595

ENJOY!

my reactions:

1. MY GOD that dude really does look like an extra in one of the Scarface club scenes.

2. DUDE, you can't mock Eric Plunk!

3. HAHAHAHAHAHAH - Jason Giambi looks like me at 12!
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by DanD »

Does anyone have the 1988 Fleer Billy Ripken? I dig it out occassionally for laughs. Also, what about Wally Moon's unibrow? I love sideburns on the mid 70s cards!!! I love the in action cards of the early 70s.
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#8 Post by Maulers »

My top value card is a 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson Rookie card. Now that the bastard has finally retired, we can get on the with the hall of fame price spike and I can finally start the kids' college funds.
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by DanD »

I have the books now (Topps Baseball Cards 1951-1985 and Topps Football Cards 1956-1986). My scanner is a little dusty and I might need some better software. Feel free to email me any baseball or football card requests. john@whitacre.org is my email address. I am on cloud nine.
Sandgnats (Bill)

#10 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Bureaucrats wrote:Does anyone have the 1988 Fleer Billy Ripken? I dig it out occassionally for laughs. Also, what about Wally Moon's unibrow? I love sideburns on the mid 70s cards!!! I love the in action cards of the early 70s.
I have the F-Face Billy Ripken card! lol I was lucky enough to get one and I was naive enough to think it would be priceless someday. Here's one card I happen to remember of the top of my head. John, since you now have your amazing color books, check out a player named Larry Herndon. I cannot remember if he was with the Mets or Giants. He had the biggest lips of any human I'd ever seen!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh God, remember all of the huge fro Phillies around 1980? Bake McBride & Garry Maddox. Oh man, that takes me back. Do you remember the 1978 Topps set I think it was, where on the back of the cards, they had a hitters At Bat. It would say single, strikeout, walk, etc. It was awesome! Before the days of PEBA and baseball table top games, I used to play with my childhood buddies and use those cards for a 'real-life' MLB experience!! :grin:

I have a ton of Pete Rose cards and had a good amount of Willie Mays cards. I think my most valuable card was either a Rod Carew rookie (I actually took a picture with Carew during his amazing 1977 season) or some Mickey Mantle card. I think it was a 1956, but I can't remember. I stopped collecting in the early 90's. My childhood fav players were C Johnny Bench (Reds) and later on 1B Cecil Cooper (Brewers). So, my favorite card was definitely my Bench rookie card. The only way I could afford it was to get a crappy condition one. :cry:

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”