BEST ATHLETE EVER?????

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Sandgnats (Bill)

BEST ATHLETE EVER?????

#1 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Alright gents, I just saw an article where Olympians were asked who they thought best represented the perfect athlete.

Mr. Tiger Woods came in #1, with Michael Jordan a close second. I thought about doing a poll, but I'll leave it open. Who's your choice?

Is it Wilt Chamberlain, Lance Armstrong, Jim Thorpe, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson, Wayne Gretzky, Jerry Rice?? You can name any athlete ever. Yes, even Cecil Fielder can be your choice! :lol: :lol:

I cast my vote for Michael Jordan as his drive towards success was astounding. Despite his championships, he made his team better around him and he could do it all in his sport. He was also pretty talented in the world of baseball and golf too. Without going into great detail, he grabs my vote.

your thoughts?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

Do you have a link to the article? I'd like to know whose opinion this represents so I know whom I ripping apart. ;)
Sandgnats (Bill)

#3 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

What is a link!??!?

Am I the only one here who receives their news telepathically? geez!

OK, I googled this link thing and I think you are speaking of a 'internet' link that represents where info about the story can be found. If so, try this

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?s ... &type=lgns

Was that a decent Denny-PS impersonation? :lol: :lol:
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Reg »

nah, Denny doesn't know what a google is... :grin:

personally i don't like polls like this, in my opinion it is too hard to judge athleticism cross sports, I mean maybe if Tiger Woods reenacted that beer comercial and sunk the put with a 300 plus pound lineman about to sack him....

while Jordan displays some aptitude for more than one sport, there have been several players who have been pretty dominant at more than one sport, think what could have been if Bo Jackson hadn't had a career ending injury...and Deion Sanders was decent at baseball and lights out at football...

maybe the best athletes are hockey players who do some pretty amazing things while skating on ice...

:grin:
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Duane »

I'm thinkin "Kingpin" hmmmmmmm all of those athletes in polyesther pink/salmon (whatever it's the same damn thing). Maybe the best are in ping-pong (Forest, Forest Gump???) ... no wait dog sledding the Ididdarod (however you spell it)!!!
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Reg »

Thoroughbreds wrote:I'm thinkin "Kingpin" hmmmmmmm all of those athletes in polyesther pink/salmon (whatever it's the same damn thing). Maybe the best are in ping-pong (Forest, Forest Gump???) ... no wait dog sledding the Ididdarod (however you spell it)!!!
Don't let Denny hear that, he's convinced salmon is somehow manlier than pink
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Denny »

Everyone in this thread has been removed from my will. Consarned salmon-hating kids today and their "Goo-gle", or whatever it is! :evil:
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by John »

Codgers wrote:Everyone in this thread has been removed from my will. Consarned salmon-hating kids today and their "Goo-gle", or whatever it is! :evil:
What did I do to deserve getting removed from your will?? I'm in this thread too, ya know!

I agree with Paul: it's incredibly difficult (if not impossible) to compare athletes from different sports. Apples and oranges and all that. Personally, I prefer rating the best athletic commercial. My vote goes to this one.
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Reg »

Codgers wrote:Everyone in this thread has been removed from my will. Consarned salmon-hating kids today and their "Goo-gle", or whatever it is! :evil:
Dang it, missing out on a whole 2 dollars....hmmm...what if I said the Codgers were my favorite team that wore girl colors? hmm...hmm...am I back in? :grin:
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#10 Post by Coqui »

I know I will get laughed down on this one but... what about a football (I mean real football by that) player? Running down a 125 yard pitch and then leaping as high as you can while someone else tries to cut your legs and his teammate goes for your head takes some serious ability. I'm not even sure if I buy this, just throwing it out there.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Ghosts »

easy: pat lilly.
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Reg »

Longshoremen wrote:I know I will get laughed down on this one but... what about a football (I mean real football by that) player? Running down a 125 yard pitch and then leaping as high as you can while someone else tries to cut your legs and his teammate goes for your head takes some serious ability. I'm not even sure if I buy this, just throwing it out there.
I would like to add to this whatabout with a whatabout of mine own..there are runners who do ironman challenges and run/walk for 18-24 hours straight...that takes some athlete to complete 50 mile courses overnight...especially since they were running in the high elevation of the mountain in Colorado
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Coqui »

I am having a hard time working up to a marathon. I cannot imagine doing one of those Ironman run or an ultra-marathon. Unreal.

And, for the sake of full disclosure, I happen to play soccer/football so that was a bit self-indulgent.
Sandgnats (Bill)

#14 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Longshoremen wrote:I am having a hard time working up to a marathon. I cannot imagine doing one of those Ironman run or an ultra-marathon. Unreal.

And, for the sake of full disclosure, I happen to play soccer/football so that was a bit self-indulgent.
I am with you Brad! You almost have to be a little insane to complete a marathon. So, speaking of ironman competitions-they are almost unfathomable to me! I mean the time involved in training for a marathon takes incredible dedication. Just imagine, a marathon only being one-third of the competition. It's just mind boggling to me!

WAIT A MINUTE!

All of us have not even mentioned eating champions like Kobayashi! They are considered by some to be the newest athletes. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#15 Post by Apollos »

Eating - there is a skill :grin:

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”